Before I go ripping apart my friends mini... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

yzftaco

Goofy-Goober
Threads
Aisin Hub Question

My Buddy is selling his 82 or 83 Mini and told me that I can swap my Warn Hubs for his Aisin Hubs before he sells it...

My Question before I go doing this is..

Will the two different hubs interchange between the two vehicles?

Mine is a 76 (40)

I looked at this article but it only tells you how to rebuild one..

http://orc.off-road.com/offroad/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=399668

Last edited:
I'm 85% sure they do..... but I could be wrong ;)

Ahh, I'll just do it and if they don't fit..... I've only lost my time spent...

Why do I always post these kind of questions when there's a wheeling event???

Edit: ahh crap pbg said no....

Last edited:
Hub body
79-85 truck will work , but it is not the same lenghth as the LC . the axle shaft might hit on the cover, but I dought it will. The IFS truck is smaller won't slip into the axle shaft. The guts are iterchangable from hub body to the other.
The cover should be the same on both. I have Asco on drum hubs , longer than the mini truck. These would be non US models I believe.

Last edited:
The outer snap ring will not be seated against the inner driven gear of the lock out if you use late model, 01/79-01/90 40/60/62/Mini truck short bodied, lock out assemblies with the longer, 08/75-12/78 outer fing birfield. The longer outer stub may also interfere with the locking mechanism in the cap of the lockout, preventing it from functioning properly.

See the differences in the OEM lock out body assemblies in

Lockout 101... <---- this is a link

:beer:

Last edited:
Ohh well there goes my free Aisin's....

I was going to get the Longfields super set next winter and do the mini knuckle swap... BUT that's next winter....

Question: once I do this swap THEN I'd be able to use those Aisin's correct?? for future reference

Thanks everyone!!!!!

More time for beer now, I guess :)

Last edited:
I was going to get the Longfields super set next winter and do the mini knuckle swap... BUT that's next winter....

Question: once I do this swap THEN I'd be able to use those Aisin's correct?? for future reference

Thanks everyone!!!!!

More time for beer now, I guess :)

Y E S :)

Steve,
I am currently running 77 knuckles/birfs/lockouts ect. with warn lockout hubs, but want to switch to mini's so I'll have the more common birf (you always write fing birf, is the fing what it looks like as in so much f-ing fun to change when they break?) do i understand correcttly that they will not work with the mini birfs, or they just need that washer set up from the other post?

You will just need to use that washer with a bolt, to continue to use the Warns, or you can change to OEM and then just use the snap ring...

fing birfs.....because they fing suck. :)

It is not just a matter of the outer stub hitting the cap, but the spline section of the outer stub is not spline enough inboard to allow the lock out to seat on the wheel bearing hub; the lock out will bottom out on the splines....that is why the 08/75-12/78 OEM lockouts have a taller body. The other issue is that the outer snap ring will not be seated against the inner driven gear of the lock out.

Lockout 101... <---- this is a link

With all due respect to you Steve, I agree with you on the snap ring and the covers, but I disagree with splines in the end of the outer shaft. I can't see a reason for the hub body not being seated properly on the wheel hub.
You can see the following pics.
both spindles are from a 78 LC fj40.
and the outers are ,84 Toy mini, and a 78 LC fj40.
If I am wrong I apologize in advance.
Thanks ,,
Vic
outer1.jpg
outer2.jpg
outer3.jpg

Someone challenges poser's knowledge :eek: *dons flame suit* this should be interesting
That was the last thing on my mind.
I wouldn't even think of challanging the man.
These lockouts are the only ones available to me and I use them on the rear axle as well , at least for now, and I really have had good luck with them on all the Toys that I had.

I was hoping that I could correct the problem by using a proper washer or spacer between the ass end of the spindle and the brass bushing to be able to use the shorter lockouts.
Steve would know what I mean.
My knowlage about LCs and Toyotas is nothing compared to Steve's or anyone else's on this forum for that matter.
Just look at the # of posts that I have with any usefull info.
That is how I learn stuff.
Vic

I agree with you on the snap ring and the covers, but I disagree with splines in the end of the outer shaft. I can't see a reason for the hub body not being seated properly on the wheel hub.

Vic-

You are correct. I was confusing Dana 60 Chev and Ford outers and this Toyota stuff, as I was working with a guy at the shop earlier that day, and explaining to/showing him how the Chev outers will be too long for the Ford spindle and hub, and would not allow the lock out to seat into the hub, because of bottoming out on the splined section of the outer. The difference between these two is far more substantial, 12.00” for the Chev outer, compared to 11.375” for the Ford. Sorry about the confusion. :doh:

I have edited my previous post to reflect this....

Just look at the # of posts that I have with any usefull info. That is how I learn stuff.

Post count means nothing. There are A LOT of very smart people out here that contribute/dispense invaluable information, and I am glad that this forum is out here so that I can learn things from it daily.

To summarize:

You can use a long outer, 08/75-12/78 era, with either a Warn/Aftermarket lock out assembly, or a long body OEM unit of the same era, and use the snap ring to retain the axle against the driven gear in the lock out.

You can use the shorter outer, 01/79-01/90 with the short body OEM lockout from a 40/60/62 or solid axle mini truck, and use the snap ring to retain the axle against the driven gear in the lock out, or use aftermarket lockouts, with the use of a bolt and washer, as described in the Lockout 101 link.

Thank you Steve
I don't even know how you can keep all your head with all that stuff about toyotas ,fords and everything else.
That is really amazing.

I think a lot of people go straight to the forum and skip the FAQ, so anyone should point out any info that is overlooked in any post.
To keep it all good. I do appreciate being corrected by others.

Before I joined this forum , I must have spent more than 2 years reading faqs about everything landcruiser and still learning the basics.
This forum is one of my tools and by far you all been my main source of info along with CCOT info exchange.
I do appreciate people like yourself who would take the time and offer a free advise to anyone in need without partiality or preferentiality . I consider that to be an act of true giving.
Sharing your useful knowledge with others is no less of an act than sharing with them your wealth.
And believe me, nothing will be forgotten ,and you will always be rewarded for the good that you do.

I also urge people to support this site.
Man;;;; You spent so many thousands on your cruiser, don't be cheap with few dollars and support your most useful info exchange and brain aiding tool. Not to mention all the cool pics you get to see.
This site is were I spend most of my free time. :cheers: :cheers:

i'd say

take the time to swap the birfs and hubs now, give whoever buys the pickup the longer birfs with warn hubs and you keep the pickup birfs and hubs. than there's no chance of issues at all. :D

it doesn't take that long.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom