1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Battery Isolator, or hook in series?

Discussion in 'AR- Razorback Land Cruisers' started by Paul78FJ40, Feb 10, 2018.

1. Paul78FJ40

Paul78FJ40

Ok, so I got a winch, and still need to install it. I think I need 2 batteries, and I want opinions on which is better, a battery isolator, or hooking 2 batteries in series?
    Also which is better, a double battery tray, or adding another single tray on the driver's side?
    Who sells a good double battery tray?
    Thanks in advance for your ideas, opinions, and thoughts.

2. Travis 76

Travis 76

Media:
    Do not hook in series. That will double your voltage. Connecting them in parallel will not do that + to + and - to -. From what I understand an isolator keeps everything working better, more equal use and charge.

3. Paul78FJ40

Paul78FJ40

I always get in series, and in parallel mixed up.

4. nimrod712

nimrod712

I wouldn't think you would need two batteries just because of a winch... In any event, a battery controller is the way to go, in my opinion. Can't really comment on the tray, other than I would consider weight, and, depending on where it's mounted you can get away with less wire.

5. Paul78FJ40

Paul78FJ40

Thanks nimrod. I don't know if I need to have two batteries or not, this is the first time I've had a winch. I may never need it, but there were so many times years ago, that I could have really used one. Instead, I used a hi-lift jack, shovel, a lot of sweat, and so much time.

6. fjfodee

fjfodee At a Medium Pace SILVER Star

No need for two batteries for just a winch IMO. Although, I might not have the conglomerate of crap on my battery if I had a second :hillbilly:. Still works fine tho.

7. Paul78FJ40

Paul78FJ40

8. nimrod712

nimrod712

Agreed. Not necessary unless you're planning to be winching multiple times in a short period of time. And even then, I've winched four or five times in a row with no issues. If you're still concerned, I'd go with a little bigger battery and call it good.

9. Paul78FJ40

Paul78FJ40

Ok, cool. I do need a bigger battery anyway.