BCOR 2019 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well we finally were able to attend one of these fancy "Overlanding" (Overlanding as defined by the Oxford dictionary = very expensive camping) rallys, this years being hosted in the Whistler Olympic Park. I've been waiting to go for a few years so I could check out some of the tear drop style trailers I'm interested in, as well as the cool rigs that show up at these events, and everyone else's various setups.

Aside from the weather, which was cold, damp, and rainy, the event was excellent. Very well organized with lots of activities to do over the 3 days. We arrived late on the Thursday night, a few minutes after the 8pm gate closure (which they are VERY strict on), but I managed to get through as the gate attendant let me in (thanks Rob). Becky on the other hand was not so lucky; she was 10 or 15 minutes ahead of me but missed the turn off and came up later, having to park the van in the overflow/late arrival parking lot where I picked her up after.

At the check in point I was asked if I wanted the "quiet area" or the "not so quiet area" (no designated party zone) and opted for the quiet area, where I found a spot beside Kris Wheeler. I should have scouted other areas, as this one looked decent (a gravel parking lot covered in straw), but was actually a little swampy. We made it work anyways, and began setting up for our stay; unpack the essentials from the m101 trailer, unfold the RTT, and set up the ground tent for the kids. As we were packing for the trip and looking at the weather report, we realized we did not have any kind of shelter from the rain. A 4H friend of Beckys let us use their large "Easy up" shelter, which along with our propane fire pit, proved to make things quite comfortable.

There was a raffle every night (missed the Thursday one) with some exceptional prizes, which got better every night. The interesting part of these raffles was no ticket sales; everyone was handed ONE ticket at the beginning of each raffle by one of the many volunteers. As there were 5 of us (both kids and one of their friends) we managed to score some prizes on both Friday and Saturday night; one being this very cool new concept in recovery gear of a "7P Overlanding recovery ring" (an aluminum donut for synthetic rope that replaces the standard snatch block. Very light and small).

The 4WDABC was hosting several trail runs each day, but we chose to stay on site and partake in some of the many various activities; advanced recovery seminar hosted by 7P overlanding and a tequila tasting by Adventure Trailer, were some of my highlights, While my oldest daughter enjoyed the daily Ukelele lessons by Dragontail tarps.

Activities

The tequila tasting (followed up by a fabulous sausage and sauerkraut dinner,with beer! supplied by Sprinter Vans) was very interesting as it also included some cocktail mixing lessons using a Traeger smoker to enhance the various additions to the cokctails (agave simple syrup and smoked oranges). This was all mixed up in one of the most handiest pieces of trail kit I have to add to "the collection"; the Stanley Adventure Stainless Steel Happy Hour Shaker
Amazon product ASIN B0159W9I3S

Last edited:
The venue itself I found to be quite nice. I never made it up to the ones at Hemlock/Sasquatch, but at the Whistler Olympic park there was a vast amount of room. There were 3 different camping areas, with one of the areas right below the ski jumps; 1 quiet and 2 not so quiet, a large vendor area, and the guest house was open 24/7 with washrooms, hot showers, restaurant and bar (bar and restaurant closed for the evenings though). A disc golf course was available as well for free use.
I neglected to take any pictures until the Saturday; I have them hosted here: BC Overland Rally 2019

I was finally able to see in person the "Off Grid" trailers that are at the top of list for when we eventually do pull the trigger. Damn nice units, very well built and outfitted.

Last edited:
After surviving the rains, I decided to splurge on a simple awning and picked up an Oztrail (with bonus wall/extension) from Matt at Kakadu. I'll try not to rip it off my rack on my future outings.
The Sunday was pretty quiet as the event was pretty much over, but at least the sun came out finally and we could pack up with that shining down.
The kids had a lot of fun and even asked if we are going again next year. I would like to see one of the similar events on the USA side, as they are apparently quite a bit larger, but more "peopley" as Matt liked to describe it. We headed for home for a quick rest, and then headed off to another adventure in Powell River with a stop at Ciarans "Creek Side Crossing" for a party. It was a pretty early night for us there as we had partied a little too hard the night before with a surprise early 50 birthday party for me.

Last edited:
I looked through the photos and was thinking what the heck this one lady is standing in front of a couple of these rigs like she owns them all, she must either be wealthy and own a few nice rigs, or just crazy and getting in your pictures. Then I thought, wait that must be Becky ;) opps. ha ha, makes sense now ;)

I looked through the photos and was thinking what the heck this one lady is standing in front of a couple of these rigs like she owns them all, she must either be wealthy and own a few nice rigs, or just crazy and getting in your pictures. Then I thought, wait that must be Becky ;) opps. ha ha, makes sense now ;)
It was to get some perspective on the tire size of those rigs; she's 5' tall

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom