Battery? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Im putting a warn 8274-50 and some 130 watt offroad lights on my 40. Im wondering what the best battery is for a setup like this, and will i need a better alternator?

Thanks

Just get an optima yellow top, there pretty much the best for everything. im not sure about the alternator, im running one from an 85 ford pickup that works for me just fine. and im running 6 hilights and a winch.

I just put an 8274 on mine, and went with a Sears Diehard Platinum (re-badged Odyssey).

I'm running a yellow top and changed the alt to a 140 amp delco. for pretty much the same set up you described.

i don't know if it was the age but my stock atl craped out pretty quickly when i put those light on and winch.

ih8optima

had 3 and all went to pot, never buy own again.

sorry to here but you might want to have your regulater checked if your having that many poblems.

ive had my yellow top in my truck for five yaers now with out an issue. and none of my buddies have had any ether.

I just put an 8274 on mine, and went with a Sears Diehard Platinum (re-badged Odyssey).

Yep. I installed a group 31(?) in my Land Cruiser. Killer battery.

Dual optimas, never again. Died a rather sudden death and left the truck stranded. Trying the Diehard Platinums next.

I went with the Napa optima copy. Love it! I've had it for five years and it never even blinks, even in the coldest winters. I have completely drained a couple of times, once when trying to make it home when my alternator seized. I recommend it.

Thanks for the info guys

I'm running a yellow top and changed the alt to a 140 amp delco. for pretty much the same set up you described.

i don't know if it was the age but my stock atl craped out pretty quickly when i put those light on and winch.

ih8optima

had 3 and all went to pot, never buy own again.

sorry to here but you might want to have your regulater checked if your having that many poblems.

ive had my yellow top in my truck for five yaers now with out an issue. and none of my buddies have had any ether.

Dual optimas, never again. Died a rather sudden death and left the truck stranded. Trying the Diehard Platinums next.

3 Yellow tops have also sh*t to bed on me. 2 in a 40 and one in an 03 Runner. Never again.

Oh, throw a red into that mix as well.

From now on, it's Wally World batterys all the way for me.

I bought an awesome Interstate battery from one of the truck shops (big rig shop). It was only 950 CCA (cold cranking amps) but 185 minute reserve capacity (standard to estimate how long your truck will run without alternator). On a couple of occasions I forgot the lights on for 3-4 hours... and then just turned the key to start it.

I noticed a real improvement in winch speed. I ran 400 w of halogen headlights on the stock 50 or 55 amp alternator with this setup. With the marker lights on the alternator wasn't quite able to keep up. If I was running all the lights all night long it would be a problem. It was good for a few hours of running at a time.

A higher Amp alternator would be good but it's not necessary.

Last edited:
I went into a battery store a few months ago and asked about optima batteries. i was told that they no longer carried them because in the past few years (not sure how many) optima has changed manufacturers and is no longer anywhere near the same quality that they used to be. i wont waste money on an optima battery but try a gel type from any other company

We've got the same group 31 Diehard Platinum that pappy has in the 3B powered 40. I have yet to hook the alternator up, so it can only charge if I plug the charger in. I can start that little diesel 10 times at least before it's even down to 80% capacity.

I've never been excited about a battery before. But the group 31M Diehard Platinum is the coolest thing ever.

Dan

Another vote for the Die Hard Platinum's. Got 2 Group 65 in my FJ62 and 2 Group 65 in my Excursion and a Group 31 in my Correct Craft. Still have one of the 2 group 34 blue top optima's still working as a second battery in my pontoon. Have a Odyssey original group 34 in my FJ40, loaned from my little BMW while it is behind the wall for repairs. The original Odysseys are identical except for color, badge and about $40 more than the DH Platinum of the same group

I would install a DH Platinum Group 31 in anything you could shoehorn it into. The bigger physical size the better so go down step by step until you got one that will fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom