Begging the Collective Mud Brain: after 1.5 years and 3 mechanics, post-lift handling still sucks!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey fj......

Hard to believe, but it's still in the mechanic's garage!

It should be home by this weekend, but I'm not in a rush because my back shed is snowed in and there's nowhere to put it.

What took longest was waiting for a bearing for the steering box rebuild that everybody said couldn't be had, but my mechanic found one in Germany and the boat ride was a long one.

Then he put in adjustable F & R panhards and adjustable rear UCAs.

And after many months he finally said the magic words: "You're going to like it."

I'll update with the final word when I finally drive it again.

Overrit, any final word, curious to hear about it. Thanks

Hey fj......

Hard to believe, but it's still in the mechanic's garage!

It should be home by this weekend, but I'm not in a rush because my back shed is snowed in and there's nowhere to put it.

What took longest was waiting for a bearing for the steering box rebuild that everybody said couldn't be had, but my mechanic found one in Germany and the boat ride was a long one.

Then he put in adjustable F & R panhards and adjustable rear UCAs.

And after many months he finally said the magic words: "You're going to like it."

I'll update with the final word when I finally drive it again.

Sounds like you found the issue (pan hard bushings likely shot + others) but if you hadn't that would have been my guess. What you describe sounds like you have rear steer going on which will certainly make the truck feel like it is losing control. It's not the same feeling as a vehicle that wanders but does so only from the front wheels.

When you loaded the rear, you actually increased the caster which increases straight line stability so I think you ruled out any return-to-center issues there.

Hope your rig is settled after the repair.

Frank

It's in the shop getting buttoned up...but Frank, you might have something there when you mentioned "rear steer." I'm not sure I know what that is, but the alignment figures (before all the new, adjustable control arms were added) showed LR camber pointing out and RR camber pointing in. Is that rear steer? If not, I don't think it was helping any.

I took it for a spin last weekend and it handled waaay better, displaying none of those sudden and unpredictable attempts to change lanes at speed and kill me.

Christo suggested going back to OE FLCA bushings, so when that's done, I'm back.

Will post up handling impressions, and of course pics, of the next trip hopefully in two weeks. Thinking about Mt. Patterson--the rock formations are supposed to be very cool.

I took out the offset caster bushes in mine and replaced them with factory rubber and used these to set the caster
2017-03-14 10.08.57.jpg

then put in Koni 90 Raid shocks, which are brilliant at controlling heavy loads
2016-07-16 10.44.55.jpg

2016-01-06 18.10.08.jpg

there is also 71 USG of fuel in the cruiser, + metal draws full of crap,+ 40 litre fridge full of drinks

I took out the offset caster bushes in mine and replaced them with factory rubber and used these to set the caster
View attachment 1425690
then put in Koni 90 Raid shocks, which are brilliant at controlling heavy loads
View attachment 1425691
View attachment 1425695
there is also 71 USG of fuel in the cruiser, + metal draws full of crap,+ 40 litre fridge full of drinks
those are some really nifty caster plates, I'm sure some of our less than linked members would love to know more about them.

Your rear axle toe measurements are more likely to cause what we call crabbing where the vehicle appears to be at an angle when driving straight down the road. A slight crab won't cause any issues. Lots of vehicles do it. You were in factions of a degree.

If you had both rear wheels toeing outwards, that will definitely cause instability be it on the front or rear axle. Since we have solid axle trucks, you'd have to bend the rear axle backwards to get this and there isn't really any way to apply a force in the fore/aft direction to cause this. Up/down sure, but that would just camber in the rear wheels which is actually good for cornering (note how IRS vehicle have the wheels cambered inwards) since it encourages the vehicle to plow rather than swing the rear end ahead of the front in a slide. Badly worn wheel bearings could also cause this but you checked all of that and you'd be hearing them clunk and/or growl if that were the case.

If you have bad panhard bushings and our control arm bushings are in various states of wear, your axle can find itself an axis about which to arc which will give you the effect of rear steering which feels like you are losing the rear end and is thus not a good feeling at all especially at speed.

My truck is doing a little bit of what you describe. I change lanes and some times and instead of a nice even glide to the next lane, it feels like the the front steers over and then the rear end swings itself into the lane thereafter. It's not bad but I will need to replace my bushings one of these days as well.

Frank

I just mentioned it in another thread, but replacing you tie rod ends will tighten up that steering. mine handles much better after replacing just two out of the four, I am finishing the job today, I am anxious to see/feel the improvement.

IT'S FINALLY FIXED!

Stumbled on a thread about the Delta rear panhard lift bracket...

Delta Vehicle Systems Panhard Lift Bracket, 3" & 5"

...installed it last week, and I really couldn't believe the results.

My 80 handles great now...70 mph on broken and rutted freeway, caught between two tight rows of traffic, and...easy peasy, one finger on the wheel and it goes where you point it and nowhere else. No drama.

An absolute pleasure to drive at 70 mph.

Many thanks to everyone who chimed in on this thread.

Happy Trails to all.

Glad to see this updated

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom