Beast Build (95 FZJ) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jaymar

SILVER Star
Threads
BEAST BUILD INTRO

First up: Yeah, everybody calls their truck "Beast." But I didn't know that at the time. It's my Beast, and I'm sticking to it. Moving on... 1995 Toyota Land Cruiser FZJ80 with 237,000 original miles. Second engine comes from a 1996 Lexus LX450, pulled for a diesel swap at 170,000 miles.

--Intended Usage.

When looking at other people's builds, it's helpful to know what their goals are, and whether they align with your own and you should maybe consider doing what they're doing for the same reasons. Or whether you think they're boring or bat**** crazy (pick one) and nothing they do is likely to be of help to you. Do you wanna climb thousand-foot sand dunes in the Middle East, crawl rocks on the Rubicon--or daily drive, overland and camp? Those are three wildly different builds. Put me down for #3.

Intended vehicle usage is 80% or more daily driver, 20% or less serious overland. Nothing crazy. If I see a line likely to damage the vehicle or its occupants, I'm gonna take the long way around. I'm not doing all this work just to bash the thing up. Or shorten engine life, or time between rebuilds. Accordingly, no stroker, no forged pistons, wild cams, odd valvetrains etc. I don't particularly care about top-end power, so turbo is unlikely. Supercharger, on the other hand, is a possibility, assuming I can find one, in good shape, and afford it, and then afford the overhaul. I may not care about speed in the quarter-mile, but I do want to be able to haul ass from low RPMs if some idiot veers my way at a stoplight. (Plan B is the bull bar.) And these rigs could (within reason) use a little more get-up-and-go anyway.

No monster tires, no monster lift, both of which bring a whole host of related issues with them. 33s to 35s, not too fat; maybe 2 inches of lift. Outside of desert and deep snow, you'll almost never see a serious overlanding vehicle running big lifts or big fat tires, and there's a reason for that.

I want reliability, capability, and durability. Mechanically, this thing is a tank, and I'm not looking to change that. Engine and vehicle, once rebuilt, should last another 25 years and 250,000 miles with decent maintenance--at which point all of this can be done again, by me or someone else. Though parts may be a wee bit harder to come by.

--Work.

Everything I can afford to do, starting with a 1FZ rebuild, tranny rebuild and engine bay refresh/upgrade. Ideally the vehicle winds up better than new. Aside from that, building in everything needed (okay, everything needed and some things not so much needed as wanted) for serious overland use in North America.

Since I only have the one vehicle, the plan is to remove the 237k original engine, and swap in a recently-purchased 170k engine to run the truck while the 'old' engine is rebuilt--then swap them again. Both engines to be evaluated (as best I can) before commencing. How and when the tranny rebuild happens is still up in the air.

--Thanks.

I've been hanging here, sponging up information, doing piecemeal repairs, annoying trolls and offering what help I can based on my own meager experience with one Cruiser. Hopefully this thread will prove useful to others down the line. Right now I'd like to thank all of those who've shown patience and offered helpful advice so far (and hopefully going forward!), both on and off Mud. And of course @woody, without whom none of us would be here at all. It's hard to imagine even attempting this without a community like this to help, just because they want to. That said, this still looks like a thousand-banana job to me...

:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

--Budget & Timeline.

Budget? What budget? Landed a gig that will pay the bills for a while, or build an engine or (Door #3) a bit of both. So here we go. I'm not one of those guys who can hire consultants to tell me what I need, buy everything up front, pay a crew to do the work, and shoot a cool time-lapse video that makes it look like the whole thing happened in five minutes. This whole thing is gonna take a while. Years maybe. Then again, Joe Rogan waited two years for his, right?

JR 95 LC Shot 01.jpg

So, welcome to my slow-motion build...

Appropriately, the first thing to show up at my door (after the engine) was this. I got sick of trying to find things in the e-version, and got a deal from a friend. Apparently, this is the 'official' publisher of this and literally thousands of other FSMs, going back to Model Ts...

AC315215-3E4E-4637-9493-568F55CA80ED.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice! Looking forward to the progress.
One question, are you set on running the original engine long term? Why not evaluate them both before you do anything, and as long as the 170k checks out do your full build on that then only do one swap?

I want reliability, capability, and durability. Mechanically, this thing is a tank, and I'm not looking to change that. Engine and vehicle, once rebuilt, should last another 25 years and 250,000 miles with decent maintenance

Then just refresh to std spec.......
remember theyre the most over engineered 4wd built

Nice! Looking forward to the progress.
One question, are you set on running the original engine long term? Why not evaluate them both before you do anything, and as long as the 170k checks out do your full build on that then only do one swap?
Yeah that was the original intent, but I figured I’d wind up with a tired hi-mi engine that needed a rebuild. Now I’m thinking, why rebuild #2 if it’s "only 170k" and has maybe another 100k to go before rebuild? PM it instead. This is good. I was rusty on swaps.

:wrench:

Last edited:
Then just refresh to std spec.......
remember theyre the most over engineered 4wd built
Pretty much what I plan on, hopefully get away with just a hone and no boring. New components where I can, and the usual PM stuff (albeit post- instead of pre- in some cases).

Last edited:
So you do have a cruiser! :flipoff2: It’s a good looking rig. Looking forward to this “budget“ rebuild. Let’s see how far to the extremes you can take it.
Yes I do. So does Joe Rogan and, sadly, that’s his rig and not mine. Not so sadly, I didn’t pay a quarter million for mine…

:eek:

Last edited:
I thought it looked familiar, it’s a sweet rig.

Where’s yours?? Don’t be shy. We can’t troll you any more than we already have. Or can we? I can. But I will try to be nice. Don’t make me post my clapped out, peeling clear coat, what once used to look green, now looks more grey, brown rig just to lead the way.

I thought it looked familiar, it’s a sweet rig.

Where’s yours?? Don’t be shy. We can’t troll you any more than we already have. Or can we? I can. But I will try to be nice. Don’t make me post my clapped out, peeling clear coat, what once used to look green, now looks more grey, brown rig just to lead the way.
They sound like twins.

Current (original) engine, 237k miles, uses a quart of oil every few days, and I avg 5-10 miles a day. Main seal and/or oil pump cover, not blow-by. Waiting on some tools to assess engine prior to removal…

F6FBAA2E-BCCB-428E-A725-05729703E298.jpeg

‘New’ engine (170k miles), waiting on me to tidy up garage, get crane and stand and do some evaluation and PM prior to install (pics originally posted elsewhere)…

IMG_024082.JPG

IMG_024084.JPG

IMG_024085.JPG

IMG_024091.JPG

Since your truck seems to sit there (pine needles :oops:) what is your daily driver?
That is my DD, but It's not daily; mileage is an average. Looks aren't deceiving; most days it just gathers leaves. Looking to change that!

Last edited:
Okay, sh*t's getting real now...
Crane and stand on-site.

Crane and Stand on Pallet.jpg

BEAST BUILD INTRO

First up: Yeah, everybody calls their truck "Beast." But I didn't know that at the time. It's my Beast, and I'm sticking to it. Moving on... 1995 Toyota Land Cruiser FZJ80 with 237,000 original miles. Second engine comes from a 1996 Lexus LX450, pulled for a diesel swap at 170,000 miles.

--Intended Usage.

When looking at other people's builds, it's helpful to know what their goals are, and whether they align with your own and you should maybe consider doing what they're doing for the same reasons. Or whether you think they're boring or bats*** crazy (pick one) and nothing they do is likely to be of help to you. Do you wanna climb thousand-foot sand dunes in the Middle East, crawl rocks on the Rubicon--or daily drive, overland and camp? Those are three wildly different builds. Put me down for #3.

Intended vehicle usage is 80% or more daily driver, 20% or less serious overland. Nothing crazy. If I see a line likely to damage the vehicle or its occupants, I'm gonna take the long way around. I'm not doing all this work just to bash the thing up. Or shorten engine life, or time between rebuilds. Accordingly, no stroker, no forged pistons, wild cams, odd valvetrains etc. I don't particularly care about top-end power, so turbo is unlikely. Supercharger, on the other hand, is a possibility, assuming I can find one, in good shape, and afford it, and then afford the overhaul. I may not care about speed in the quarter-mile, but I do want to be able to haul ass from low RPMs if some idiot veers my way at a stoplight. (Plan B is the bull bar.) And these rigs could (within reason) use a little more get-up-and-go anyway.

No monster tires, no monster lift, both of which bring a whole host of related issues with them. 33s to 35s, not too fat; maybe 2 inches of lift. Outside of desert and deep snow, you'll almost never see a serious overlanding vehicle running big lifts or big fat tires, and there's a reason for that.

I want reliability, capability, and durability. Mechanically, this thing is a tank, and I'm not looking to change that. Engine and vehicle, once rebuilt, should last another 25 years and 250,000 miles with decent maintenance--at which point all of this can be done again, by me or someone else. Though parts may be a wee bit harder to come by.

--Work.

Everything I can afford to do, starting with a 1FZ rebuild, tranny rebuild and engine bay refresh/upgrade. Ideally the vehicle winds up better than new. Aside from that, building in everything needed (okay, everything needed and some things not so much needed as wanted) for serious overland use in North America.

Since I only have the one vehicle, the plan is to remove the 237k original engine, and swap in a recently-purchased 170k engine to run the truck while the 'old' engine is rebuilt--then swap them again. Both engines to be evaluated (as best I can) before commencing. How and when the tranny rebuild happens is still up in the air.

--Thanks.

I've been hanging here, sponging up information, doing piecemeal repairs, annoying trolls and offering what help I can based on my own meager experience with one Cruiser. Hopefully this thread will prove useful to others down the line. Right now I'd like to thank all of those who've shown patience and offered helpful advice so far (and hopefully going forward!), both on and off Mud. And of course @woody, without whom none of us would be here at all. It's hard to imagine even attempting this without a community like this to help, just because they want to. That said, this still looks like a thousand-banana job to me...

:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

--Budget & Timeline.

Budget? What budget? Landed a gig that will pay the bills for a while, or build an engine or (Door #3) a bit of both. So here we go. I'm not one of those guys who can hire consultants to tell me what I need, buy everything up front, pay a crew to do the work, and shoot a cool time-lapse video that makes it look like the whole thing happened in five minutes. This whole thing is gonna take a while. Years maybe. Then again, Joe Rogan waited two years for his, right?

View attachment 3254755

So, welcome to my slow-motion build...

Appropriately, the first thing to show up at my door (after the engine) was this. I got sick of trying to find things in the e-version, and got a deal from a friend. Apparently, this is the 'official' publisher of this and literally thousands of other FSMs, going back to Model Ts...

View attachment 3254786

Nice to see you in action! Good ole paper versions , love them!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom