Beach driving woes... sticky throttle. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I had the cruiser loaded up with the family last friday (jump seats and all) and decided to take them on a little beach wheeling excursion.

I didn't bother airing down because I wasn't planning on straying from the tracks already left by others. When I attempted a turn around I got bogged down a bit, and started loosing traction, What a perfect oppertunity to use my lockers! (my girlfriend is petrified of getting stuck on the beach and swears I attempt to get stuck on purpose)

Well, not knowing the lockers are stubborn after long periods of non-use, I couldn't get them to engage. I crept back and forth, trying to get them locked, only getting myself dug further into the sand in the process. My spare was dragging now, and with 6 adults inside it was starting to get hairy. So I got out and my dad and I aired down to get some more tread on the sand. When I got back inside, I noticed it was idling up near 2K. It would drop back to normal once it was in a drive gear. Having no luck with the lockers I threw it back up into H and just blasted myself out. Pretty impressive considering the mess I had gotten myself into. I've seen many rigs dug in the sand as bad as I was that were gonners and had to be towed.

The throttle was sticking up near 2K in drive, and neutral until it had been shut off for a few hours. Now its fine. The PO had the dealer install a "special order throttle position sensor" as stated by the work order about 20K miles back, two years ago. Which has me wondering.

oh, And I did get the lockers to engage in the gravel on my driveway later that day, and have tested them a few times since, they are geting a little better each time. The front locks up almost immediatly, but the back is still a little stubborn. Sorry for the long winded story, wonder if anyone ever experienced the sticky throttle and if it also corrected itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom