BBC Top Gear Chile Bolivia Special (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
We (me from Antofaya Expeditions, Bob & Karl from Wildtrackers, Mark from Metaltech) had great time last October working with BBC Top Gear team on the upcoming Chile Bolivia Special. It was great to help these guys to accomplish their crazy ideas in the field in these spectacular landscapes. It is going to be a road movie about three cars (Land Cruiser, Range Rover and Suzuki) and their drivers starting their journey deep in Bolivian Amazon jungle, crossing the high Andes and Altiplano at 17,000ft, driving trough the driest of all deserts - the Atacama and finishing at Chilean Pacific coast. Some photos below. The show is going to air tomorrow (December 27th, 2009) around the world for millions of avid watchers. Enjoy guys.

Jarek.
IMGP8759ih.jpg
IMGP8820ih.jpg

Last edited:
We (me from Antofaya Expeditions, Bob & Karl from Wildtrackers, Mark from Metaltech) had great time last October working with BBC Top Gear team on the upcoming Chile Bolivia Special. It was great to help these guys to accomplish their crazy ideas in the field in these spectacular landscapes. It is going to be a road movie about three cars (Land Cruiser, Range Rover and Suzuki) and their drivers starting their journey deep in Bolivian Amazon jungle, crossing the high Andes and Altiplano at 17,000ft, driving trough the driest of all deserts - the Atacama and finishing at Chilean Pacific coast. Some photos below. The show is going to air tomorrow (December 27th, 2009) around the world for millions of avid watchers. Enjoy guys.

Jarek.

Hi Jarek,

Just finished watching the Top Gear Bolivia / Chile Special in HD (downloaded from a torrent site TheBox.bz in the UK). Looks like everyone had a great time. Man, I need to get my expedition truck finished.

Do you have any more inside insights into the behind the scenes stuff? I'd be interested in a list of the mods made to the 40, just out of curiosity.

Cheers.

Jim in Canada

Just watched it last night too. I always like their travel specials. Any insight as to whether some of their "difficulties" are staged? Where Jeremy goes around that landcruiser at that water fall area looked a little too perfect.

Jarek.

I was also apart of it Jarek ;) I did ride with you down in Iquique running around looking for a clutch slave cylinder for the FJ40.

I was also apart of it Jarek ;) I did ride with you down in Iquique running around looking for a clutch slave cylinder for the FJ40.

And of course Travis aka LT. How could I forget. You guys should see him fixing the cars in the field in Putre at Chilean Altiplano at 12,000ft in the night when everybody else went to bed after a day of hard work. It was an adventure indeed.

The LC was OME lifted, split rims were mounted with over-sized tires, winch bullbar with a winch was mounted, roll cage with off-road lights was added too. The mods were chosen both for safety and looks as TV is a visual thing, isn't it? I am sure Travis LT would be much better than me at explaining the technical details of the mods as this was him along with Bob & Karl from Wildtrackers who actually installed all of it.

And I will answer Packer doubts with a question itself. Is Top Gear a documentary series? It is definitely fun to watch.

Jarek.

youtube

you can catch the episodes on youtube as well, theirs about 8 individual 10 minute videos.

Hi Jarek,
We are driving to Iquique from La Paz in a few days... It would be fun to meet up and share a coffee or something similar...

Wow.
Do you guys have any more info? Was it tough to watch the staged demolition of the 40 @ the end of the special?

We have tons of pictures and stories to go with the entire episode but we are going to keep it under wraps till we write a magazine article for it.

Jarek, do you have any additional photos that you could send me?

Great show, I had time to download the youtube videos... And now that we are in Iquique, I can see where they have come down... Makes me want to try it as well in our old BJ45. Seeing the whole Dakar 2010 event come down the same hill...

19173_243046563542_55756113542_3254030_7429482_n.jpg

19173_243046583542_55756113542_3254031_595337_n.jpg

more Dakar images on my Oypo server or on the Facebook fan page.

Adventurous greetings,
Coen

19173_243046563542_55756113542_3254030_7429482_n.jpg

Adventurous greetings,
Coen

When will you be back to show a little about your journey at the Buschtaxi Meeting?
Wann seit ihr wieder da um auf dem Buschtaxi-Treffen einen Reisebericht abzuliefern? :popcorn:;)

Gute Reise noch!!

Great program! Great job of condensing the trip of a lifetime down into a bit more than an hour.

I'd love to do the Atacama portion of the trip...dont think I could handle the jungle portion. I wish I could have done some sort of desert-landcruiser trip when I was there, instead I was stuck on a large bus :doh:

Did I miss the part in the video where they used the long rubber hose that's shown coming out of the Rover in post#1?

Corey

Hi Peter,

We would love to come and talk and see all the Landcruisers at the Buschtaxi meeting, but I see that they are in september. If you can schedule them in May, we will be there... You can read our colomn in the AutoBild Allrad magazine every month in Germany though...

BTW do you remember this car?

Adventurous greetings,
Coen

Just saw the episode last night... righteous :cool:

I originally missed it but a bunch of people mentioned to me there was an LC in an episode of Top Gear and obviously those things together couldn't be missed.

LT- are you still planning on publishing a story in a magazine at some point. If so, what magazine and what issue, I would like to pick up a copy. Otherwise, can you share your pics and story of working with the Top Gear guys?!

just got done watching the episode on the dvr- i know where i am going on my next holiday (only in my dreams)! I agree, Topgear travel specials are the best :clap: and I knew it was just a matter of time until they put a 40 through something epic. The best part was getting on mud to discover that some of you were really on the inside track- those behind the scene photos are fantastic :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom