Beige fender pads for LX450? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've been pondering getting the cladding on my LX450 refinished and originally planned to pull everything, clean underneath, check for rust and refinish off the truck. After reading above I'm leaning more and more towards an on-truck job like @ELSIE80 suggests. Thanks for sharing the challenges.

I'll let everyone know how the mask-and-paint-on-vehicle process goes for anyone pondering a cleanup of their mouldings. I think it will turn out really well. The only real issues are finding fender pads to replace the originals (as I believe they should be pulled and replaced to properly mask between the fender and body on the vehicle. You don't want to paint or clear over these - mine were falling apart anyway), and possibly replacing any mouldings that have broken or are loose. I had one rear flare that had to be replaced because the mounts had all broken and we couldnt get it reattached snugly. The shop was able to find 1 of 6 OE flares left in the country (according to them), and it was not cheap; but like @mtkreitz, I really want to maintain much of the factory aesthetic so I'm trying my best to find the parts.

@ELSIE80 really looking forward to seeing photos.

I'm leaning towards black or something dark for the moldings - that way black pads will look ok. I figure why fight the current and just pick a color that matches available pads.

@ELSIE80 really looking forward to seeing photos.

I'm leaning towards black or something dark for the moldings - that way black pads will look ok. I figure why fight the current and just pick a color that matches available pads.

I thought about this too. Lexus made a black pearl paint back in 97 that looks really good, and I considered it briefly, but ultimately I decided an in your face two-tone paint scheme (silver on black in my case) reminded me too much of the Lexus RX SUV's on the road from this era. Hideous and dated. My LX came in champagne silver with a slightly more gold lower cladding. I opted to paint the lower cladding to match the body. To each their own, but you certainly wouldn't have a problem matching black to black.

Did my level best to measure the depth of the shoulder that the 3M double-sided VHB tape sits in to make sure what I ordered will work.

The depth of the shoulder looks like .04-.045. The 3M VHB tape I purchased is 45 mil. So I should have around .005-.01 of material sticking out past the edge of the cladding.

When I put a test piece of tape on the cladding it “looks” like it sticks out a bit further. However, I’m calling it good as I imagine the tape will compress a bit once the clips seat into the body panels and compress the tape a bit.

FB5A4A0C-B781-45B3-8D48-697B525FA95B.jpeg
B4932608-C263-46ED-B37D-04F4C0F93A00.jpeg
D3FC64EA-01F0-4B07-BA57-440A78C8B6C5.jpeg

Last edited:
Some pictures of the finished paint before cladding goes back on... Drivers cladding just loosely attached for mock-up...

78F5BC80-17EA-4D3E-9B70-ACF9BDF16A85.jpeg
AE4BFB87-4676-4B04-BBAD-96EAF4407D1B.jpeg
2C8B3635-3874-4E33-8936-3241A985EF50.jpeg
16E580BA-F5A6-4529-BD81-B72D6A960C7A.jpeg
E5C46FCB-E46D-47EB-8CAC-EAB5FDACE695.jpeg

The paint looks great! Your documentation of the cladding and pads is very useful.
Im working on the same cladding as in your pic above...rear corner with running light... do you know the p/n for the 6 pins that go in the clips?
These?

90467-11103

1591639325585.png

!HELP NEEDED! I am trying to determine if I need the small fender pads/spacers (3 & 4 in the image below) that goes on the vertical surface between the two-pieces of the rear wheel flare.

61788-60011 (Right)
61787-60011 (Left)

If someone can take a picture of their 80 series (or LX450) so I can see how this looks I would appreciate it. I am thinking I can just substitute the 3M VHB tape in this area but am concerned it may attract dirt.

toyota_landcruiser_hdj80_vx_joint_elargisseur_aile_arrierez.jpg

61787-60011jpg.image.696x550.jpg

h their own, but you certainly wouldn't have a problem matching black to black.
Is your paint work done? I would like to see how that matched cladding looks like in the 1B1 color.

Is your paint work done? I would like to see how that matched cladding looks like in the 1B1 color.
Paint work is done. Just reassembling at this point. Should have it fully buttoned up in the next week or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom