Beating Dead horse - 2f w/3spd to 2F w/4 spd (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Guys,

Sorry to beat a dead horse. I have been searching for a while now and didn't find the answer.

I currently have a 2F attached to a 3spd tranny/tc.

If I were to buy a 78 2F with 4-spd tranny and 4-spd tc attached, would the only thing I need be a shorter drive shaft? Anything else?

Thanks,
Jonny

Depending on the year you might have some issues with some of the structure underneath the floor putting the 4 speed into a body that originallyhad a three speed in it. I believe it can be done retively easily, but it's not quite a drop in replacement.

Depending on the year you might have some issues with some of the structure underneath the floor putting the 4 speed into a body that originallyhad a three speed in it. I believe it can be done retively easily, but it's not quite a drop in replacement.

Pics? They are very similar and the floor is flat right there.

You will likely have minor floorpan interference at the rear of the tunnel cover, and if the old 'cruiser is old enough, your clutch line fittings won't be the same thread pitch. Be sure to move the clutch fork to the correct side of the truck before you assemble the transmission, so that it mates up with the hydraulic lines. You will find some assorted minor issues, so take your time and dry-rig everything before you start bolting it up. When I put a 4 speed in a '65 FJ45, I replumbed the truck with the lines from the '77 donor truck. Get as many clutch parts as you can from your donor.

I'm doing the same swap right now. 1970 FJ40 with a 2F and putting a 78 4spd and t-case. I believe in order to install the trans you have to tilt the motor back some. I'm still in the process of removing the old trans parts though and wont be able to continue for two weeks (off to work in the islands).

Hi All:

Well, IIRC you will need to switch to the four-speed bell housing. Yes, your rear drive shaft needs to be shorter, and the front 'shaft longer.

You can use your existing three-speed clutch parts with the H42, and leave the slave cylinder on the driver's side frame rail.

I don't remember any clearance issues with the H42 when I swapped on a '68 body tub.

Good luck!

Alan

Guys,

Sorry to beat a dead horse. I have been searching for a while now and didn't find the answer.

I currently have a 2F attached to a 3spd tranny/tc.

If I were to buy a 78 2F with 4-spd tranny and 4-spd tc attached, would the only thing I need be a shorter drive shaft? Anything else?

Thanks,
Jonny

all my cruisers have 4 speeds and using all toyota parts was a bolt in operation,some required cutting the tranny hump for installation.dropping the motor down and installing the tranny t case avoids moving the crossmember.

Install will require tilting the whole bolted together motor, tranny. t-case assembly down at the back to clear the cross member. You can't slide teh t-case on without cutting out the cross member.

You will also have to cutout the shifter hole in the tranny hump and indent the brace under the passenger floor to clear the hi-low shifter on top of the t-case.

4 speed and 3 speed driveshafts have different bolt spacing on the flanges so you will have to either change out the flanges on your diffs if using the 4spd t-case, or modify the lengths of both 3 speed shafts if using the 3 spd t-case.

3 spd t-case will require the transition gear that can be ordered from Mark's Off Road.

Thank you gentlemen for your responses. I'm not 100% sure I am going through with this yet, as the cost is a limiting factor... The seller and I can't come to a reasonable price... Speaking of which, how much do you think a 2F/4spd/TC with supposedly 55k that has been sitting covered outside for several years is worth? Thanks,

Jonny

Hi All:

US$500. - $1,000.00

An old engine that has not run for awhile may have leaky seals. Stored outside? I'd be concerned about corrosion in everything, contaminated fluids, etc.

Good luck!

Alan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom