Bearing packing/Knuckle servicing/whatever weekend? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is anyone interested in doing some kind of vehicle servicing day this fall? The knuckles on my 60 need new seals and such. And I need to install a new oil pan gasket. Anyone else need to do similar things to thier truck(s)? My dad has a large garage/shop that we could work on the vehicles in. (We live in Cedar Falls) Probably 4 or 5 at a time in the garage at once.

Let me know if there is any interest. Also, if you learned in the ways of the Land Cruiser and would like to help some young "grasshoppers" out, feel free to chime in.

I was thinking a saturday in Nov. maybe???

Blue 60

I think this is a great idea. There is so much that can be learned in short period of time if a person only has someone to show how it's done.
I spend alot of time reading how-to's on the internet and invariably, they leave something out.

I'd be interested in such a wrench-n-eat or wrench-n-learn or wrench-n-drink or something like that. I've learned a fair bit over the last few years and maybe I could help but there's still alot I don't know and hopefully some "pro's" would be willing to show up and assist.

Unfortuantly, all my experience so far as been with first gen pickups and 4runners and I don't know how much of that would apply to the LC's.

The maintenance on my brick is up to date, but I would be willing to lend a hand/ wrenches on other work being done. (date dependent of course!)

My knuckles are also up to date but I'm having to take it all apart again to replace my front diff. So, this is where I'm at right now.
I still think the sharing of knowledge is a good thing. :grinpimp:
Toy_knuckle.jpg

I think it would be fun to have a working/learning/hanging out get-together. My boyfriend, Lance, is still in the process of finishing his 40 and there are a few things left to do. It doesn't run, though, so we might not be able to work on it anywhere but the garage. I'm not sure if there is anything that needs to be done on the Taco, but we could still come and have some fun and maybe learn something.

I'm always up for a learning experience! :) Especially when it comes to working on vehicles--I don't know much about them, but I'm picking stuff up little-by-little.

God, you aren't the now-married Erin Moody, are you??? If so, you can't imagine the crush I've had on you for, oh, so many years.
And if you admit to being Erin Moody, then I promise not to stalk you on this board or anywhere else. :beer:

I think it would be fun to have a working/learning/hanging out get-together. My boyfriend, Lance, is still in the process of finishing his 40 and there are a few things left to do. It doesn't run, though, so we might not be able to work on it anywhere but the garage. I'm not sure if there is anything that needs to be done on the Taco, but we could still come and have some fun and maybe learn something.

I'm always up for a learning experience! :) Especially when it comes to working on vehicles--I don't know much about them, but I'm picking stuff up little-by-little.

Nice video. I thought there for a minute that I was going to see you go flying backwards as your hands appeared to be slipping off it. Good thing you used those paper towels!

:grinpimp:

God, you aren't the now-married Erin Moody, are you??? If so, you can't imagine the crush I've had on you for, oh, so many years.
And if you admit to being Erin Moody, then I promise not to stalk you on this board or anywhere else. :beer:

Nope, I'm neither married nor is my last name Moody. Sorry for the let down! :frown:

I'm fixin' to pull apart and rebuild a Solid front axle, with new HD inner seals, new birf seals and wipers. If anyone is interesting is learning how, or bringing their SFA rig over, I'll have all the tools out and I actually have an extra mini-truck knuckle rebuild kit (can't remember if I have bearings tho).

I'll be doing this either this afternoon, or tomorrow afternoon.

Is anyone interested in doing some kind of vehicle servicing day this fall? The knuckles on my 60 need new seals and such. And I need to install a new oil pan gasket. Anyone else need to do similar things to thier truck(s)? My dad has a large garage/shop that we could work on the vehicles in. (We live in Cedar Falls) Probably 4 or 5 at a time in the garage at once.

Let me know if there is any interest. Also, if you learned in the ways of the Land Cruiser and would like to help some young "grasshoppers" out, feel free to chime in.

I was thinking a saturday in Nov. maybe???

Blue 60

Get anything together yet? I am way getting cabin fever.

Hi Everyone,
I just moved to IA and am pleased to see that there are some fellow cruiser heads out here. Does anyone have a birfield repack/knuckle service planned for any time soon? I am planning on doing mine for the first time and I would like to observe/help someone do theirs if possible.

Hi Everyone,
I just moved to IA and am pleased to see that there are some fellow cruiser heads out here. Does anyone have a birfield repack/knuckle service planned for any time soon? I am planning on doing mine for the first time and I would like to observe/help someone do theirs if possible.

Welcome, Glad to see you found your way.

Unless someone breaks we're pretty much done wrenchin' for the year, winter was hard, I know I don't want any down time.

If you want go to Introductions up top and show some pix of your rig and tell us a little about your self.

Hi nicholas.

Yeah, I'm good to go on knuckle work this year. In fact, I'm currently building a "new" front axle for one of my 4runners. I've never had an LC, but from what I've read, they are nearly identical.

This axle I'm building is currently just a housing, I'm cleaning and prepping it for painting. Then, I'll be loading it with fun parts and putting it together in the next couple of months. I expect to order some parts this week and should be ready for assembly in 4-6 weeks.

You're welcome to come by and either help or use my tools to do your own and I'll help. I'll try to nail down a weekend and let people know in case anyone else is interested.
85_toyota_front_axle_01.jpg

Well then, Nicholas and I are shooting for the last weekend in June. If anyone else wants to stop by, that would be fine. Small additional maintenance type projects are welcome. No tranny swaps please. :)

Located in the Drake area.

Is truck washing considered maintenance? 'Cause mine needs it BAD. Still covered in CM08 dust.

My biggest pressing issue at the moment is cancer at the rear rocker panel (drivers side) I just need to get fancy with a sawzall and bondo. Hard to bring myself to make that first cut though.

I've got a couple of cutting tools, tho I don't have a dremel, I need to get one.
Washing might not count but hacking on the fenders does~! Bring it on by, come to think of it, I'll be trimming some rust off the stock 4runner one of these days.
EDIT: I should be clear about my skills~ I consider them minimal and just good enough to get the job done. I don't have any mechanical training, the work that I've done so far is just by reading the instructions, asking questions and then doing it. I make some mistakes and sometimes get things just right.
So, if anyone with ALOT of mechanical experience wants to join us, it would be much appreciated.

Is truck washing considered maintenance? 'Cause mine needs it BAD. Still covered in CM08 dust.

My biggest pressing issue at the moment is cancer at the rear rocker panel (drivers side) I just need to get fancy with a sawzall and bondo. Hard to bring myself to make that first cut though.

Last edited:
Nice video. I thought there for a minute that I was going to see you go flying backwards as your hands appeared to be slipping off it. Good thing you used those paper towels!

:grinpimp:

Hahah, I was close to falling over backwards. That was fresh grease in the knuckles and still very slippery, as you noticed. :eek::bounce::whoops:

Flooded out, no service this month. Re-schedule. Gah.

I'm going to try and get my axles rebuilt this weekend if anyone wants to help drive on over to nebraska and grab a wrench..... lol.....i got lots of beer and advil ....... also going to replace my window regulator, front brakes and a/c belt.....and the fuel fill tube......change oil and filters....spark plugs....... and.........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom