Battery Recommendation? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

JKS

Threads
:confused: I need a battery for my '77 FJ-40. Seeking your recommendations (other than an Optima red top - I got horrible service out of that thing). If you've had good luck with your battery, please let me know!

Thanks!

costco, cheap and you can return it for cash no questions asked. i just got the biggest one i could fit in there.

I dropped a Exide Orbital (from NAPA cause they were the cheapest). It has been in there a couple of years now and been really good, through some tough weather and dumb things.

Got mine from advance auto parts because they did so well with consumer reports: Tititium by autocraft. I have also gotten good luck with the interstate batteries.

Excide Orbitals, that all I run now, well beside 3 Odyseys but those were because of special needs.

I know you said no optima red top, but I just bought one Saturday at Sams for $101 and it has a full replacement 3 year warranty and then begins to prorate after the 3 yrs. How long did yours last?

I run the orbitals too, seem like they are almost better than the optimas as well as a former optima owner. Very very powerful batteries that can really take a beating, literally, and chargewise. I have run my stereo for close to a week on two of them and the cruiser still starts right up...

;p THANKS for all the responses... To answer GreenFJ40, I only got about 3 months out of the red top... Charged it up 3 times, it didn't hold. Camcruiser13, I bought the Optima at Costco, and the return was NO problem - great customer service policy. I can't find my Cruiser listed in ANYBODY'S application tables anywhere (too old, I guess), but I suppose if I get a BIG one of anything it ought to work.

You've given me about 5 or so (including the "big and yellow" one) so I've at least got a good starting point. Thanks again for your posts!

There was a thread about this some time ago with many people explaing why red tops suck. Wont hold charge for instance. Basically just cannot rely on them.
However a couple of joes stated the ptima green tops(Marine grade) performed very well/very reliably.

I would have to say green but you need more green

It's interesting that you are asking. Consumer Reports did a test on numerous batteries in the latest issue. In size 65 the NAPA 84 Select 8465 came out on top. In a 75 size the AC Delco came out on top. Check out the mag at the library for some good information. I'm not exactly sure what size we use in our 40s though.

I bought my 77 fj40 3 1/2 years ago. It had a redtop optima in it, and is still working just fine. Don't know how long PO had it in, but I've never had any problems with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom