Behind front bumper driver's side - what is it? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I realize this is probably a dumb question but what is this?
LC Drivers Side.jpg

I remounted mine higher and horizontally but you want to massage the old aluminum lines slow and careful to avoid breakage. I also did mine while discharged obviously.

Thank you. Can that bracket be swapped out easily or is that a big pain?
If the dryer is in the way or hanging down too far, some folks will loosen the dryer from the mount and push the dryer up. The lines going to the dryer are soft aluminum and bend easily. however don't get carried away and kink the lines.

Since your not asking about relocating dryer or bendIng lines, yes the bracket should swap out easily. Loosen the clamping bolt around canister, then remove bolts from bracket to rad core support. Bracket should slide down and off dryer can. Then sand and paint or purchase new and install in reverse order.

I remounted mine higher and horizontally but you want to massage the old aluminum lines slow and careful to avoid breakage. I also did mine while discharged obviously.

^^^^
When folks do this I always wonder if they considered why the factory didn't do it that way. Of course, the reason it is mounted vertically to begin with is because of the construction of the unit and what the purpose of it is (besides holding desiccant).

The receiver/drier acts as a liquid refrigerant tank for your expansion valve. There is a tube that extends nearly to the bottom of the drier to pick up the liquid refrigerant....with any residual 'vapor' floating to the top. When you turn the unit on it's side (horizontally) it can not function properly (to full advantage).

reciever_drier.jpg

I realize that fully, however my ac still works fine. There's also a reason toyota didn't put 35's and a 3" lift on my truck but it works better for me. 🤷

I realize that fully, however my ac still works fine. There's also a reason toyota didn't put 35's and a 3" lift on my truck but it works better for me. 🤷

Yep, that's always the retort "its working fine"....which was not my point. But rather to point out (for others) that it is incorrect and incorrect for a reason. That way they can make up their own minds whether or not it is a wise move. Depending upon where you live/travel you might want your AC system to work as well as it possibly can. I expect that summertime temps in 'Maine' are significantly different than say in Texas or Arizona.

And most folks do NOT 'realize' the functions of the drier.

Not trying to bust your chops or disparage YOUR choice, just providing some 'info' for others....so they don't unwittingly take your post as the 'solution' to a clearance issue.

Last edited:
Fair enough. Honestly my first thought was telling them to sawzall it off. Which is my go to for 90% of my vehicles when ac is concerned.

I also misread op's intentions. Looks like he just wants a new bracket lol.

Should have bought a 93-94 😁

20190311_104816.jpg

Should have bought a 93-94 😁

View attachment 2445660

Yep.

That is actually a good location for it with respect to protection. I imagine they moved it in later years to a spot that is cooler and not subject to engine compartment heat. The potential for the refrigerant to 'flash gas' being less....with the cooler location of the drier. Not an issue in some locales/climates...but the 80 series (in various forms) was sold/used in well over 100 countries....so the engineers must account for that.

Hate straying so far off topic, but modifying the location/position of the drier is something done by no small amount of folks.

I appreciate all of the replies - I always learn a ton. I had never even heard of an AC Drier before. And yes, my original question about the bracket was just because that rusty bracket was bugging me and I want to replace it and wanted to make sure I wasn't going to bite off more than I can chew. I do enjoy learning about how and why some people relocate it though. The more you know, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom