beating up my rig (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
so i guess my whole "keep it a classic stock cruiser" idea is out the window. i bought mine from the original owner, in almost perfect condition. still shines. (but with 250k miles) Seats were covered since he drove it off the lot.

question is...how the h*ll am i supposed to have fun off road like that? i've had it really off road twice since getting it all the mechanical bugs worked out (16mpg!). I dented one front lower fender each trip. keep hitting stumps and stuff as most of our trail in nw oregon are wooded. lost the bottom trim, bent the cheap bolt on bull bar, and tore a mudflap off.

-do you guys buy sliders or make your own? recomendations?
-i'm having a new bull bar made, but what do you think about that wrap around peice that follows the front fenders down to the slider? i think i could have saved both fenders with this combination of protection.

i'd post pics but it keeps saying my files are too big.

you should have seen how pretty it was!:)

i give up. now i want 33's, lift, and a locker. wheelin's fun!

ps. i spend too much time reading on this site:)

:flipoff2:

As for the photos, your software should allow you to open the pic and then have a button for editing the picture. Roll your cursor over the icons, and see if one says "edit picture". Microsoft Office Picture Manager has an option to resize for web attachments.

pics i hope

k, here's the pics. hopefully the right size. from shiny like new to dented and dirty.

Bigbrown, I know just how you feel--I'm doing the same thing w/ my 82. Almost pristine when i bought it 9 months ago, replaced the flat springs w./ Dakars, took it wheeling and dented the fenders and tore the snake blinder chrome off. Was going to be a camping rig, now I'm putting in 4.11 thirds, an aussie in the rear, going up to 33" tires (would go to 35"s if I could fit em), and I'm trying to figure out whether to build bumpers and sliders or buy em. It's a sickness--I spend all my free time working on my truck! :eek:

Nice clean cruiser.....keep it stock!

:D

I think it looks better dirty myself. That is how all these trucks should roll.

:beer:

you can certainly wheel it (constervatively) and have fun. all you need is decent body protection. you named it already. get yourself some good sliders. do a search on here and you will see all types. before you do more damage to your rear quarters you can get some protection back there too. there is a tan 60 on here (the guy with the fat trout as his avitar) who has nice protection there (IMHO) - i am sure you have seen it.

the other thing you should be prepped for is dragging that rear stock bumper along the ground and banginig it up pretty good.

protect it, then wheel it! you will have a blast.

I am of the opinion, that you can't truly "off road" any vehicle without doing some damage.

You can be as careful as you can, but eventually, you WIL put in some dents and scratches. It's the nature of the sport.

Armor it up as best you can and then ENJOY it. :)

Get in contact with 2badFJ's on this board, he made my sliders and they are very beefy!

anything else?

thanks for the opinions. slept on the idea last night, calmed down, and then ordered two front fenders to fix it back up. i'll get it armored asap.

anything i should be adding protection to underneath? i'm not doing much rock climbing stuff. just muddy, log covered trails.

If someone makes a x-fer skid plate, you might think about that- but I don't know of one off of the top of my head.

2badfjs....I second that!

I'll second what Doc said - 2badfjs made me a set of sliders and they are really sweet. I haven't 'shrunk' my pics of them yet, so I can't post them. but I'd be happy to send you a photo or two.

HTH

CardinalFJ60

You gotta pay to play. No amount of body armour will protect the big ass wagon on hard trails. Use common sense and be ready to hear the crunch. The crunch does not bother me nearly as much as the cloud of glass shooting across the inside of the truck.

This is from GSMTR this year. both windows on the pass side, A,B,C, pillar and both doors. The damage on the rear is fram a day before.
IMG_0369_1_1_1_1.JPG

David,
Are those nerf bars a custom fabrication? If not, I'd like to know where ya got them.
Thanks!

Please don't insult them by calling them 'nerf bars'. They are sliders. Nerf bars do not serve a purpose, these do.

Sporin said:
You can be as careful as you can, but eventually, you WIL put in some dents and scratches. It's the nature of the sport.

hhhuuuumm sport .. ? naaa I thought Hobby, except in a wild trail, when you need to walk with the winch cable .. :D

Anycase .. you need to prepare to some dents .. is normal, or doing a exo cage ..

89GASHOG said:
David,
Are those nerf bars a custom fabrication? If not, I'd like to know where ya got them.
Thanks!
I made them. 1/4 wall 2" box, run back to the frame. Ugly buy they work.

Slee sliders, Safarigard front bumper, cheapie Smittybilt rear with custom rear sliders/Q panel protection integrated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom