Bean! My FJ60 build and adventure (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey y'all! I'm currently headed down the coast on a little adventure from Seattle to Mexico in my 1987 FJ60 I've named 'Bean' and I figured I'd start my own build + adventure thread. I'll be sure to post more detailed photos of my build and of course all of the good stuff I see out on the road along the way

My original plan wasn't to build an adventure mobile...it all started with simply wanting a strong running wagon to use occasionally. But after finding TorFab's shop, he's an incredible mechanic and was pumped to build my rig, I decided to sell my home (a 17' Casita travel trailer)

- 1987 FJ60 w/ 170,000 miles with its original 2F
- H55F transmission
- Jim C rebuilt carb
- OME heavy suspension
- ARB rear locker
- ARB roof rack
- ARB Fridge
- ARB awning
- 38 gallon aux tank
- White Knuckle sliders
- Tuffy center console
- ProComp 15x8 rims + 33x12.5 Goodyear DuraTracs
- 4+ Front bumper
- 4x4 labs rear bumper w/ ladder + 3 jerry can
- Warn 9.5cti-s winch
- Dual batteries w/ IBS controller
- PIAA 570 LED lights
- Ciebe H4 glass + wiring upgrade

- Custom rear drawer and sleeper build out (photos soon)

Future plans:

- 5.3L V8...diesels are temping right?
- Rear air bags
- Campteq pop up....does he ever build them for FJ60's?

Last edited:
Aren't you worried about all of the cartel violence in Mexico? For years, some friends and I would travel to Acuna and go deer hunting. Small place; 36 square miles. The hunting was incredible! Really miss going down there.

Sweet rig. My rig will be heading into Tor's in the next few weeks hopefully to get the V8 installed. Give me a ring when you get back up here, would be cool to meet up with another cruiser head. Safe travels.

Aren't you worried about all of the cartel violence in Mexico?

Not going to be naive about it and say I'm not concerned at all but my first Mexican destination is Baja via heading south of Ensenada quick + avoiding border towns.

From personal friends I've talked who have traveled Central America and reading my fair share of experiences on Expedition Portal it's fair to say Mexico can be a safe place. Just like America...which can also be extremely dangerous if you get yourself into the wrong place.

Sweet rig!! I knew it looked familiar and I went and checked my instagram and your 60 was posted by a company called "Polerstuff" as an adventuremobile. I have 60 envy. Good luck on your trip!

very nice cruiser

Awesome rig - keep us updated throughout the trip. I love seeing pictures of 60s out doing what they were meant to do!

sweet set up bro... if it was a different time of the year, I would say when you pass portland i'll be right behind you... keep us updated. I see you have a sleeping platform but also have a roof top tent.. on a stop and go trip like your doing, I would like to hear your experiend on the matter. do you find it easier to just sleep in the car or do you actually open up the tent everynight.. i know it only takes a couple of minutes to deploy but how practical does it end up being.. i keep going back and forth about buying one or not.. let us know.. balla con dios

Aren't you worried about all of the cartel violence in Mexico? For years, some friends and I would travel to Acuna and go deer hunting. Small place; 36 square miles. The hunting was incredible! Really miss going down there.

I have been guiding and outfitting hunts in Sonora Mexico for almost 20 years and I have never felt like I was in any danger. That being said, there are places to avoid and you have to be smart but that's no different than anywhere. I just got back from my ranches near Hermosillo this past week and we had a wonderful month down there this year

I would not venture into Mexico along the Texas border. I was born and raised near San Antonio and have a lot of experience going across the border there as well and just wouldn't do it these days. The Zetas are ruthless

Great looking rig! To agree with the other posts I just spent a year in Texas and the general consensus was to stay away from the borders in Texas esp near El Paso. That being said though you know what general consensus can be worth.

Uh just so you know...THERE'S A DEER IN YOUR TRUCK!!! Nice rig, safe travels. And the real dangers in LA!!

dude I love your truck. Love the color, the rear bumper and yes the roof top tent. You're braver than i am for standing on the roof, I'm too worried I'd break the gutters off.

Last edited:
Cool pics! I'd love to see your rig, it's got everything I NEED for mine! if you're cruising through San Diego and have time to hang or if you need a quick wrenching spot I'm maybe two miles east of the 5 fwy.

Damn you, you have all the parts I want for my truck! :p

Great looking 60, enjoy the trip!

Drove through Avenue of the Giants yesterday, amazing place:

I finally had to pay for a camping spot last night. I'm use to traveling alone and you can camp on the down low easily, but my buddy is traveling with me on this trip....it's why I have the roof top tent. Speaking of the tent, a good buddy of mine owns an apparel company called Poler Stuff, and he had a few made and gave me one. Below are some images of my build out, I'll the post other bits later on. There are some other storage areas you can't see.

This build is based of off Luis's from Lost World Expedition and I believe he was inspired by Kevin's build out. Mattress is a 6" twin memory foam I got off of amazon, I simply cut the sides to fit around the fridge and side storage but length was perfect. If anyone is looking for a turn key storage and sleeping setup, Tor had 3 of these made at the time mine was built if you're looking for a solution.

First paid camping spot, MacKerricher State Park:

ARB 50qt fridge with slider:

Wagon Gear tail gate storage:

Plastic so the drawers slide easily:

Custom bracket Tor built for my 10# propane tank from AT Trailers:

One drawer pulls out for a cooking platform and the Partner Stove stows in a drawer:

Coffee! I dig this Stanley setup for morning coffee, comes with 2 cups:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom