Battery Relocation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
We have four diesel 81's in operation here in the hills. They work hard and the roads are shocking. As a result of the constant pounding they get the battery mounts in the front corners (all are twin battery 24v start) have collapsed from the weight of the battery's and literally torn the front fenders away from their mounts tearing the fender bodywork and the panels behind the headlights. The stupid original battery clamps don't help as they loosen up with the beating and the battery bounces around multiplying the damage. We keep welding bits in but it doesn't solve the problem.
Question is, has anyone managed to relocate the battery's closer to the firewall without moving too much stuff around or placed them in the boot/trunk and run longer cables forward? Or any other solution?

Cheers from Tanzania
Steve

Steve, you literally live in a different world than most of us.

Steve there is nothing between the firewall and battery. Anyway it sounds like it's the bouncing around that's causing the problem. I hear you on the battery clamps. Got any pics?

There theoretically is space for one 70 Ah battery behind the airbox, but i can't recommend this place for a starter since the space is very limited heightwise (~20cm) and the mounts are not optimal. Got myself some breakage there (aux batt) , because the inner fenders were to weak for the first tray i had mounted partially to them. Inside the cabin you always have the problem with gasing batteries, but you could run thick wires through the corner behind the airbox and through the center console. No idea how much power you loose in the long cables when starting and recharging. And above all you start messing around with new trays, where to mount them etc. while you could do the same in the designated spot.

For a workhorse I would probably try to find some really sturdy aftermarket trays for the front or make some up that have proper hold-downs that screw into the tray and not to some plastic wall or body. And probably i would think about an additional footclamp (hook on one side and clamp on the other) so that the battery can't move in the slightest way.

Maybe the plastic tubs don't even have to go, if you make/find something for inside them that uses the same screws.

Good luck!

Thanks guys, yes @REKCUT, we do live in a wild part of town. Sorry for the slow reply, just got back from Zambia and Zimbabwe.
@ jonheld, I was thinking of something in this direction, just need to get the wings nice and solid again to accept the weight.
@per, I've had my guys start fabricating something solid out of old tread-plate. I'll find a solution somehow.

I'll post up some pics soon.

Cheers

Steve

I built my own mounts, but it bolts into 3 factory holes on the sheet metal. I would disperse the battery load(weight) and try to get something that bolts to the frame and sheetmetal. But a battery box for your type of battery, mock it in where you want it and figure out what material you want to support it. Mine took me an hour, but i fabricate quite often, but is a single battery.

Ive never seen sheet metal take abuse for forever with a battery box, so getting some real material to the frame is important.

I tied mine right into the frame

20190125_171542_resized.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: RFB
Sory about the first pic, I thought it was deleted/ now it is :cool:

Last edited:
Once you get the battery mount sorted out perhaps some softer shocks and air down the tires a bit.... Sounds like a brutal way to drive around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom