Be careful crossing water with a modified blue fan clutch and new fan (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I also have a modified clutch, changed out the fluid on a stock clutch. Same day, 3in lift 32.7in tires.

On a side note had a good time leading the tow rig to camp in the dark.

This leads me to think other issues or the new fan played a role, after watching all the drone footage, we all drove about the same speed with a couple of exceptions.

That was one wild ride getting towed without power steering, or brakes in the dark in a dust cloud, couldn't see 10 feet in front of me for 2 hours. Tony was the man for stepping up to pull me offroad for 30+ miles. My arms, back and legs are still getting cramps from the white knuckle ride.

SNIP

subsequently I realized tha Toyota changed the shape of that area in the fan shroud and I wondered why. Looks like it could be from radiator failures with water crossings

This is good news.

IIRC, didn't someone write up about how as the plastic in the fan blade ages, it gets brittle and can get crunchy in a water crossing? I recently R&R our fan blade assembly, but also installed a new fan shroud to replace the duct-taped one on the truck. So I can probably assume we also have the factory mod on the fan shroud as mentioned.

One of the places where I'd patched the old shroud was low on the left side. The patch was still holding when removed from the truck, but thought I'd mention that if a cracked shroud came in contact with the fan blades it could also cause some carnage in a water crossing.

Fan shroud was intact when the fan was installed last month, and the bottom is still intact. When removing it for a field repair it got a small crack at the top near the bolt. Either way I will source a replacement as it too is very brittle. So I do not suspect the fan shroud contributed to the failure, just a combination of modified clutch, new fan that is more flexible and deep water crossing combined with bad luck or Karma. We also theorized that maybe some debris got in there since I was third to cross. I did pull a couple of small strings of cat tail limbs off the steering stabilizer now that I think about it.

One of guys in the group, mentioned that some guys that cross a lot of water., cut the shroud in half, add rivets to the bottom with fabed up plates, bolts on top to make removing the shroud and fan easier, just 8 bolts, like 5 minutes. Seems like work at first, but easier than loosening that dam alternator bolt one click at a time.
I sense a Wits’ End product... @NLXTACY

That makes sense. I had the same issue with my SC fan clutch. The problem was two fold

the radiator was positioned slightly rearward and the blades would hit a curved section of the shroud and get pulled into the bottom of the radiator.

the solution was to move the radiator forward and remove some of that area in the fan shroud.

subsequently I realized tha Toyota changed the shape of that area in the fan shroud and I wondered why. Looks like it could be from radiator failures with water crossings
Changed when?

Not seating the fan shroud properly can also lead to the fan being pulling into the bottom of radiator.
Not seating properly in what way?

Fan shroud was intact when the fan was installed last month, and the bottom is still intact. When removing it for a field repair it got a small crack at the top near the bolt. Either way I will source a replacement as it too is very brittle. So I do not suspect the fan shroud contributed to the failure, just a combination of modified clutch, new fan that is more flexible and deep water crossing combined with bad luck or Karma. We also theorized that maybe some debris got in there since I was third to cross. I did pull a couple of small strings of cat tail limbs off the steering stabilizer now that I think about it.
If it’s the old style shroud it definitely contributed to the failure. The new style fan shroud allows the blades to flex more with out contacting the shroud and getting diverted into the radiator.

If it’s the old style shroud it definitely contributed to the failure. The new style fan shroud allows the blades to flex more with out contacting the shroud and getting diverted into the radiator.
How do you tell the old from the new? Just installed a modded clutch and am interested in this thread.

Happens more than most of yall think

I cross water all the time on a blue hub with thicker oil. don't rush in... if the fan broke it needed to be changed anyway...

below are the two shrouds that I know of. The one on the left is an original shroud and the one on the right is the current style you will now get. Looking at the shroud from this angle the fan rotates counterclockwise and as the fan blades flex and pull forward they contact the lower left corner of the opening in the front and catch on that area and get pulled into the radiator. If you compare that area of the new style with the original style you'll see they put a notch in there to eliminate the problem.

fan shroud.jpg

Last edited:
Plastic bends and its easy for the shroud to become slightly twisted. And if the lower tabs are not in the right place the shroud will move when you get in a stressed situation, like steep downhill. It might look great from the top. I cut the bottom cores on a new 4 core radiator on my first trip off-road shortly after I mis-installed the shroud. I hope this helps.

Sorry to hear, water crossings are not simple. Could have been, to Joey's point, that the belt on your truck was tight and didn't allow for slip. Other times the fan will sling water up and get the distributor wet and you end up with a full stop too. But a good practice is, if you can, block the front grill so water doesn't go direct through the radiator and into the fan. Often times a simple windbreaker jacket upfront is enough for this if you don't have a tarp. And don't stop in deep water, you loose the bow wave and get water all over.

And check your differentials and transfer case, water can get sucked in there too via the seals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom