Bear Wallow fire.. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

splitshot

Head cook, Bottle washer, and Peace keeper.
Threads
This one bums me out...

My boss has a house in Alpine that we haul all the kids up and chill every summer (hope it is still there). Sounds like that section of the Whites are for the long term, changed.:frown:

I hear ya. The Chiracahuas are changed for a long time too. We desperately need some rain.

We were up at Big Lake camping last weekend and were very surprised that they encouraged fires. This bums me out as well as we camp a lot at rustler park in the Chiracahuas and I fish alot near and around Big Lake. People need to use more common sense with fires, it was extremely windy last weekend for 3 days straight.

We were up at Big Lake camping last weekend and were very surprised that they encouraged fires. This bums me out as well as we camp a lot at rustler park in the Chiracahuas and I fish alot near and around Big Lake. People need to use more common sense with fires, it was extremely windy last weekend for 3 days straight.
We have camped at Big Lake several times, and it is pretty common to be windy, especially up at the big campground on top. Were they "encouraging" or "allowing" campfires? Hope that new western finger of the fire doesn't get all the way to the lake. If that area gets burned, it won't be any fun hiking Baldy anymore!! John

This is heart breaking. That part of he state has always been specail to me. It blows my mind that that kind of high alpine forest ( spruce, firs, aspens) can trhise in this desert state. My heart goes out to all effected by this.

Our land in Pinedale got burned during the rodeo chadeski fire. We had not built yet, but all of our neighbors were burnt to the ground. It is amazing how fast life returns, but it will not be the same in our life time.

My prayers to all in the way of the fire.

Last edited:
The Alpine / Big Lake area is a favorite of ours too. Our thoughts go out to those unfortunate folks.

We have camped at Big Lake several times, and it is pretty common to be windy, especially up at the big campground on top. Were they "encouraging" or "allowing" campfires? Hope that new western finger of the fire doesn't get all the way to the lake. If that area gets burned, it won't be any fun hiking Baldy anymore!! John

They were "allowing" campfires, by encouraging I mean you are met by a huge bin filled with firewood that they are selling and offer it to you when you pull in.

They were "allowing" campfires, by encouraging I mean you are met by a huge bin filled with firewood that they are selling and offer it to you when you pull in.
Yea, I remember the firewood at the gate. I'm too cheap to pay for it. The kids and I wandered about 1/4 mile out into the sticks and found more than enough for the 5 days we were there last time.

Lot of fires right now. It's been far to dry hear this year with most of the rest of the country getting drowned out. :frown:

Lot of fires right now. It's been far to dry hear this year with most of the rest of the country getting drowned out. :frown:

Ain't that the truth, Western Missouri/Eastern Oklahoma resembled a swamp. On the way back, we couldn't see the the Chiracahuas from I-10 due to the smoke...

My favorite Elk camp is about 2 miles North of where the Wallow fire started. At least I have memories of what it used to look like..:frown:

Canada is geeting it too. When I was driving through a few weeks ago, slave lake Alberta was up in flames, 8,000 persons evacuated, while 600 miles away in central BC Houston and othe towns were under water.

4dec35296de18.image.jpg

This was the first morning of heavy smoke here in Pinetop. The wind has been so heavy that smoke has been blown to the east, but calmer this morning, so smoke settled in. Wind picked up mid-morning and calmed later this afternoon. With wind in the forecast and no rain on the horizon, it's feeling bleak for the foreseeable future. Lots of sincere prayers being offered for the weather, firefighters, and evacuees. Many people have contacted the Red Cross to offer land for evacuated livestock and houses for people. Fact of the matter is that here in the forest we pray for rain all the time and hope people will be responsible in our backyards, because when conditions are ripe like this, it's a pretty tough scenario.

I wonder how old that map is. I've been emailing a few friends with property around Nutrioso. Earlier this afternoon the report was that Greer was being evacuated "immediately" And Nutrioso was totally surround except to the north.

Sucks:frown:

I wonder how old that map is. I've been emailing a few friends with property around Nutrioso. Earlier this afternoon the report was that Greer was being evacuated "immediately" And Nutrioso was totally surround except to the north.

Sucks:frown:
Dated 06-06..
If you hear anything, let us know. We are friends of the owner of the Nutrioso sawmill as well. Guess nobody is going to know what is left till this is all over and folks are allowed back in.

Todays progress:
wallow-fire-burn-map-apache-sitgreaves640.jpg
wallow-fire-burn-map-apache-sitgreaves640.jpg

Last edited:
Every forest in AZ is gonna burn if we don't get a metric s***-ton of rain and get it soon.

:eek: :frown:

had to cancel our rental on mt. lemmon for my mom's b-day next week. i was looking forward to that...

Up late doing papers for summer school so I thought I would post the latest news. Apparently the fire burned through Greer at 10pm. I could not find anything about whether the town was still standing or lost totally. Apparently they are surveying the damage. That poor town and those poor people it makes me sick. I wish our Govt would put away the bipartisan bull and and tell the special interest green groups to pound sand. That their votes cant be bought and that the law suites brought by green groups to preserve pristine forest lands only cause catastrophes like this to happen because god for bid the forest service might know what they are doing when they order a thinning of the forest which would have helped prevent this tragedy.

Any news on what started this yet, all I've read so far is it is under investigation and some rumors of a campfire from an ignorant sob (if that is the case, hope they hang his ass).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom