Before & after (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

musthave

Doc says I'm 1 in 120K. Lucky?
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Never use a snatch strap to pull out roots.

Used a snatch strap to assist in pulling out roots because my chain was in storage. So, the large root gave way and hit the Cruiser at an unbelievable speed. Here’s what it looked like.

84046C70-0CD7-4419-88B3-59BB4B10FE69.jpeg

The cruiser saved my life again. That was a dumb thing to do. So, it wouldn’t open. I can fix that.

E8A576A5-C5AA-496C-B90A-A542881CC6FD.jpeg

Cut out a hole so I could access the release mechanism that had come undone during the hit.

EABA2649-FE20-4A88-8AF4-32E0A8E94622.jpeg

Luckily I’m good at body work, good as new. Better probably 😊

And, perfect color match because I now have my own special paint code. Close to 1A5, subtle differences.

Lesson learned. Carry a chain. Don’t put stuff in storage unit. Logs eventually break off. Welding takes time. Perfection takes time. When you have drawers in the back, you can’t access the innards of the tailgate 😉

😂 now that you’ve read this far, I got a used tailgate and finished it nicely. The old tailgate is out for recycling. There was no fixing that!

Never use a snatch strap to pull out roots.

Used a snatch strap to assist in pulling out roots because my chain was in storage. So, the large root gave way and hit the Cruiser at an unbelievable speed. Here’s what it looked like.

View attachment 3019439

The cruiser saved my life again. That was a dumb thing to do. So, it wouldn’t open. I can fix that.

View attachment 3019440

Cut out a hole so I could access the release mechanism that had come undone during the hit.

View attachment 3019441

Luckily I’m good at body work, good as new. Better probably 😊

And, perfect color match because I now have my own special paint code. Close to 1A5, subtle differences.

Lesson learned. Carry a chain. Don’t put stuff in storage unit. Logs eventually break off. Welding takes time. Perfection takes time. When you have drawers in the back, you can’t access the innards of the tailgate 😉
Wow. You did a great job fixing it.

😂 now that you’ve read this far, I got a used tailgate and finished it nicely. The old tailgate is out for recycling. There was no fixing that!
SMH. . you got me.

It's amazing what 12 pounds of bondo will do :flipoff2:

In some parts of the world the hole you cut would be called better ventilation (or an extra drain hole). They would spend a week pounding that out, then 12 pounds of bondo, good as new, almost.

The tailgate paint job looks great. How about starting a thread on "how to paint your 80 series the right way"

God knows I've done my share of dumb stuff. You recovered well, nice paint for a home job!

Nice work!

I added a new dent in the exact same spot last year, but it’s one that can be pulled out when I get around to it. Had just installed my new outboard on 18ft skiff - truck doesn’t fit through a garage door, so I went to hand-roll the boat out of the garage. Gained a little too much momentum when the tires dropped the 1/2” off the concrete slab, and I wasn’t able to stop the rolling weight in the split second I had. Trailer tongue pinned my hand into the tailgate. That one really hurt, no doubt, but luckily nothing was broken. Dumb 🤦‍♂️

Chain mighta been a worse choice.

The snatch strap was a terrible choice. The elasticity in them is incredible. So I went forward too fast, stopped when it was too tight, and kaboom!

No blanket on the rope would have slowed it down. There’s no stretch in a chain, with a canvas bag over it I feel like I would have done better.

Winch cable would have been better.

Terrible choice. At least I have a great tailgate now.

God knows I've done my share of dumb stuff. You recovered well, nice paint for a home job!
:rolleyes: The body work on the used tailgate that was in great shape took me 30+ hours at the shop. Prime, sand, prime, sand, paint, sand, paint, sand, paint, sand, clear, sand, clear, wet sand to 4400, then buff, polish. It’s a labor of love. It’s done right though. Who spends that much time or money for perfect results? The 5K tailgate:bang:

The snatch strap was a terrible choice

When you say snatch strap are you referring to a kinetic type strap that stretches. Like the rope Matt's offroad recovery uses?

I keep thinking I should get one of these kinetic ropes.

I think he meant a typical tow rope; although their elasticity may vary with width and thickness, as well as the particular composition of material

in our case, the yanked tree trunk -luckily- went into the garage door, because the Blazer was parked at an angle - damage to the garage door was much less than it would have been to the Blazer - and just as well: damage to the garage door was less than it would have been to any other part of the house :rolleyes:

as you said, the speed of snap was incredible :eek: - 3 seconds and it was over

When you say snatch strap are you referring to a kinetic type strap that stretches. Like the rope Matt's offroad recovery uses?

I keep thinking I should get one of these kinetic ropes.
Unfortunately, with my head Bowed in shame, I must admit that it was a kinetic rope. Those things have one heck of a snap back. Dumb 🤷‍♂️

I have used the same rope to pull vehicles out of nearly anything. Buried in mud, this will pull them out with ease.

:rolleyes: The body work on the used tailgate that was in great shape took me 30+ hours at the shop. Prime, sand, prime, sand, paint, sand, paint, sand, paint, sand, clear, sand, clear, wet sand to 4400, then buff, polish. It’s a labor of love. It’s done right though. Who spends that much time or money for perfect results? The 5K tailgate:bang:
I think most of us have had those moments of loving labor after a "why the heck did I just do that?!" moment. If not our Cruisers, then something else. Better update your insurance policy to cover the 5K tailgate.:rofl:

Hey- that could be your new bumper sticker... 5K TAILGATE
Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom