For Sale Bay Area: Clean White 96, 188k, Dialed 3in Lift, 35", No Lockers, Lots of Maint (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 80 Series
Mileage
Color
white
Hi Everyone,

Never thought I would sell my Land Cruiser but moving across the country and may be easier at this point. Overall, this is a very clean, rust-free, well-maintained cruiser with tons of ih8mud-approved work done. Won't have to do much if any baselining. Purchased in 2003 by my parents. I was in the 8th grade at the time. The title was transferred to me in college and I've had it through college, grad school and the years since. Recently moved from Seattle to Bay Area and the cruiser has mostly been sitting in the garage. I have a Washington State title and have not smogged or registered it in California. Now need to move again and moving it during a pandemic will be a big expensive hassle. Hoping I can find a good home for it and get some cash for our move. Disclosure: it does have P0420 for catalytic system (more info below) but have 2x Denso (OEM) oxygen sensors with purchase.

The Good:
-3in Tough Dog lift that is done right, level and dialed in. 4" Delta front arms. Sway bar spacers. Delta 3" Panhard lift bracket. Caster at 2.7deg. No vibrations and tracks straight. 5 Brand new BFG AT 316/75/16 purchased fall, 2019. About $6k in mods/labor done within the last year and less than 1k miles on it since.
-Drivetrain in excellent condition. No rust. HG (with all the extras), aluminum radiator, blue fan clutch w/20k, hoses, alternator, starter, front/rear axle service all done in last 30k miles. All synthetic fluids. Motor runs great. A bunch of recent work done by TorFab.
-Interior is in very good condition. Front seats professionally replaced with 2 tone vinyl. No major tears, stains, cracks, bad smells, etc. No leaks from sunroof or any windows that I know of. Wheelskins steering wheel cover.
-Paint is in pretty good shape for white color (no clear coat). Some chips and oxidation present but nothing major.
-Custom professional stealth sound system. Pioneer double DIN headunit, speakers with stealth/OEM grill install, 10" JL sub with matched carpet enclosure and hidden amp mounted in passenger rear fender. Best sound system I've had in a car and very well hidden.
-Front ARB bullbar with LED driving lights.
-Wired for CB radio to rear labrak mount
-OEM hand throttle
-CDL and pin7 mod
-Trailer hitch with beefy bike mount for 4 large/heavy bikes (great for west coast mt biking)
-Slee headlight harness
-Extra parts and knick-knacks I've accumulated over 10+ years

The Bad:
-P0420 --> has had it since at least 2010. Never caused problems, have just cleared it with scantool. Passed smog in WA but haven't tried in CA and now can't due to pandemic waitlist. Replaced cats in 2010 but didn't fix it. Have new O2 sensors but haven't gotten around to replacing them. No exhaust, intake, or recirculation system leaks that I can find.
-Front passenger seat switch doesn't work (the gear works but not the switch)
-Windows slow, likely need new runs
-Front windshield spray nozzles don't work. Not sure if clogged or broken pump.
-Rear main seal leaks a drop of motor oil every few days. The front is dry at least.

I have most of the work/parts receipts since 2003. A very brief summary of major mods/maintenance in reverse chronological order:
-All Mobil fluids (gear oil x3, transmission, PS, motor). Oil Changed at least annually with toyota or mobil filters. Last oil change November, 2019. Belts done spring, 2019. New Alternator Jan, 2019.
-Major work done at Torfab July, 2019 (phh, LSPV, brakes bled, AC overhaul, U joints, Rear axle service, Exhaust work). Lift, suspension installed and new BFG 315 tires.
-Maint done at Torfab 9/2017. EGR delete, rear hatch rust spots treated and new window gasket. New Front windshield and gasket (due to large crack).
-Major brake work done at Pacific Rim in Seattle in 2017 at 180k. Pads, rotors, calipers, master cylinder, bleed.
-Major work done by me spring, 2014 at 175k. Complete front axle rebuild (new spindles, all new hardware, etc)
-Major work done by me spring, 2012 at 168k. All front oil leaks taken care of (dizzy, oil pump cover, front main), new aluminum dual core radiator, most of the coolant and recirc hoses, starter rebuild, 20k fluid in refurb'd blue fan clutch.
-Head Gasket blew in 2010 at 155k. Cylinder head, throttle body, injectors, etc. Engine essentially rebuilt.
-PS pump replaced 2008 at 149k
-Many more receipts and records going back to 2003 but will avoid posting it all.

ASKING $15K.

IMG_0038.jpeg

IMG_0037.jpeg

IMG_0287.jpeg

IMG_0091.jpeg

IMG_0125.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi everyone, quick update. Have received some interest from a few buyers but after learning more about smogging and registering in CA, I want to have a pro diagnose the P0420 to make sure there are no major surprises and potentially fix to take that variable out of the equation. Dropped it off at a local mud-recommended shop and should get it back in a day or two. Felt like the right thing to do. Thanks for understanding!

The EGR delete was what caught my attention, as a CA resident. Interested to hear what you come back with.

If this rig can pass SMOG and be registered in CA, I'm definitely interested, also local to you.

hmmm this would be considered classic in tx and won't even need to worry about the emissions delete. Just needs to pass safety check

Looks like we're waiting on a smog update from the shop (A Plus?) but also PM'ed ya!

Has anyone heard anything about this? Was having a dialogue here but then fell off wo any communication.

I've sent a few PMs with no response. OP is moving cross-country so maybe this has something to do with it(?)

Hi everyone, sorry for the very late reply. Been under water with work, preparing for move and had some minor health issues crop up to boot. To provide an update, I took the truck to a reputable shop (A+) and recommended replacing the cats and both O2 sensors. I also had them do a full "buying inspection" and found no new issues. Overall, they said its one of the more well-kept 80's they've had in a long time. As I said previously, I have both OEM sensors and replaced the cats with a single magnaflow unit in 2010. The only thing I can come up with in reviewing the old record is I think it was the wrong cat and is inefficient for this application hence the smog code. The cat I have looks different than other exhaust repair threads I found on mud. Again, there is also the deleted EGR issue.

Anyway, to fix all the smog stuff would be 1000-1500 at a shop, and I remain leery about selling with a WA title and given the legal smog issues for a seller in CA. In addition, I was able to get a quote to ship the truck to TX for $800 where smog won't really matter. So overall, I'm leaning hard towards keeping the truck for the time being and letting the dust settle after the move. I may still be enticed to sell for the right price and buyer, and will be contacting some people individually to followup and close the loop either way. Sorry again about the delay and happy to answer any other questions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom