battery swap gone BAD! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

kim

Threads
I swapped my batteries this morning and fired my truck up as per normal, everything was fine, running normally for about 3-4 seconds, when the motor started to stutter. It turns out that the EDIC arm is engaging and disengaging, constantly. I disconnected the power, reconnect it and the EDIC arm engages and disengages.

Further, I notice that when I connect the power and the EDIC does it's thing, I see sparking on the throttle cable where it is mounted to the firewall. That's bizzarre as there is no electronics attached to that. Also, there seems to be an innordinate amount of juice being drawn from the battery, welding action when I connect the post now.

Any ideas?

I swapped my batteries this morning and fired my truck up as per normal, everything was fine, running normally for about 3-4 seconds, when the motor started to stutter. It turns out that the EDIC arm is engaging and disengaging, constantly. I disconnected the power, reconnect it and the EDIC arm engages and disengages.

Further, I notice that when I connect the power and the EDIC does it's thing, I see sparking on the throttle cable where it is mounted to the firewall. That's bizzarre as there is no electronics attached to that. Also, there seems to be an innordinate amount of juice being drawn from the battery, welding action when I connect the post now.

Any ideas?

sounds bad. I think you have a major short somewhere, and most likely it is connected to you changing the battery. look at the battery cables, chances are the positive one is frayed somewhere.
The edic doing it's thing means the edic relay (under the passenger kick panel) is getting wrong input, probably through the short.
j

Thanks Jan.

It turned out to be a bad ground between the engine and body. I definitely learned the importance of ground today. It still strikes me as odd to see sparking on the throttle cable mount to the firewall.

I guess it was partially grounding there.

If is only a electric gremlin, check the V in the EDIC relay on the kick panel .. a forget to say, also check V and amps in your V regulator .. sometimes good bats are bad :eek: to V regulator box.

Thanks Jan.

It turned out to be a bad ground between the engine and body. I definitely learned the importance of ground today. It still strikes me as odd to see sparking on the throttle cable mount to the firewall.

I guess it was partially grounding there.

Bad ground to the engine will do that, as the throttle cable becomes ground for the entire engine (a lot of juice).

In Norway, there was a guy with a Land Roved defender (surprise, surprise) that could'nt get his engine to throttle down (a problem in city traffic) Turned out the main, LUCAS made ground had failed, and he throttle cable was the only ground for the engine. This had melted the cable "insulation" (what's he word in english?) seezing up the throttle.

Another Defender had its powerline to the starter (always power, heawy gauge wire) snap off and ground out on a nearby brake line in traffic. Result: Boiling brake fluid, molten robber seals and no brakes.

Make sure your grounds are good...

Last edited:
I had a similar problem on my 40: the battery tie down shorted out on the positive terminal of the battery, which then shorted out via the brake line

End result was burning brake fluid under the hood (and no brakes)

I was very very fortunate that I pulled over right next to a guy who had a bucket full of water (he was washing his car) so we dumped that onto the small fire, then popped the hood and hosed it down

big mess... but at least the whole 40 didn't burn down

I carry a fire extinguisher all the time now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom