Battery of choice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

good connections and good cables are helpful.
anything with 650-800 CCA should be adequate.

X2 Power & Oddysey
Group 27M & 31M

so what is the preferred battery of choice for your FJ?
Cranking amps, etc...
I bought a new one with 650 CA and it doesn’t seem to be enough.
Not enough in what way? 650 ca is adequate but maybe there is something wrong with the batt. Could have a bad cell. Have you done a load test?

Do some research on the gear reduction starters from fj60's. They turn the motor over much quicker, and is a very worth while expenditure.

I'd either go with an Odyssey or one of the AGM's from O-Reilly since theirs are made by East Penn. I'd avoid anything made by Johnson Controls - their stuff really seems to have gone downhill lately. It's tough, seems different manufacturers at different times have the "better" battery - then it goes south out of nowhere. Can't go wrong with Odyssey - it's just the price tag is tough to swallow. I'd avoid Optima like the plague these days too...

Sarge

When Optimas first came out, I bought a red top. That one lasted for 10 years, so when I needed a new one, I got another Red Top, it lasted 6 months...absolutely a sorry battery. Like everyone else says, stay away from them, they are not what they used to be.

A free battery is always good. For dependability, get the one that Consumer Reports recommends. It seems they have a different one every year. Lately I have been getting mine at Costco because of the warranty.

I always wanted an red top Optima but never can convince my self to purchase one.

When Optimas first came out, I bought a red top. That one lasted for 10 years, so when I needed a new one, I got another Red Top, it lasted 6 months...absolutely a sorry battery. Like everyone else says, stay away from them, they are not what they used to be.

Same story with me. USA Plant closed for good Jan. 2009. Another Johnson Control , cheap labor and no worries on pollution , so they can use the Optima name and then let quality go... And reap the rewards.

A free battery is always good. For dependability, get the one that Consumer Reports recommends. It seems they have a different one every year. Lately I have been getting mine at Costco because of the warranty.

I always wanted an red top Optima but never can convince my self to purchase one.

Save your money, I went thru 3 in 8 months. JUNK!!

FWIW, I had a pair of Kirkland (Costco) batteries in my powerboat for ten years cranking a pair of 454's. In the winter layover I'd clean them with baking soda and fill with distilled water, charge and forget about them on a unheated garage shelf.

FYI.....
Costco batteries are made by Johnson&Johnson.......

The Sears DHP & Oddysey, although made by the same co. Are not the same battery on the inside.... you know this by comparing weights.. discrepancies in weight is as little as 4 lbs, and as much as 10 lbs depending on the battery group you are looking at... i would imagine the better battery has more lead. .... but i wonder how this weight difference translate when it comes to performance & longevity......

Just about any Group 27 will work fine. Costco is nice for the price and warranty. Thier Group27 Marine is only $80 or so, and for me they last about 6 years which is double their rated life.

Recently, like the last 3 batteries, I've been buying the regular flooded batteries at Batteries Plus. They are made by East Penn in the USA, high quality, labeled Duracell. Get the Group 27 which fits well or the Group 27 Marine which also works well.

The key to battery life is charging them constantly and properly. When you are not driving, put the battery on a BatteryMinder or similar and they will be just about immortal.

Fancy AGM batteries are sexy, but cost 3 times as much and don't last any longer, so, your call.

Odyssey is Enersys who joined with Yuasa in 2000. Yuasa made all the batteries for Toyota for a long time. I had one in my 78 FJ40,
My 84 Toyota 4x4 truck, my Suzuki, Kawasaki and Honda street bikes came with them in 80's. Yuasa had great batteries. They weren't cheap but they took abuse.
I still have a couple of the old Sears Odysseys but they aren't made for Sears anymore since Sears split off Die Hard, at least according to the
customer service person at Enersys. She told me that it's been a couple years since they built for Sears

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom