Battery Light on, checked batt/alt (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all the other day our battery light came on, however truck seemed to be running normally. Voltmeter looked good, everything worked, no dips in power/whines etc. Only issue was the AHC was not working, no auto leveling, or height selection. And today I had a flicker of the VGRS light. I checked the batt today, showed 13.8, car running showed 14.1ish. Resting battery seems high, ill check it again later, it may still be the surface charge? The alternator may be overcharging? I haven't had it out yet to check connections. One more thing to note, we've developed a leak, either at the winshield or possibly roof rack that Im working on diagnosing. Damp carpet drivers side, more at the door/entry area and near the footrest/dead pedal. Not sure if this is causing a short of some kind. Under the carpet, by firewall it seemed dry to the touch, even after i poured water. I did change the alternator and battery two years ago, with possibly a duralast. As always, and input is greatly appreciated.

The alternator may be overcharging?

Sounds likely.

Edit after some more thought: what happens if you intentionally discharge the battery some?

Last edited:
Hey all the other day our battery light came on, however truck seemed to be running normally. Voltmeter looked good, everything worked, no dips in power/whines etc. Only issue was the AHC was not working, no auto leveling, or height selection. And today I had a flicker of the VGRS light. I checked the batt today, showed 13.8, car running showed 14.1ish. Resting battery seems high, ill check it again later, it may still be the surface charge? The alternator may be overcharging? I haven't had it out yet to check connections. One more thing to note, we've developed a leak, either at the winshield or possibly roof rack that Im working on diagnosing. Damp carpet drivers side, more at the door/entry area and near the footrest/dead pedal. Not sure if this is causing a short of some kind. Under the carpet, by firewall it seemed dry to the toucheven after i poured water. I did change the alternator and battery two years ago, with possibly a duralast. As always, and input is greatly appreciated.
14.1 V is not bad. Could be the water inside fuse box? without engine running do you see 13.8V? That is odd. Should be less than 13V. Try a different volt meter.

Checked it again, think that may have been the surface charge. Resting was 12.8-.9, and running it was now closer to 14.2. These numbers look good to me, any other reason the light would be triggered? Car is running fine, all accessories work minus the AHC.

What are the stored codes using Techstream?

What are the stored codes using Techstream?
Unfortunately I don’t have the software, no other codes via the scanner. I unplugged the neg terminal to check the connections at the alt, all seemed fine, and still good volts it seems. Same everything when I put the terminal back on.

Last edited:
Its super odd for sure, Id assume at least some other symptoms. Ill take off the alt this weekend, and go have it tested.

Think I may have found the culprit. Wires were touching the manifold/heat shield. And that clip was not attached, where is it suppose to go?

3DDB64BC-5C4D-43BA-B483-6F4681E03561.jpeg

802C821B-65C1-497A-8C71-4F22CFA7E917.jpeg

69596FBE-6BE0-414F-A56E-B40E4D542B2D.jpeg

3DEDB753-7021-4395-A250-340955345FFF.jpeg

Last edited:
In finishing, the wire caused a short and a blown fuse, once buttoned all up, g2g. Thanks for the input.

Matt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom