1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Beat the crap out of the 80 today (EFI Fuse)

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by bull, Aug 21, 2006.

1. bull

bull

Media:
    Albums:
    Went on a local trail run with another cruiserhead. The old lady and my son took the 80 while my buddy took his FJ40. The trail we are on is an old riverbed with some pretty nasty boulders etc. On our decent We slide of a ledge and landed hard on the front control arm breaking the sway bar. I also crushed the cats and lost my right front fender only 2 more to go until I'm fenderless.

So when we landed hard on the boulder the 80 died immediately and I couldn't get it started. Luckily the cruiserhead I was with had a similar experience and pointed out that it must be a fuse our a fuel cut off switch.

I checked the fuse box and sure enough the EFI 15 amp fuse was burned out. Replaced it and it fired right up.

Is this a built in feature of when the cruiser is in an accident (hit hard..or hits something hard)..the EFI fuse blows to stop the fuel and engine from running?

2. MDarius

MDarius I break stuff. SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    In a lot of vehicles it is. I know that my Saturn I had and my Astro van both have this feature. The idea is that in a collision the fuel stops running and it reduces therisk of fire or explosion. I appreciate it. I guess fuses need to be a standard in the off road kit, if they aren't already.

3. MDarius

MDarius I break stuff. SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    In a lot of vehicles it is. I know that my Saturn I had and my Astro van both have this feature. The idea is that in a collision the fuel stops running and it reduces therisk of fire or explosion. I appreciate it. I guess fuses need to be a standard in the off road kit, if they aren't already.

4. bull

bull

Media:
    Albums:
    Yes. I had extras. Just weird how it blew out. I'm curious now on how they do it. If it is indeed done on purpose..

5. FirstToy

FirstToy

bull,
    NorcalDoug had this happen several times- he might have a fix.

6. dfmorse

dfmorse

There is nothing in the schematic that indicates a "blow the EFI Fuse" circuit.

7. alia176

alia176

Albums:
    I agree with Dave, your EFI fuse didn't blow because of for the reasons you're thinking of. Fuel cutoff switch or inertia switch is impact dependent and I don't know if our 80s have them or not (don't have a FSM handy at the moment). Your blew a fuse because somewhere in your system a short occurred due to the impact. NocalDoug's fuse kept blowing due to a short inside the fuel pump harness (inside the tank). Perhaps your impact duplicated his scenario? I dunno...!

I'm very impressed by the fact that your broke your sway bar though!

Ali

8. bull

bull

Media:
    Albums:
    I put another 15 amp fuse in and it was fine. So not sure if I still have a short or not.

I broke the sway bar mount where it attaches to the axle..

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">