Bellhousing problems (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was installing my 4 speed transmission to a bellhousing I purchased some time ago. Not sure if the threads on the bellhousing were already in bad shape, but as I was bolting up the transmission I found that the bolts would appear to tighten yet never tighten entirely. Just kept spinning. I found this was the case on three of the four threaded holes. I removed the transmission and found that in fact three of the four holes were nearly absent of any threads. I was going to go one size up in bolt and tap new threads. However, I found that I would not be able to due to the size of the bolt head. No room for a wrench or socket to tighten. Here is what I did, please give opinions on whether this will still be as strong as should be. I purchased bolts that were slightly longer and ran them from inside the bellhousing so that they appear like studs and then used bolts and lock washers to tighten the transmissions to the bellhousing. I would appreciate any feedback that could be provided.
IMG_0066.jpg

Last edited:
Except for the pain in the butt of reaching up into the bellhousing with a wrench, I think it should be fine.

Should be fine.

Howdy! Should work fine. Been done many times before. But, you could have gone oversized by using socket head bolts. They don't need any external clearance for the wrenches. John

it probalby couldn't hurt to throw some lock-tite on them;)

What I wa originally thinking was, new bellhousing=$30, no more thinking about it

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom