bed liner outside the hardtop (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i've got a friend with the hook up and i can get the hard top (starting to work on it thursday) coated. it's not rhino, but it's supposed to be pretty good.
i'm thinking a flat black to match my old soft top.
have any of you done this?
can anyone think of the cons?

i'm thinking i won't do the actual roof because i may need to take it off in some imergency situation to do work on the top (ie tipping sideways into a tree).

lets here some thoughts.

gotta keep the fiberglass dome part white-ish. classic look doesn't ever get old.

maybe see if he can coat it with a white color liner. i know that most of those bedliners come in 15-20 colors if you just ask.

oh, it'll also increase the weight of the already almost unbearable top though. +15 pounds give or take.

he can match my color exactly.
i think i'm going to go black though.
i want to keep the roof white, but my wife
thinks it will look stupid.

maybe i'll photoshop some concepts.

I have a Forest Green 40 and the whole hardtop is white. Looks real nice but like 72 says they're incredibly heavy. I only use mine if it's freakin cold and have to haul the whole family. Otherwise I prefer my 45 top or bikini and half doors.

yeah, i remember what part ofthe state you live in too :)

Thats right, I was out today, cruisin in the woods with 78 One owner, in a T-shirt, thinkin "Man, it's warm out here, I sure do like this weather. Hey buddy, pass me a nice cold...." Well, you get the idea. Hehehe.

have you thought abut the fact that black will be Dayum hot!

this is a freinds fj40, the whole thing has been coated in Armacoat(or something like that) similar to Rhino lining.
35255902.jpg
[/img]
35255890.jpg

personaly I'm not wild about the black roof, but with a white body the black is a good contrast.

35255902.jpg

wow that is a sexy machine.

have you thought abut the fact that black will be Dayum hot!
yeah i know it will be hot, but i think it will look best with the forest green body.
while i'm in there, i think i'll have some other stuff lined black too.

just a heads up :D

the black top looks pretty good on the white Fj40, i was just thinking about the temp difference of a truck i rode in with black bedliner sprayed inside :whoops:

i've already had black liner sprayed inside (but done terribly and i want it redone) so i'm not to concerned about that. besides, the only time the top will be on is about october-april. it's pretty cool/cold/freezing/cold/cool in those months round here.

the reason i'm likeing the bed liner idea is so on the tight trails i'm not scratching the crap out of a nice new paint job.

I'm a S.Utah guy too! And, I've still spent decades in the blowin snow and cold ie: I plowed snow with my FJ from 78-81 in Park City, I spend every day I can up on Cedar Mtn near Brian Head (minimum altitude 9,000 ft). With my red hardtop, or now that it is grey,(still has a white cap) the sun heats it up real good. Black would be miserably hot on sunny days IMO, even real cold days. Except on the highway. What's the matter, no heater?. There's a black capped forest green hardtop out in my lot that has gotten so hot that the fiberglass slumpped.

so what is the suggestion? do the whole thing black with the cap white and a forest green body?
or should i have them match the liner with the green body and keep the cap white?
i have no fashion sence when it comes to color so i can't make these kinds of decisions very well.

I'd say keep the cap white regardless of what you do on the sides. Personally I think either all white or match the sides to your paint. If your paint is roughed up or faded it will be hard to match though.

here is the current paint scheme. its only a 4 year old paint job.
i don't know if black top with white cap would look good on this color.
what do you guys think?
lbh1.jpg

[quote author=hammerhead link=board=1;threadid=6037;start=msg48140#msg48140 date=1065508001]
I have a Forest Green 40 and the whole hardtop is white. Looks real nice ...
[/quote]

the superliner guy (actually my friend who is the connection) says that the white liner fades to yellow.
i guess i could just paint it. i think the white top with the green would look like a lime icecreamsicle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom