BEBs and oil (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Are the big end bearings on the 1HD-T just like the head on the 2LT-E...that is they are just waiting to fail? And is there anything that can be done to prolong their life such as different oils or more frequent oil changes?

Thanks

Are the big end bearings on the 1HD-T just like the head on the 2LT-E...that is they are just waiting to fail? And is there anything that can be done to prolong their life such as different oils or more frequent oil changes?

Thanks

Not a good comparison as the BEB problem gradually improved after the horror years of 90-93.
Oil changes wont hurt but having the BEB replaced every 100k/klms is probably the safest policy.
Easing up on long hills with a full load wont hurt either

The jury is still out on what causes the BEB to fail.
Wrong oil ,crank flex,harmonic vibration,block warpage and bad bearings . Take your pick.
To my knowledge,Toyota has never released anything official identifying or admitting the problem .

Its obvious something to do with amount of HP ,because the 1HZ with the same crank and bearings and 30 hp less ,is considered quite reliable in oz.
Many of my aquaintences get 300000+klms from the 1HZ BEB

The difference between the BEB and head problem is that the BEBs can be changed out for an after market set easily and inexpensively. You can/should even do so pro actively. If you have an oil pressure gauge, I'm told you can tell with some reliability when the bearings are going. The head problem tends to present itself less conveniently.

There is some discussion that not lugging the engine will help the bearings to last longer. The theory is that that engine will make enough torque at low rpms to allow the bearing to flatten the oil cushion. RPMS = oil pressure This is why the 1HDT has more trouble that the 1HZ

the BEBs can be changed out for an after market set easily and inexpensively.

That's the best part .. so why concer too much about 'em .. swap for a new ones and get peace of mind.

Am I correct in understanding that if the BEBs are changed for the better quality aftermarket ones that you can just forget about them, or should they still be changed just at a longer interval?

As for if the original ones are just waiting to fail, I would say yes based on what mine looked like when I changed them at 115,000km. It was an easy enough job that it would be foolish not to just do it, regardless of oil, milage, or any other factors.

what are the BEB like in a 3b?
when should they be replaced in a 3b?

any one know im just curious?

3Bs don't have the bearing problem. It's generally rings (low compression)that result in a rebuild being required between 400,000 and a million km. You do bearings because you're in there not because they really need to be replaced.

Thanks for the info, any leads on where to pick up a better than stock set of bearings for the swap?

I was looking in to replacing my BEB soon, and had seen some Taiho brand ones at a local importer. Is this a good brand, or is there a particular brand i should stick with?

3Bs don't have the bearing problem. It's generally rings (low compression)that result in a rebuild being required between 400,000 and a million km. You do bearings because you're in there not because they really need to be replaced.

I just feel like timing gears and no real issues makes the 3b such a rock solid, low maintance motor... Gutless, but i've never ever questioned it starting and getting me where I need to go, even on the coldest days of winter. Even when a friends brand new lincon wouldn't start, my 20 year old land cruiser didn't even turn a complete revolution before starting after a 10 sec glow...

do 12ht's have issues?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom