Battery Terminal Help/Possible Solutions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey All,

Have a 2017 with the Slee battery tray and connectors, but lately I have had issues where the vehicle is either completely dead with no power, or when I go to start the vehicle it instantly dies and goes completely dead again.

At first I removed the negative terminal and cleaned it. Worked for a couple weeks and started acting up again. Decided to go out and buy a generic terminal, but the issue is that the negative wire from the vehicle is too short to attach to the terminal extender. Went out and bout a 4 gauge battery wire to extend but I want something cleaner.

After I installed the generic terminal made of zinc and got the wire extended, I started the vehicle and lost power again. Checked the positive side and I think the issue is with the lead military style connectors. Was able to clean it and the vehicle is working again, but who knows for how long.

Searched the forum but didn't come up with any real solutions.

As you can see in the pictures below:
-The lead military style connector is just beat. Lots of arching either caused it to lose its connectivity?
-Red circle and "too short" note shows where my negative wire is cannot reach the new generic terminal.
-Green circle is the Slee extender that I am looking to replace with something that can go to the generic terminal.

Or any other possibly solution. Saw Slee has new terminals on their website, but not sure if they will work on my battery per the note highlighted in blue. Plus they are a pretty penny compared to other possible options.

Thanks for all the help!
69490579903__A08D3F09-978E-49B5-A9AC-9956039C4F17.jpg
IMG_0779.jpg
IMG_0783.jpg
IMG_0784.jpg
IMG_0785.jpg

I am using a quick disconnect to extend the stock terminals over for a group 31 battery. Works great and good utility as well. There are various options for both stud and post.
Amazon product ASIN B07MTZ8LR6

The lead Mil style connector is generic - you can replace it which should give you a good connection.
They get abused and since they are lead, deform easily.

and they are fitted for positive and negative sides... (the battery terminals are slightly different diameters FYI)..

Amazon product ASIN B07JJKVHD1

I’ve had the same issue with the non start.

I changed to this.

I did the same (went with SDHQ). At the time, Slee didn't have their billet terminals, so good to have other options now. I initially got new lead terminals and tried to make the Slee extensions work, but I continued to have issues.

Last edited:
Here is an inexpensive billet option. I have a set that I was going to use for my aux battery, and they're well made.

By the way, I had the original Slee terminals and ditched them. I lucked into a set of their upgraded billet terminals on Facebook for a deal and switched over to them. I've read about too many issues with the old ones. The Slee billet ones are a work of art, although not inexpensive...

I am using a quick disconnect to extend the stock terminals over for a group 31 battery. Works great and good utility as well. There are various options for both stud and post.
Amazon product ASIN B07MTZ8LR6
I use these on my home generator battery. Depending on how they are hooked up, they can provide a very convenient way to temporarily disconnect the battery.

Thanks everyone. Just went ahead and ordered the new SLEE style connectoras.

How will you deal with the extra posts on your battery? Did you determine that there isn't going to be interference with the Slee terminals?

How will you deal with the extra posts on your battery? Did you determine that there isn't going to be interference with the Slee terminals?
I think there will be enough room….hopefully

I’ve had the same issue with the non start.

I changed to this.

i just ordered the same. I have stock size batter in factory location

So like I mentioned I went with the Slee Billit terminals. They are definitely a quality product. Did have to saw off the marine connectors, but haven’t had a single hiccup since.

I have been dealing with this problem since 2016 (when I installed the original Slee battery upgrade kit.
At first I thought it was bad batteries. I was using Optima at the time and blamed their short lifespans on declining quality overall. When the second died I switched to Interstate. That one was short lived and replaced under warranty, but now I was very suspicious.
The military terminals are difficult to get tight and I first thought it was a poor connection there. I replaced them and ensured they were wicked tight.
Still problems.
I disassembled everything and noticed the corrosion on the aluminum extension that others have mentioned as well. I cleaned, sanded surfaces smooth and greased everything while making sure all was tight and secure. It worked....for a bit. It seems that every time I am out of town the car will start having electrical problems related to these aluminum bars. My wife and kids are accustomed to it now.
It has made me realize that this constant degrading battery connection tat requires constant maintenance has likely caused poor battery recharging leading to at least 3 early deaths of expensive batteries.
Last night the connection went bad again and the cruiser limped home.
I realized, finally, that the aluminum connection is where the problem is. I introduced it thinking it was a robust upgrade. The fact that it was expensive and heavy duty discouraged me from blaming it for the problems.
I almost bought the new Slee billet terminals, but I hesitate due to the price.
I am already in $120 for the original "upgrade" kit +cost of prematurely killed batteries. Adding another $150 to the pile seems a bit much.

I am going to try a refit again using some brass washers to separate the dissimilar metals.

I luckily got mine new never installed on facebook, but I can say without hesitation that the new Slee billlet terminals are a massive upgrade. I am glad I moved from the original ones to these.

Whether they are worth the money is a very personal decision. For an individual spending $1500+ to build a dual battery system, they are probably worth speccing in for the peace of mind they introduce to a somewhat complicated auxiliary electrical installation. It isn't the best place to cut corners, IMO.

In your case, preventing breakdowns on every trip seems like a valuable ROI.

Weird. My Slee tray and connectors have been installed for almost 5 years now, not one single issue. Still look like new.
IMG_20180426_235919.jpg

The yellow tint is a "Battery Protector" spray that I always use on battery connections after tightening everything down. This stuff:

Amazon product ASIN B008VLBKD6

Weird....and annoying. I use NOCO NCP2 corrosion preventative on all my vehicles. I was starting to think it was the difference between Arizona and Massachusetts, but I see you are in NH and have no problems. It doesn't help that the LC seems to be very sensitive to the slightest voltage drops.
Bottom line, I am getting constant corrosion/oxide buildup at the aluminum bar that is causing resistance, even though it isn't visible until I disassemble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom