Because the WIFE said I COULDN'T 1973 Frame off (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I know i will get crucified for saying this but I run one of the plastic tanks that i bought off EBay for 160.00 and it workes great- i plugged all the "smog" nipples and had to get a hose from the local auto parts store to get my filler neck to work (mine is an old 67)- I tool around town in my 40 all the time and have not noticed any issues...

Hope my old tank works for you. I might have another set of tail lights for my '71. I can check when I get back to GA tomorrow. You cover the ride and they are yours...

"basically a we are sorry we ruin your life so here is a cheap garage with everything you need shop." I love it and thats same thing I thought!

Rear Mounts

Also any pictures of the mount on the drivers side where the bellhousing mounts to the frame. I believe the clutch slave cylinder sits here and I may have put it in and on the truck upside down. I have all of the random brackets I took off that help mount the clutch on the floor and don't know how to put the new clutch slave back on. I should have done this before putting it in the car. Ohh well.

These may not work for you becasue of the year difference. Mine's a '76 and the throwout was is the passenger side. Someone that knows more can chime in. Anyway, here are some pics of my bellhousing mounts for both sides. Sorry not the greatest pics.
100_0251.jpg
100_0261.jpg
100_0260.jpg

I know i will get crucified for saying this but I run one of the plastic tanks that i bought off EBay for 160.00 and it workes great- i plugged all the "smog" nipples and had to get a hose from the local auto parts store to get my filler neck to work (mine is an old 67)- I tool around town in my 40 all the time and have not noticed any issues...

I may just have to go this route. I really don't want to but the tank is not in my budget. I'm already considerably over.

Hope my old tank works for you. I might have another set of tail lights for my '71. I can check when I get back to GA tomorrow. You cover the ride and they are yours...

I might take you up on those lights. I think I can salvage one but a bulb completly corroded in the other and I can't get it out even with pliers. I'm going to need some new orange side lights as well. They are all fine and cleaned up well but the rubber on two of them for the front completely fell apart in pieces.

As far as your tank it doesn't fit. It is much cleaner from what I can tell so far (MUCH MUCH CLEANER). But I tried to put it in and it wouldn't fit. I brought it home and it is basically the same all around except in the rear portion it is just over an inch wider than my tank. I would also have to put a return nipple on it for my return line as well as adjust the fuel filler (which shouldn't be to hard). Does anyone know if I can trim the newer model tank to make it fit in my truck?

These may not work for you becasue of the year difference. Mine's a '76 and the throwout was is the passenger side. Someone that knows more can chime in. Anyway, here are some pics of my bellhousing mounts for both sides. Sorry not the greatest pics.

Thank you for trying. I took a peak at it today but ran out of time before the shop closed. I think I have it figured out and it looks different than yours as it is on the other side.

Today was pretty slow moving. I'm waiting on a few parts before I move forward as it will be easier than going back in with the fenders on. First of those being a battery bracket and tray I just found which I'm stoked about. The other being my steering box seal as that would be impossible to change with the fenders on. Finally getting the clutch put in and together and bled. I should have all of the those parts by this time next week though if things go smoothly. Then I can really get to work and if I cand get the fuel tank figured out I should be able to get it running next week.

Just more money and time...of which I've seem to run out of both. It is my last day in the shop tomorrow. After that it is just a couple hours in the evenings during the week and the hole day on weekends.

I used some SS Carriage bolts. They look good but why did toyota make them so hard to put in with the rear cross supports. I bet at one point in time the nuts were welded back there but the PO probably had to snap them off.
IMG_2082.jpg
Notice the 3/4 heater hose. I bought 10' haha. Apperantly the hose is smaller. I will be searching tonight or just take the tubes in with me to the parts store. I'm guessing 5/8" will work better.
IMG_2083.jpg
It will be called a Jeep for the last time today :rolleyes:

IMG_2084.jpg
IMG_2082.jpg
IMG_2083.jpg
IMG_2084.jpg

Last edited:
Just a few more.

I cleaned them up pretty good with steel wool but missed a few spots inbetween the letters. Hard to get to. Also got the upper portion bolted on as my bolt kits made it yesterday. I need to order the felt for the windows as I forgot all about that until I put them in today.
IMG_2086.jpg
My resistor made it here in 48 hours. Shipping was twice the cost of the part. But it is in and I got it all wired and soldered up real nice. I will finish tapeing it and mounting it later. Both of my mounts were rusted away so I can't simply move one of them like others have done.
IMG_2087.jpg
Got some more of the hardware in. Read the description wrong and only got 2 pads. Will need to get two more for the hood. My tap came in handy as some paint had filled the threads.
IMG_2088.jpg
IMG_2086.jpg
IMG_2087.jpg
IMG_2088.jpg

Last edited:
Last ones.

I got lucky today and found the right part for the lower radiator hose. As noted earlier by Matt it had a piece of exhaust in there before. Luckly the engine I got from John had the right part in a box. Thanks again as I've used many parts and pieces from your engine/tranny combo now.

IMG_2089.jpg

I ordered this from Cruiser Corps. It is eaither not for my year and they sent the wrong part or it is one of those other odd 1973 transition year things. So I just used self tapping screws and it looks like it should..just different than what came with mine. I still can't figure out how those hard lines for the rear heater go back in. Does anyone have any pictures...I apperently did not take a picture of. You figure the way they are bent and with the brackets it would be easy...guess not.
IMG_2090.jpg
IMG_2089.jpg
IMG_2090.jpg

Last edited:
Got mad for the first time today EVER while working on this rig. I went to install the clutch slave and the slave looks right and everything is proportionate except the threads for the clutch hose. Not sure what I'm going to do here yet other than be pissed off for the moment. I ordered it from Rock Auto and their return policy is more ass pain than it is worth.

Then for the LIFE of me I could not get the draglink off of the steering box. I wanted to change out the leaking seal on it but I can not get it off to save my life. I had a gear puller that fit over it just right and I had the impact wrench all the way up and it didn't even think about budging. Got out the propane torch and heated it up for 5 minutes and still nothing. Pickles forks were not quite big enough but the didn't help either.

Other than that it just seems like I wasted most of the day. Got some more small wing done and a couple of brakelines. Got one of my rear seats in. I was a couple feet short after changing my routing for heater lines but that is almost done. Just need some more clamps as well.

I got the air filter in...why would they design it to where you have to take out the headbolts. I didn't want to but I did as it was the only way to get it on.

Just feels like I didn't get a lot done. Even while putting this back together I'm still drilling out rusted/snapped bolts I missed the first time around.

Forgot to put the SD card back in the Camera.

Wow, you've done an amazing job in such a short time! Good luck in the comming days! I look forward to following this as you compleate it!

Once again, WOW!

Carl

Great Job Jason!
This has been a great thread to read and will be a good resource for me in the future. I plan on doing something very similar to my '73 when I get home, though probably not as clean as yours. I know this may offend some toyota or 40 'purists' on here but I will be Mod/Fabbing whatever I need as I go and not really worrying about keeping it stock. But my 40 is a rust bucket that some PO already did a 350 swap on so I won't feel bad..this thing would need a whole new tub to be restored. Good project to get my feet wet in the FJ/wheelin' world though! Thanks for all the great pics and step by steps... I a sure I will be referring back here often lol.
Truck is lookin Excellent btw, and maybe we can find some trails to hit once you get up here!

I would like to think when you have the puller pulled tight rap/smack the sucker with a BFH. That usually shocks things into moving along.

Is it the draglink or the pitman arm? I was unable to get the pitman arm off my first FJ40 to replace the leaking gearbox seal. I tried just about everything including soaking it for weeks with PB Blaster, heat, gear pullers, and BFH; all in combination. I actually broke two gear pullers in the process. After the second one broke, I gave up and let it leak...

As far as a return line to the gas tank. When I put a 2F in my first '71 FJ-40, I plumbed in a T to the filler neck vent line which worked well. Not sure if you have that in a '73.

X2 sounds like a Snap-on Pitman Arm puller may be needed. I've yet to get mine off... It still leaks :(

One day I'll rebuild mine... Or more likely be finished rebuilding mine piece by piece and then take it appart to to paint it.

Also... I was sure I was gonna POR-15 everything, and now you got me thinking. Damn you.

I am really pleased with the Chassis Saver and it was a lot cheaper and easier to find. Good reviews as well.

I would like to think when you have the puller pulled tight rap/smack the sucker with a BFH. That usually shocks things into moving along.

I had to work late tonight and they only had a few minutes until close by the time I stopped by. Just made a list of priority work and more parts that I need. I thought about paying their mechanic there to see if he could get it off. I sprayed it again tonight with some penetrant but am not feeling lucky. It has completely dripped out of oil now. I want to fix it while the fenders are off. Can I get to it once they are back on?

Is it the draglink or the pitman arm? I was unable to get the pitman arm off my first FJ40 to replace the leaking gearbox seal. I tried just about everything including soaking it for weeks with PB Blaster, heat, gear pullers, and BFH; all in combination. I actually broke two gear pullers in the process. After the second one broke, I gave up and let it leak...

So yeah pitman arm and above comments. What the heck eh? It shouldn't be that hard.

As far as a return line to the gas tank. When I put a 2F in my first '71 FJ-40, I plumbed in a T to the filler neck vent line which worked well. Not sure if you have that in a '73.

I could do something like that might just do it right on the tank itself. Real question is....what year is that tank you gave me out of? It isn't the same size and doesn't look the same as early model tanks.

X2 sounds like a Snap-on Pitman Arm puller may be needed. I've yet to get mine off... It still leaks :(

One day I'll rebuild mine... Or more likely be finished rebuilding mine piece by piece and then take it appart to to paint it.

Looking at the measurements as I'm away from the car right now will this work? Nothing but spectacular reviews. Seems we are not the only one with this problem. Amazon.com: OTC 8150 Conical Pitman Arm Puller - Light Trucks: Automotive@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31VyX9Ia8IL.@@AMEPARAM@@31VyX9Ia8IL
Just want to make sure it will fit around it.

Wow, you've done an amazing job in such a short time! Good luck in the comming days! I look forward to following this as you compleate it!

Once again, WOW!
l

Thank you. I am in parts waiting mode right now. 3 out of the 4 companies individuals I ordered from gave me incorrect shipping tracking numbers. Even though I ragged on Cruiser Corps for making not the nicest seat covers ever they are by FAR the fastest shipper and easiest to work with on the phone. Followed by CCOT but never tried to call them. They both sell some equally cheezy aftermarket parts though. JT Outfitters has the best prices but are IMPOSSIBLE to get ahold of and they created a shipping lable for me on the 30th and according to their shipper it hasn't even been picked up yet. No problems with my other order from them so I can't be to harsh.

Ohh and for those that want to know I'm still working on a few unfindable parts. I'm going to try and order them online from Japan and see what happens. Also there are some other very hard to find and VERY EXPENSIVE door parts that you may want to consider before tearing your doors apart for refurbish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom