SOLD Belgium 1994 LHD HZJ75 Pickup, 141k miles, Locking Diffs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Not mine, and no affiliation with the seller, but I know a guy who lives very close to this one and could easily check it out for you and get it to the port for shipment if you want. PM if interested.

Looks like it could use a little love--maybe some windshield frame rust(?), but reasonably low miles, 1HZ and factory locking differentials in a left hand drive pickup. Not a lot of these available for import, but this one's just over 25 years old, so no problem to bring it in.

Find it here:

Photos for posterity:
3.jpg
1.jpg
2.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg

AS a bare minimum this one will need new fenders,hood, windshield frame and bed hoping that the floors and cab are still ok , add the 25% chicken tax and better hope that the frame is solid. With all the relatively rust free South American and Middle Eastern gas pickups it makes more sense to me to do a diesel swap on one of those then spending 20K to get this one here as is .

All that's been said about this one is true, and @joekatana is probably pretty close re: what it would cost by the time someone got it home to the USA. I personally am not interested in buying it, and I totally understand why others might not be, but I just figured it was noteworthy given it's combination of features: reasonable price, left-hand drive, factory 1HZ, reasonably low miles, locking diffs, and over 25 years old (thus legal to import). There aren't a lot like this floating around out there.

For comparison, there's this one in France:

Beautiful. Low km's. Lockers. A/C. 1HZ. No rust apparent. LHD. Nice color. But it's 31,000 Euro and not importable for 6 years. I like it, but 6 years is a long time to wait.

I feel fortunate every day to own my 7x pickup given how dismal the market is for anything decent

x3

I feel the same way about my Troopy. I've been keeping an eye on the +25 year-old 70-series truck market for several years now, and haven't seen another one as nice.

I feel fortunate every day to own my 7x pickup given how dismal the market is for anything decent
x3

I feel the same way about my Troopy. I've been keeping an eye on the +25 year-old 70-series truck market for several years now, and haven't seen another one as nice.
X4 or is it X5 now?

If you were looking for a 75 series pickup now, what avenue would you use? I see lots of central/South American trucks that are trash.

I feel like a middle eastern (low humidity/desert) 3F gasser truck would be fairly common. Then I can engine swap a 1HZ. Your thoughts?

I would stay away from anything that came from South America, there may be some nice trucks down there but I have never seen one.

I think the Mid Eastern 3f or 1fz powered trucks would be nice, especially if you could find a fuel injected fzj75!

You may try contacting Joekatana here on mud, he might be able to find a bj/pzj/hzj75 out of Europe, I had a bj45 and it was a total dog on the highway so I would imagine an bj75 wouldn't be much better but at least you would have a starting point and a 1hz swap wouldn't be too difficult.

The sad reality of 75-series pickups is that they're subject to the "chicken tax". Google it. It's a tragedy. The short version is that, technically speaking, trucks like those have a 25% import duty here in the USA. Passenger cars are only 2.5%, which is much more reasonable. 25% duty can be a real buzz kill on a truck that's probably already going to be expensive to buy, and expensive to ship.

As for where to find one, yes, the Middle East has some that aren't too rusty, but beware that some will have had...uh...creative...repair work done on them. They can usually be put right, since most parts are readily available, just take note of the possibility. Often petrol, some with a/c, but no heater.

I agree re: Central and South America. There may be some nice ones there, but that hasn't been my experience. The majority I've seen seem to fall into the "spray and pray" category. Good from far, far from good.

Australians usually use their trucks, so by the time they're old enough to import to the USA, they're often more or less spent. And, of course, they're all RHD. There's heaps of them, though.

European trucks can sometimes be found with reasonable km's and service records, but, especially in the north, they salt their roads, so rust can be an issue. Check carefully.

You can probably start to form an idea in your mind as to why there aren't a lot of them about. It's not impossible, though, if you're persistent. If I were looking for one (which I may someday be), I'd really only shop Europe, and just wait as long as I needed to to find a nice one for myself.

Or just buy one that's already here. There's a few out there. I think there was one in the classified a while back. In Utah, I think. Don't remember hearing if it sold.

I would stay away from anything that came from South America, there may be some nice trucks down there but I have never seen one.

I think the Mid Eastern 3f or 1fz powered trucks would be nice, especially if you could find a fuel injected fzj75!

You may try contacting Joekatana here on mud, he might be able to find a bj/pzj/hzj75 out of Europe, I had a bj45 and it was a total dog on the highway so I would imagine an bj75 wouldn't be much better but at least you would have a starting point and a 1hz swap wouldn't be too difficult.

i guess you haven’t seen mine - Venezuela origin, well documented, rust free. 5 speed, 4.5L. They are out there, just rare.

You guessed right. Sounds like a nice truck, is it carbed or fuel injected?

The sad reality of 75-series pickups is that they're subject to the "chicken tax". Google it. It's a tragedy. The short version is that, technically speaking, trucks like those have a 25% import duty here in the USA. Passenger cars are only 2.5%, which is much more reasonable. 25% duty can be a real buzz kill on a truck that's probably already going to be expensive to buy, and expensive to ship.

Are you confident the Chicken Tax applies to used vehicle imports? The majority of the discussions I have seen online are referring to new vehicles. But I honestly don't know.

Also, is there anyway to modify the Pickup to avoid the Chicken Tax (add rear seats to the bed?). Just thinking out loud here. Not trying to break any laws.

Last edited:
Are you confident the Chicken Tax applies to used vehicle imports?

Yes. Neither the original Presidential Proclamation from 1963 (Lyndon Johnson) nor the Harmonized Tariff Schedule (the codes that describe imported goods and from which tariffs are determined) make any distinction between new and used vehicles. The rule has always been applied equally to new and used cars.

Modifying a car to avoid the Chicken Tax can't technically work, since the tax is based on how the vehicle was "originally configured by the manufacturer", i.e. "primarily designed for the transport of goods", or "primarily designed for the transport of people". It's hard to argue that a pickup was primarily designed to carry people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom