Bellcrank/Brake Drum problem. Help!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Dealer quoted $600 to replace the emergency brake cable (I guess I looked like I was on crack at the time and would bite off on it). I replaced it myself at a cost of $90 bucks for the cable and $23 bucks for a new left side bell crank (Little spring thingy holding the e-brake cable to the drum). I installed it and the thingy and adjusted the cable to the the seven to nine clicks per FSM specs. Now when I drive it...it makes a tapping noise in the left rear wheel drum. When I turn while driving sometimes it goes away and does not make the noise in reverse.

Did I adjust too far? Is the bell crank or some spring on the bell crank or brake system hitting something?

I could find no rubbing on the back side so I guess I have to take the tire and drum off and see if anyting is there. Anyone have this happen to them?

Since I'm a simple guy, I've learned to follow a simple rule - if you have a problem after you do a repair first look extra carefull at what you just repaired, because usually that's where the problem comes from.

I figure it's all part of the learning process - somethings you do right the first time, somethings you do right the second (or third) time...

Not saying you're like me, just what I've learned.

...based on the above rule, I'd look inside the rear brake again...

yo must have hooked something up wrong. did you leave the brake on or something...need more to drink...can't think strait

You may just need to adjust both shoes the same. Put the rear axle on jack stands & adjust both sides as tight as you can & back them off so they each make only one ssssh per revolution.

If that doesn't help, back up on the stands & take the drums off & check for any visual difference right to left. Never take both sides apart at the same time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom