Bearing cap question - F motor (1 Viewer)

The FSM says 'to prevent oil leakage , use sealant on the contact surface of the front and rear bearing caps'
Can't figure this out - what contact surface? not with the block, the shims are between the bearing caps and the block....

Poser

Oh...Durka Durka Durka.
s-Moderator
Supporting Vendor

F engine manual?

I have not ever put any sealant on the main caps of # 1 or # 4, F or 2F, and not had any issues....

Good luck!

-Steve

65swb45

Elder Statesman
Supporting Vendor

That's definitely one case where common sense has to overrule whatever the book says! I cannot think of a single place in the engine where exacting torque and clearances are required than on the crank, and the last thing I would EVER consider doing is applying some adhesive that could even potentially affect the torque and clearance of my main bearings.

If the FSM says that, then it's just wrong.

Then again, there are plenty of other instances where I don't go by the book either. I will just add this to the list.

BTW, good on you for asking. ;)

Degnol said:
I think that refers to replacement of the oil pan gasket.

What page?

Ed
Right. It calls for a non setting sealant at each point in the corners of the pan (which would be real close to the main caps). where the end cork pieces go.

FJ40Jim

The Cruiser Whisperer

74fj40 said:
The FSM says 'to prevent oil leakage , use sealant on the contact surface of the front and rear bearing caps'
Can't figure this out - what contact surface? not with the block, the shims are between the bearing caps and the block....
Yes, between the cap and the block, to prevent oil seepage to the outside. A small amount of P-tex#1 is all that's needed.

FJ40Jim said:
Yes, between the cap and the block, to prevent oil seepage to the outside. A small amount of P-tex#1 is all that's needed.
So, on the very outside edge of the cap? What if the shim is in the way?

FJ40Jim

The Cruiser Whisperer

74fj40 said:
So, on the very outside edge of the cap? What if the shim is in the way?
Yeah, I put it nearer the outside edge. On the rare occasion where I actually rebuild an old F engine, yes I put a little on the shim.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom