Be Cool Or Stock? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey I have a 1970 with a 2f 40 and Im about to replace the cooling system. Has anyone used be cool radiators in their 40s? Are they better than stock because I heard that the stock ones work the best but I dont know for sure.

stock should work just great in your 40

because BE COOL makes alumanum radiators and the stock ones arent. Does that make a difference?

Well,

If you FEEL that you NEED an aluminum radiator, by all means, I would install one in your truck before Kalifornia bans them too.... ;)

Good luck!

-Steve

i would stisck with the stock one just make sure you geat a 4 row not a three, i run a four row in both of my 40s both have aftermarket carbs and one has dui ign and headers it runs cool as a cucumber on a stocker

The stock motors cool just fine with a properly maintained stock radiator. If you have cooling issues you might want to make sure that the cooling system is in order before you start replacing stuff.

That is just one of the many neat things about a f/2F they never overheat unless something is wrong (dig for the cruiser motor haters :flipoff2: )

Not trying to Hijack the thread. I just got my 63 stock radiator back from a check out, I had it checked since it has not ran for 20+ years and it flows real good, but it is really heavy (I was worried it was plugged since it was so heavy) But it check out fine. I would say it weighs almost twice what the one in my 69 40. Weird......

Mace said:
The stock motors cool just fine with a properly maintained stock radiator. If you have cooling issues you might want to make sure that the cooling system is in order before you start replacing stuff.

That is just one of the many neat things about a f/2F they never overheat unless something is wrong (dig for the cruiser motor haters :flipoff2: )

Very true. I spent alot of time and money tracking down the issue with a hot running SBC.

My stock rad was pretty gummed up and leaky, so I sprung for the BeCool. Works great, but kinda spendy. Petcock is in the wrong place.

Good luck.

I spent some time researching Be Cool and Griffin among others. The drop-in models were $500-600 and I ended up getting a "generic" Griffin at a local speed shop for $190. This had no mounting brackets. Required about 10 hrs of head scratching and fabricating but it works great. Also installed electric kicker fan. No problems with overheating the 350 at all.

ChuckD

dacicci said:
i would stisck with the stock one just make sure you geat a 4 row not a three, i run a four row in both of my 40s both have aftermarket carbs and one has dui ign and headers it runs cool as a cucumber on a stocker

Is there a huge difference between a 3 and 4 core? I'm not sure what I have now, don't know what to look for. But it's due for replacement soon, can't trust stop-leak for too long. Right now my truck cools fine, the stock gauge usually reads between the first line and dead center.

Update: this is apparently more pressing than I thought. A buddy just called from our parking lot. Huge puddle under my truck! It's a slow leak, I should at least be able to make the 50 mile drive home no problem as long as there's no traffic.

Last edited:
A four core radiator will offer more cooling, via more cooling tubes to radiate heat, and to allow for more fluid.

Good luck!

-Steve

More to better cooling than "more cores", or so I've been reading!

These good folks have some experience with cooling systems:
Jags That Run

Okie, I would stick with the stock radiator. Shortly after buying my Cruiser, the radiator developed a leak. I removed the radiator only to find that the PO had repaired with with JB Weld :mad:. With all the talk about aftermaked radiators, I looked seriously at the options only to decide to fix my steel radiator. The shop that I went to mentioned that most of the cheap brass or aluminum radiators out there are being made in places like Thailand (I guess they don't have an EPA to worry about).

As a rule aluminum radiators are more difficult to repair and, if you fix your stock one, it'll be as cool as new.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom