Bellcrank return spring (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have an 81' with the stock 22R. On the bellcrank linkage to the carburetor, there is a tensioner type of spring. Is there any source for this spring? It is a special shape and the throttle doesn't operate properly without it.

No luck at any of the local auto store, junkyards, etc. The local Toyota dealer maybe can get it for me, with a $200 bellcrank attached though.

Post a pic. I have 3 core carbs, so I should have associated parts.

I think I know what you're talking about, but it'll be tomorrow b/f I can post a pic to be sure.

Would it resemble a question mark on its side? Has a clip to keep it from coming out where it joins the carb?

Here is a pic, showing the spring to the left. I looked at Toyotas at 3 of my local junk yards, including cars, trucks, and vans. Not one of them had the same setup. I took the old spring and carefully unwound 1 1/2 of the end into a straight piece; kind of like a mouse trap spring. I really don't know what it looked like unbroken. The parts diagrams I got at the dealership showed a spring return bracket, which mine is not equiped with.

The bushings were non existant, so I used some door lock guides/ grommits from my fj55 parts hoard. They were sticky at first so I had double springs ghetto style, but now I have just one. The setup works fine, but will not likely last that long.

So does anyone have a spare bellcrank spring and/ or anything that is missing on my seup that they would like to part with?
DSCF0039.JPG

There is no provision for attaching anything to the fenderwell, you must have a different arrangement. Also, I don't have a 2 foot long spring handy. With the single spring setup and no bellcrank return tension, the throttle will open up.

I drove the truck about 3 hours each way to Truckhaven last weekend. My custom spring almost works, but if you are tricky you can set the throttle to around 1000rpm (while inside the cab) now due to a sticky spot. Easy to undo.

Got a bellcrank assembly with bushings and springs? I can buy it or trade for fj40 or fj55 parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom