Battery up grade. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

raincityrider

Go'n Fast and Take'n Chances Since the 70's
SILVER Star
Threads
I have been noodling on battery options. I'm thinking I want to start with a single Battery System. I have a trailer that has its own battery, the electrical there will be its own thread, and that will run my fridge and other things. There is lots of info and it seems quite a few opinions;). I'm starting with the basics.

What type of battery?

1) I was thinking maybe a group 31 AGM. But it sounds like there maybe be some charging system issues and you should really have your truck on a tender to optimize the performance with this set up. And temp issues mounting in Factory location.

2) I'm leaning towards a standard (flooded) Battery. This is the type that comes with the truck so that makes sense. But it is a bit difficult to find a group 31 flooded battery. I found this DEKA battery @ West Marine & this one @ Oreillys. Thoughts?

I'm looking for ease and reliability.

I have been noodling on battery options. I'm thinking I want to start with a single Battery System. I have a trailer that has its own battery, the electrical there will be its own thread, and that will run my fridge and other things. There is lots of info and it seems quite a few opinions;). I'm starting with the basics.

What type of battery?

1) I was thinking maybe a group 31 AGM. But it sounds like there maybe be some charging system issues and you should really have your truck on a tender to optimize the performance with this set up. And temp issues mounting in Factory location.

2) I'm leaning towards a standard (flooded) Battery. This is the type that comes with the truck so that makes sense. But it is a bit difficult to find a group 31 flooded battery. I found this DEKA battery @ West Marine & this one @ Oreillys. Thoughts?

I'm looking for ease and reliability.
Not sure about up in your area but if you have an International truck dealer close by they usually have flooded Group 31's for about $80 with 975 CCA that are used in many medium delivery trucks. :grinpimp:

Not sure about up in your area but if you have an International truck dealer close by they usually have flooded Group 31's for about $80 with 975 CCA that are used in many medium delivery trucks. :grinpimp:
Sweet! I'm in Seattle I might be able to find one.

In my experience (30 years w my old cruiser) batteries don't last long if you use them hard just a couple times. That includes all types.
The conclusion I came to was get a flooded battery that properly fits the battery tray (same size as original) and don't go crazy trying to find the "best" battery. It's better to have an easy to replace mid tier battery from a common supplier than some super expensive rare thing. Also it's important that the battery isn't too heavy. Oversizing a battery can result in a battery you physically can't lift out of the engine bay easily.
I used a fridge for several months long camp trips. Unless you're driving every day, the only way to keep your volts up is to get a solar panel.
With a solar panel (4A or more) it doesn't matter what battery you've got

The conclusion I came to was get a flooded battery that properly fits the battery tray (same size as original) and don't go crazy trying to find the "best" battery. It's better to have an easy to replace mid tier battery from a common supplier than some super expensive rare thing.

But if your cheap battery craps the bed you might die, only kidding I couldn't agree with what you said more...

I have a simple dual battery setup and I just ran my fridge for 2.5 days without starting my truck off my Duralast industrial Marie battery and didn't have any issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom