Beach Driving - Questions? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was fishing at the Outer Banks last year and a buddy of mine brought his 99 100. I explained that he needed to lock the center diff but he said he never had and that he never had any problem. I rode with him all over Cape Hatteras the 100 just scooted right along. No problems what so ever, we even pulled out a Ford F250 Super Duty Diesel (low range with center diff locked). I was thinking, maybe you don't lock the center diff in sand. What is the groups thoughts on this?

Thanks,

uzj100

I drive in the sand just about every weekend and have tested it with and without the diff lock engaged. I would have to say with the diff lock engaged, the LX had a tendency to work harder and sink a bit. Without the diff lock engaged, it floats nicely across the sand with no problems.

That is what I thought but it was his truck and I could not convince him other wise.

Thank you for the info,

uzj100

I drive on the sand quite a bit on Chappaquidick Island and haven't noticed any difference with the diff locked or not.

Maybe it's the 305s...

Chappaquidick, Hmmm yesterday was an anniversary of sorts.

though i have an 80, i've often wondered the same question. i live in the desert and often run on sand. i usually lock the center to avoid over heating the VC. i haven't done much sand cruising with it unlocked for fear of getting stuck/burning up the VC. hmmm. we need more input on this..

have relatively little experience with this but here:
- did some runs in semi-deep sand with the 100 with CDL unlocked. Never got stuck. Did not try with the thing locked that I recall. Regular pressure.
- with the 80 I did some dune work at Pismo. I ended up leaving the CDL locked. Never got stuck. (Had street tires on at about 15psi.) I surely must have tried with the CDL unlocked and must have concluded that it was better with it locked. Don't remember details. Never did run much with end diffs locked. I think I tried and it was worse.

Haven't needed to lock it. Tire pressure is more important.

Stock 2000 TLC Driving on Cape Cod National Seashore beaches, all tires below 15lbs, I have not had any problems getting along with UNLOCKED center diff. I leave it that way most of the time. Haven't noticed any problems.

The sand is pretty coarse. You couldn't ride a mountain bike in it.

On a couple of steep hills, with lots of divots in the tracks, I occassionaly (not always) lock the diff. My general impression in sand is if you start slowly enough without spinning the rear, the unlocked center diff can catch any slippage when needed.

Same observation as with '96 Jeep GC V8, full time 4wd which uses a Viscuous Coupling center diff when the T-Case is not in Low (locked) position.

If you lock any diff on sand, you guarantee at least some tire slippage.
Tire slippage = wheel bogging down in sand.

If you unlock the diff on sand, the transmission gives each wheel the power it needs to NOT slip.
Not slipping = staying on top of the sand.

LT
(Bogue Sound, Emerald Isle, Carteret County, all NC)

Just to confuse the issue, used to have a mazda tribute (ford escape I think in your country) with a lockable centre viscous diff. If the centre diff wasn't locked, then it would almost certainly come to a stop in any soft sand - front wheels would start to spin. It went no worries at all when the centre was locked. Traded up to LC100...Sand...what sand? Unbelievable difference in capability.

Ah, points. The difference is that your Maz-Ford was front-wheel drive until you engaged the center viscous coupling. That gave you four wheel, and I suspect that the viscous meant that your center diff allowed some slippage in the diff and not as much in your tires when you turned.

the 100 series, on the other hand, has all wheel drive all the time. When you lock the center, you just turn it into an old-fashioned four-wheel drive.

LT

Headed out to Cape Lookout (South Core) this week for a couple days of camping. This will be my second experience there in 3 years, but is my only serious sand driving.

For you experienced NC sand drivers, how does South Core rank versus your other treks?

Thanks

Andrew

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom