1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bearings and 1HZ +turbos

Discussion in 'Diesel Tech / 24 volts' started by bigbrowndog, Jul 20, 2005.

1. bigbrowndog

bigbrowndog

http://secure.turbonet.com.au/discuss/messages/28/28.html
    I came across this last night, don't know if you guys have seen it or not. Was suprised at the number bitching about their 1HZ motors s***ting their bearings as I thought this was only a local thing in the north of Oz.Seems a lot throw a micky here especially when after market turbos are fitted.As for the non turbos ,I thought this was mainly due to poor maintainence and driver habits.Never hear much about this with the old 2H slugs or 12Ht. :cheers:

2. crushers

crushers post ho SILVER Star

curious since the aussi's seem to have the most problems with the big end bearings on the HDT and now you are alluding to simular problems with the 1hz i have to wonder if it IS the oil you boys use, the driving habits and the maitenace habits.
    where else have such numbers of problems been recorded?
    cheers

3. HZJ60 Guy

HZJ60 Guy Tank Buster

What are they running for oil Wayne?

Synthetic all the way baby, or nothing at all! (that means not to run the engine)

TB :doh:

4. Greg_B

Greg_B

Hey Radd. You did the BEB's on a 1HZ and 1HD-T...correct? What did you find again?

Wayne. Have you done any of your 1HD-T's yet? What have you found...

I am beginning to not believe it is only an Ozzy thing. We are now taking the tack to doing all 1HZ and 1HD-T that come through G&S as a precausion, after doing a few to check and get a datum. We have found some okay, and some showing flaking.

All cranks showing okay, with ACL's plasti-gauged in spec, and one HZ using the "Mark" factory bearings.

I would strongly suggest anyone wanting to pump up an HZ do the BEB's if they have not been done already...

At this point it looks to me to be a bearing composition issue...or perhaps lugging at low rpm. High sodium oils from Japan may have helped reduce the issue, however to me it makes sense to switch them out and go with ACL's now they are in North America...otherwise a few years down the road...

I know some pulled have been okay and shown nothing unusual. Best bet is to just do them and get it over...

gb

Last edited: Jan 9, 2006
  5. bad_religion_au

bad_religion_au

i was told by a toyota mech that the big end bearings in the early 1hd-ts was due to toyota using a cheaper bearing than the later ones. the cheaper bearings happen to be the same as the 1hz BEB's. but if you boost a 1hz up too much, it's likely to blow the precombustion chamber, hence why they don't seem to have boost related issues on the BEB.

and your right about not seeing the prob with the 2H... they couldn't keep their heads in one piece for long enough :D

6. HZJ60 Guy

HZJ60 Guy Tank Buster

Rob did my BEB's in my 1HZ. How did the old ones look Rob?

Well I use what I consider the best synthetic oil in the world, along with a bypass oil filter. Im not to worried about it.

Tom

7. bigbrowndog

bigbrowndog

http://secure.turbonet.com.au/discuss/messages/28/320.html?TuesdaySeptember2320030959pm
    http://www.a1.nl/phomepag/markerink/80bigend.htm

If you look at these two it makes one wonder. Most of the blokes I know who have Landcruisers are in the building trade and also use them to tow heavy trailers for their work. Most use them also for recreation on the weekends .Some of the blokes I know would be better suited to driving V8 utes, putting on a turbo and trying to drive it like a sports ute does not seem what a cruiser is about . I would expect many would not admit to poor maintainence re oil changes and timing belts.Though most of the blokes on properties complain understandardly that they are making them too soft for the city people.Seems to be so many throw the bearings I was wondering what you guys thought. Thanks. :cheers: :whoops:

8. bigbrowndog

bigbrowndog

I have always run Castrol rX super in mine but it is a 2H. I only started on this as I was thinking of upgrading to a newer model HJ75. Salesman I know told me to buy a new windscreen frame and keep what I have[ came as a bit of a shock]. Was looking for something with a bit more grunt.

9. bigbrowndog

bigbrowndog

still a lot of H and 2H motors around with 300,000 to 600,000 ks on them. I have a mate who works on a station on the cape his 1979 truck had well over 500,000 ks last time I saw him.Reckons he would not buy a HJ75, too soft, can't leave the windows down when it rains & not enough room in the cab to turn a rifel round in when I'm shooting. Some blokes have their priorities. :idea:

10. Greg_B

Greg_B

With new BEB's I would not be either Tom...

gb

11. bigbrowndog

bigbrowndog

http://www.a1.nl/phomepag/markerink/80bigend.htm This link was given to me by the salesman. I should have mentioned that, seems to go on forever. :eek:
    Just wanted to ask ,when you blokes changed to synthetic oils did you wash out your engines before the change? I have not heard much about running synthetic oil in diesels but a common thing here was when hi performance 6 and V8 petrol engines were changed over they developed a lot of sludge causing some failures.Known locally as the black death.It was not much of a problem with semi synthetic at all but then that is usually a heavier grade oil pehaps better suited to the clearences.Thanks.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2005
  12. Tapage

Tapage Club 4X4 Panamá SILVER Star

I was no notice that this common problem in the end big bearings here .. off course, not a lots of people here use their 80 series to pull any o carry anything. In the other hand the Coaster bus, here come with the 1HZ engine, and believeme Coaster Driver think much faster, with more people, more money .. :D

this engines have no issues and really poor maintenance.

13. bad_religion_au

bad_religion_au

yeah i was only givin ya gip about the 2h :D my bro's H is runnin fine.

i was surprised to hear mention of the 1hz like this, the 1hd-t an ex toyota service mechanic told me all about, even how to I.D. the ones more prone to it (between certain engine numbers a really dodgy batch of bearings was used) but i forgot the numbers... doh

but many of my friends run 1hz's in their 80's, 100's, and 75's

one is religeous about oil changes but that's as far as he goes maintanence wise, in his 75 series, tows a heavy trailer (building industry) drives it like a sports car, and is runnin 16 PSI of boost at idle with his home made turbo kit. on weekends he bolts on the 35's and thrashes it mercilessly, and in 100 000k
    s (since he fitted the turbo) his motor costs include: oil and filters, a set of glowplugs.

this truck is why i am fond of the 1hz

14. crushers

i have 2 of my rigs going under th eknife in the next couple weeks so i will report my findings..
    cheers

15. HZJ60 Guy

HZJ60 Guy Tank Buster

See that's just WRONG! (no offense) Synthetic oil has way more solvent activity in it than any dyno oil. It's because of this that OLD engines offen develope LEAKS after switching over to synthetic. The Synthetic oil washes away all of the old sludge build up and exposes gasket issues that might have been fine with the old sludge keeping them sealed!!!!

16. bigbrowndog

bigbrowndog

No Offense Taken I am trying to get a bit more knowledge, even quite happy to listen to constructive critizism. cheers.
    I posted this on mud in Febuary this year5/2/05 [way you guys write it.
    http://www.chris-longhurst.com/carbibles/entrypoint.html?menu.html&engineoil_bible.html
    In this article Longhurst outlines some problems, This was taken of a hot commodore forum in Oz.We were discussing engine failures in Modified V6 and V8 [304/355 and Gen 3 motors[ls1]. This not confined to GM & GMH motors,the Ford boys and the Ricers have the same problem. I have one my sons V6s in my garaage at the moment, oil failure.The sump and rocker covers were full of sludge [black sticky s***] this engine was running mineral oil then changed to Mobil 1. This engine had quality bearings,with all ARP bolts throughout.Modified cam and chip 1800 stallie.
    :cheers: dam spelling,

17. bigbrowndog

bigbrowndog

Me too, A few of the boys have stuffed theirs here, I felt they would probaly blow a bog standard ford 302 or com 304[pretty hard].I was shocked when I read the last post on the bearings,went on for ages. Then I remembered the guys in Canada & USA seem to swear by them. I pretty well had made up my mind to upgrade,will wait and see. Looks a quicker job to pull out a 1HZ compared to a 2H. cheers :cheers:
    Crushers, thanks look forward to it. :cheers:

18. crushers

what have been the pyro readings on these engines with failures? what about coolant temp, what was the readings?
    i am not a big fan of full synth at all, i like the semisynth but i still have to keep an open mind...
    cheers

19. bigbrowndog

bigbrowndog

Hi Crushers, Not sure at all. Did you read the post, thats all I had to go by, really set me back
    I tend to agree about the synthetic oil also, I changed my Senator back to Mobil S it is semi synthetic but has a higher low number reading. The LSD independent rear end has to have synthetic though.Our operating temperatures would be higher than yours.Always stuck with Rx super in the old 2H.cheers.

20. crushers

i have read tons of williams posts in the past...
    i might have to give this one another read...
    run a litre of tranny fluid through to flush the system befroe the next oil change and see all the crap that comes out...
    cheers