Beach 'N' Toys Monthly Meeting - First Tuesday of each month, see thread above for location (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Henry and I will be there

My force ghost will hang out with Tim until I get there.

See you next month

Hi everyone, it's the new guy Rob. Nice to meet y'all last night. You've got a great group going, and I'm planning on driving up my 1970 FJ40 to the clubhouse on Sunday (am I supposed to RSVP someplace else?). Still deciding if I take the backroads or clog up the slow lane on the 15 as a Sunday driver. But would love everyone's input on what project to do first (maybe the bungee cord on the battery, hahah)!

c9084888-24a6-4cc9-82ee-b40878c3b7c9.jpg

381545e4-262b-427a-ba32-02a23d5e5ddf.jpg

3087be9c-1c53-4c2c-a75c-20957a43f58a.jpg

09fae0a6-4bc2-4767-8d5c-eea790bfb385.jpg

@Prospector70 would definitely say the battery and git it a good once over! See if there any anysaftey issues that may need to be fixed! Then go onto improving it! How well does it run and drive? 15 isn't terrible I've done it in the 60 towing a trailer and averaged about 55.

I would say certainly plan on replacing all the soft lines(coolant hoses, brake hoses, vacuum etc) Replace and flush all fluids, coolant, brake fluid, fuel filter, diff fluid, transfer case fluid etc. I would also look carefully at the brake system, master cylinder, calipers and pads if discs or drum cylinders and pads if drums. Then look at all the hard fuel and brake lines and consider replacing based on condition. Next wiring, look at fuses, panel for burns/discoloring, look at all wires for chafing, cracks, and look at connectors for brittle and rusty terminal ends. Consider rebuilding the alternator. Check the fuel tank and pump for cracks/rust/leaks. Longer term look at new radiator, water pump, carb rebuilds etc. And finally start building and making improvements if desired. My preference would be to keep it stock as possible for nostalgia, original 40's that aren't modified are rare.

@Prospector70 would definitely say the battery and git it a good once over! See if there any anysaftey issues that may need to be fixed! Then go onto improving it! How well does it run and drive? 15 isn't terrible I've done it in the 60 towing a trailer and averaged about 55.
Agreed. How does it drive... Mushy brakes and really loud, so that's normal right? I'll be the old guy in slow lane waving trucks around.
Thx for the list @Landcrusing. Like I said at the meeting I know nothing, but showing up ready to learn from the best around and just have some fun. Bringing beers and donuts. Haha.

They are cool plates. Looks like copper.:cool: I think there is still a catch though. When I was looking for my 1972 FJ40 years ago, you were required to have classic vehicle insurance. When I looked at that, I recall it had specific requirements with mileage limits, garage storage requirements, yearly classic vehicle filings with the DMV. etc.

Yeah, California is pretty strict on the historic vehicle plates. Only supposed to be driven to or from a show/parade and no more than I think 500 miles a year. Or something like that.

Yeah, California is pretty strict on the historic vehicle plates. Only supposed to be driven to or from a show/parade and no more than I think 500 miles a year. Or something like that.
Yeah, i did not apply for historic in CA, too much red tape. But the AZ plates will for sure go up on the garage wall. Wanted to get the time-relevant 70s blue and gold CA plates but they don't do that. I can't even get the 60s black plates (which at least look cool). DMV is istill n shutdown mode.

@Phulcrum - I'll show up with some beers and a batch of Texas Twinkies for the smoker that'll take about 2 hours at 275 degrees...
I'm not much of a morning person, so probably not at 8AM though, maybe more likely 10AM...

Alrighty, going to come out tonight since I couldn't make it last month. 6:30pm right? I'm going to drag the 40 out of the garage, even it complains the whole time, lol.
Yup! Meeting starts at 630 so we normally get there early to have a few beers and order food.

Hey there! Question, is the group meeting up tomorrow as it's the 1st and the 1st Tuesday of the month? Thanks and looking forward to meeting everyone!

Sean and I will be missing this months meeting again. We bought a house (yay!) but have a lot of updating/repairs to do (boo!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom