Belgian BJ 46 having internal leak in Diesel Injection Pump (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m new on this forum, so here a small introduction.

I have been traveling in a Landcruiser BJ 46, previous with my parent and now together with my wife and parents for many years. My dad has built it up for serious offroad travels. (See picture below)

The car has more than 600 000 km’s on its first engine, (3,5L 3B engine)

Now this time we have shipped it to Baltimore and started driving upwards in to Canada, back in to USA and now currently we are up in Fairbanks Alaska. Later we will be driving down the western states in to Central America.

Now here is the problem:

On both picture you can see a circle with an arrow pointing to the bolt on the diesel injection pump. One picture is taken out of the work manual the other is the picture of the pump itself. My father has modified the original bolt at first to make it easier to bleed the chamber incase of fluids building up in this chamber.

Since the beginning in1984, about every 1000 km he bled the chamber and 1 to 3 drips of oil came out.
Now we went up the Brooks range in Alaska and for the first time this camber contained diesel, on average when we bleed this chamber we get 5-8 drips of diesel and this time this occurs after every drive longer than 50 km’s. Even when the car is not driving some drops come out of this chamber.
There is no lost of power and the engine runs smooth, no strange sounds and the exhaust emission is normal.

Part of that there are no leaks on the exterior parts of the injection pump.

On the picture taken out of the manual you can also notice a rectangle around the bolt joining both chambers, marked as number 2. We would think that the diesel runs in the empty chamber by that bolt being loose or the seal being worn out (by the lower sulfur diesel that is used here in USA)

Has anybody had any similar problems or any advice?

Thanks,
Regards,

Lee

What I would do is when you are in Canada check with a diesel shop and see what they say. You may want to have an oil analysis to see if the diesel is getting into the engine oil. The 3B engine was sold in Canada but it was NOT sold in the USA or Mexico so parts there will be much more difficult. It's not going to be easy to find parts till you are in Central America and then I'd be concerned about 99% of the "mechanics". If you have issues in Honduras I know someone there who can probably point you to someone trustworthy.

If you are in the Vancouver area there are several folks familiar with the 3B and also diesel injection shops who can help you as well.

Look on the "Clubs" section of this site for the "Coastal Cruisers" to ask for info on who to see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom