BBCNN Pevine Run for October 2018 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
BBCNN 10/27/18 (Date open for discussion. 20th may be an option)

Trail: Pevine Mountian to 80 Loop

Trail Leader: Tony

Description: This trail is for all stock rigs and more comfortable with slightly modified rigs. Mostly Nevada fire roads with some ruts. Terrain is mostly desert with trees at the higher elevations. Views of Reno and Sierras are spectacular.

Date: Saturday, 10/27/2018

Leave Time: 9:00 am

Meeting Location: Maverick Gas Station near Robb Dr. exit --995 Ambassador Drive, Reno

Trail Difficulty: Mostly 1 with some 2 due to rocky sections or ruts and some uphills.

Duration of Run: Sat. about 5 hours. Bring lunch and extra food and water.

Tread Lightly / 146.460

We are all doomed if I'm leading the charge! :rofl: The route is a lot of fun with mild scenic rides most of the way but plenty of options to challenge both rig and driver. There's some spots that I'd rate 3-5 with some healthy pucker factor moments.

The trail head is at the "Las Brisas Staging Area" with lots of room to air down. It is about 10 mins from Maverick. Here's Directions in case you can't make the initial meeting time.

Here's the link to the GPX file from my last trip along the route and here is the GaiaGPS link. There will be a slight detour from the shared route as we enter Dog Valley at the end of the ride. The powers that be have closed the trail through Dog Valley East, so there is a slight detour through Dog Valley West. Probably 10-15 mins.

Meadow Valley and Dog Valley will be in full fall colors and should be gorgeous.

This is the original route I took a few months ago. You'll note a few bullhorns where I made some wrong turns. :doh:
full

That route dumps you out on paved roads in Verdi.

This is the detour through Dog Valley...
full

You can either continue on to I80 via Stampede and Boca or Head back to Verdi from the OHV area between the two arrows on the screen shot above. I will try to head out there to confirm trail availability before the club run and update info here.

Possibility of some good fall color by then. I think the soccer mom wagon can handle this. Barring the unforeseen, which has been happening with alarming regularity in my life, we are in.

Do you know anything about the closure? That looks like the usual route into where the Boy Scouts have their district camp-outs, and we have one coming up mid-october. There is a decent mud hole pretty close to where you mark it closed. Our troop has a history of breaking stuff in that general area :hillbilly:

Do you know anything about the closure? That looks like the usual route into where the Boy Scouts have their district camp-outs, and we have one coming up mid-october. There is a decent mud hole pretty close to where you mark it closed. Our troop has a history of breaking stuff in that general area :hillbilly:

I went through the closed section (I know, I know... trail advocate) :cautious: back in July because I was unaware of the closure and available detour and had a deadline to get back home. Anyway, the trail itself was heavily rutted but it might be closed for environ"mental" reasons. It may be open again, I haven't been over there for a few months. I'll head out there next weekend or the following the check things out and report back here.

Oh no! There are a few hairy obstacles along the route. I wouldn't bring anything that didn't have good ground clearance and at least 33" A/Ts. I Incurred some body damage on the worst of it.
The soccer mom wagon has 33's and sliders, and lockers. What were you driving when you got body damage?

Ha! I was driving my Beater Bronco. Just pinstripes mostly and some added... Character to the stock rear bumper that was already bent out of shape from a previous outing. :) Bad departure angles on both occasions.

I have a player steel bumper on the way now!

Do your Scouts camp at Dog Valley Campground? if so, it is further west than the the closure and even the detour I am planning. You should be fine. I am planning on heading out there to drive the detour on the 13th. I'll take a photo of the closure notice if it is still up and and post it here. Sound good @DesertLake ?

full

Thanks! They camp something less than a mile to the northeast of where you marked it closed on post#2. The detour works, I just want to make sure they know about it.

Last edited:
Neat... could be a possibility just depends on what we got going on. Next few weeks for us are super busy, weekends that is, but think it calms down after the 20th.

Think my truck with 31s could make it? Or are you thinking 33s are a must? Hopefully BeBe will be in new paint this weekend so that would be a good time to get the hebby jebbies from door dings and whatnot out with a few NV Pinstripes.

Neat... could be a possibility just depends on what we got going on. Next few weeks for us are super busy, weekends that is, but think it calms down after the 20th.

Think my truck with 31s could make it? Or are you thinking 33s are a must? Hopefully BeBe will be in new paint this weekend so that would be a good time to get the hebby jebbies from door dings and whatnot out with a few NV Pinstripes.

My Bronco has 31" Firestone A/Ts, so your 60 should do great, There was only one spot that gave me problems and that was a departure angle thing, like I had on the Petroglyphs run coming out of that creek bed. So 33+ might save a bumper bash, but your 60 might have better departure angles than my old Bronco... Or you might be better at picking lines than I am! :hmm:

I took a drive into Dog Valley via Verdi to see how the last leg of the trails looked. The main path through Dog Valley East is open.

full

That is the entry into Dog Valley from the North where the road block was posted in July.

full

It is quite pretty out there and I would guess that Meadow Valley will be even prettier with all the birch trees. I think it'll be a fun trek!

I headed up most of the way through the detour path I outlined in a previous post and it too is open and a little more worn than Dog Valley East and traverses forest rather than meadow. I was alone in my daily driver and the trail started looking a little more than I'd want to attempt without backup, so I cannot vouch for about mins of the trail. However, it will probably be a little more fun and will only extend the run by 20 mins or so.

I am out... Being that it is NV Day and all we end up hosting people at our house and meeting up with family and whatnot to play at the parade. Salon may be participating (not sure yet) but regardless we will be down there with all the other crazies.

Might be a fun thing next year to enter the parade and present the varying variety of cruisers!

I am out... Being that it is NV Day and all we end up hosting people at our house and meeting up with family and whatnot to play at the parade. Salon may be participating (not sure yet) but regardless we will be down there with all the other crazies.

Might be a fun thing next year to enter the parade and present the varying variety of cruisers!

OR... Permaybehaps you're afraid of scratching up that pretty new paint? ;) A parade would be fun!

YEP, looking forward to it. Got the clutch hydraulics replaced on the Cruiser and the weather should be decent. A little chilly in the morning:skull:. Might spring for a hot cocoa at Mavericks.
Tony, will you be running the Bronco or your welcome to ride with me? But we need your navigation skills since I have never been on this one. If you need some help I can run the trans. Jack up to you and help on Friday.

Wow... mud just posted my response three times. I deleted one of the copies and it deleted them all... :cautious:

I am planning on taking the Bronco. I have the bumper mounted, minus the additional frame brackets. It is held on by six 5/8" stage 8 bolts. I hope that'll be enough for now. I suspect the additional supports are needed for when the dual swingouts are installed, which I do not currently have.

The only thing that would slow me down is the stuff with my daughter. She may or may not discharge from the hospital tomorrow or Friday. If she does, then that will cut deep into my time to complete the bronco. I'll keep you posted Mark.

If anyone is interested in how I am doing the Lizard Skin, I have posted my progress here... Beater (Budget) Bronco Stuff