because my wife doesn't appreciate it much (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My troopie is a factory soft top but I found a guy in CA that had an AU made canopy that is 1 piece fiberglass so I got it. Only problem is that it was all white. I found some paint that matched fairly well to the body and bombed it this weekend. The windows are typical RV style aluminum frame so I hit them with some black to make them look more like the real hard top rubber (should have used flat black). Wanted to share the pics because my wife doesn't seem to appreciate my work that much (or the troopie).

First pic, only one I could find of the top all white:
45ico2.JPG

3 after some quality time with krylon:
IMG_2885.jpg

IMG_2886.jpg

IMG_2887.jpg

I like it :) I would like to see pics with the soft top if possible? Still, very cool.

As far as your wife......she obviously doesn't appreciate you...or your troopie :D

Matt

Unfortunately the bows and soft top are 2500 miles away. I'm doing a temp assignment for my company in VA so I didn't bring them. The soft top is new and never installed, the bows however have 23 years of use in the service of the Chilean army on them. I was planning on using the bows to repro a new set out of some heavier wall tube. I might have some pics on my desktop with the original top on it (no windows, olive drab canvas that matched the body).

I think it looks great, Ken. So does my wife, who appreciates Troopys!

She will be happy that she has it when it is raining cats and dogs out there and she has a truck full of soccer kids.

You do let her drive it don't you?

That thing is sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There are more wifes than Troopies ! :smirk:

Do you have a hatch with a tailgate in the back? For a home made hard top it looks good. I wouldn't complain about the Wife. I looked at bunch of cruisers on Ebay and most saying selling because of women problems or new wife say old cruiser has to go. Saw this tread and thought is this another one that a wife say has to go. My Wife doesn't care for any of my cruisers but at least I'm not getting hounded to get rid of them.

What's the widest tire you can fit on those split rims?

I think she likes it OK, she just didn't get as excited about my paint job as I had hoped. That and she's still a little peaved that I spent money I told her would go toward a cabin to buy the troopie. Hey she got a camp trailer, same as a cabin right? :D

The back has the factory ambulance soft top doors, the top part of the door is canvas and comes out. The canopy has a lift style canopy hatch. Works similar to early 70s barn doors and hatch.

Dan, I think I'm going to run 255/85/16s on it. Any taller than that and it won't fit in the garage. Not sure how wide I can go, I think the rims are 6" wide. I could probably run the same tires you are. The front ds spring sags pretty good. I'm going to swap some springs from a fresh spring pack and see if I can level it out (typical cruiser lean but in this case the shackle angle is different on that side so I think I can fix it with the spring).

Marc, good point, I don't think I've ever let her drive it. It's got all the jump seats, seating for 11, but not 1 seat belt (working on that).

looks dang good to me............I should have bought that damn thing :crybaby:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom