Beating a dead horse - Differential fluid and Transfer Case Fluid (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, so I did read the manual
Mine has Limited Slip rear differential 1998 LX470 US models

Front diff it ask for
1.8 quart / 1.4 Imperial quart
Hypoid gear oil 80w90 API GL5

Rear diff
3.5 qt / 2.9 imperial quart
Hypoid gear oil 80w90 API GL5 for Limited Slip

Transfer case
1.4 qt / 1.1 imp quart
multi purpose 75w90 GL4 or GL5

so hypothetically I need to get three different gear oil correct?
sometimes it is hard because one store only got the kind that is for Limited slip
I am tempted to just get one type oil and use it on all three (like mobil1 75W90LS)

it gets confusing because some sites says "Limited slip oil" are OK in Open diff

and is Hypoid gear oil works in transfer case (where it does not specify for hypoid but both are API GL5)

I am tempted to just get one type oil and use it on all three (like mobil1 75W90LS)
That is exactly what I did (edit: also with M1 75w-90LS). After you see what comes out of them, I suspect you'll feel pretty good about what you are putting back in there.

Last edited:
Or you could just buy two different gear oils (t case + diffs) and add the limited slip additive to the rear diff before filling her up.

I ordered Amsoil 75w-90 severe gear and transaxle gear lube for my 06, as per their website... the 06 manual doesn't disagree

Last edited:
Use Mobil 1 75w-90 in all three, LS additive already included is no problem for front diff and transfer case.
☝🏾That’s what I did. 75w-90 in all three.

it gets confusing because some sites says "Limited slip oil" are OK in Open diff
The limited slip additive is necessary in the limited slip differential because the friction plates/clutches/whatever need the additive to get the correct amount of friction when the two wheels are spinning at different speeds. Too much or two little additive, and you'll lock up prematurely or not lock up when you're stuck or burning out. I'm think you may harm and LSD by running it without the additive too, but I am not an expert. An open differential doesn't have that friction mechanism, but will not be harmed by having the additive in there. So, you can either buy gear oil with additive and use it in everything, or buy gear oil without additive and put the additive into your LSD.

s***, I think I used 80w-90 in my transfer case.....

s***, I think I used 80w-90 in my transfer case.....
You’re fine. 80W-90 passes the same high temp tests as 75W-90. It’ll just be a little bit thicker than 75W until it warms up so you may or may not hear a little gear whine at first, but it’s not going to hurt anything. I see you’re in Florida so low temps are not much of a problem for you. Main difference is more often than not 75W is synthetic and 80W is conventional so 80W can be found cheaper.

Just get 75/90 Mobil1 LS gear oil and put in all 3 as others have said. LS oil is a "universal" gear oil meaning you can use it in non-LSD/non-locked cases with zero issues. Been doing this for nearly 4 years on my 98 LX with zero issues. I change mine annually (every 30k) which is most assuredly overkill.

I change mine annually (every 30k) which is most assuredly overkill.
Probably just right, based on Toyota’s recommended inspection/service interval for “harsh” operating conditions.

I replaced my front diff, rear diff and transfer case fluids six weeks ago. I decided to check them and top off if necessary this morning. The front was full (seeped when I removed fill bolt), the rear needed just a little bit before fluid started coming out, but the transfer case took about 1/4 quart more fluid. Is this normal? Did I just not get enough in initially? With 1.4 qt capacity, having it .25 qt low seems a bit worrisome. Or, is it possible to put too much oil in?? I have not noticed any leaks at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom