Battery draining to near dead after 2 weeks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm trying to diagnose a problem I've had with starting my 2016 recently. If I let it sit for 1-2 weeks, it really struggles to start. It does start the engine, but sounds like the battery is near dead. On both occasions, I drove for 2 hours to charge it back, thinking it was either cooler weather or sitting idle too long.

I used a multimeter today after driving it 2 hours yesterday from the struggled start:

Toyota TrueStart
Today's temp: 71F
Battery Age: 1 year
Amp draw at rest: Starts at 88mA and falls down to 23mA after a few seconds of waiting
Resting volts: 12.2
Engine Start volts: low point was 9.8
Running volts: 13.8

Could this be a battery issue or do I just need to start and drive the vehicle once/week? I live in the South.

At 12.2 volts resting voltage, your battery probably needs replacement. If you get a new one, it should test at ~12.6 volts when fully charged.

Have you tried to test each fuse for voltage drop? If you have a parasitic load, this will help you find it. It takes a while, but it's worth it.

Suggest getting one of these or something like it.
Amazon product ASIN B07DDDDSK9
Your multimeter numbers suggest potentially bad battery but you may also just have a parasitic load to track down.

I also use a 2 amp battery tender when I leave mine for more than a week or more just to help keep the battery charges and healthy as my 200 is no longer in daily service.

At 12.2 volts resting voltage, your battery probably needs replacement. If you get a new one, it should test at ~12.6 volts when fully charged.

Have you tried to test each fuse for voltage drop? If you have a parasitic load, this will help you find it. It takes a while, but it's worth it.
I only did the current test. I might drive around tomorrow and see if I can get the battery back to full charge. If I can't, might be a bad battery. Which is disappointing given it's only a year old.

Maybe buy a charger rather than try to charge the battery by driving to get a known full charge? You can get a charger pretty cheap (for a flooded lead acid battery)

I’m experiencing the same thing. Same battery same age.

I’m thinking it’s my towPro trailer controller… might need to put that thing on a switch.

I would start with a good cleaning of the terminals and ground wire connection. It’s possible you have a high resistance connection that’s keeping the battery from a full charge.

What’s the vehicle use between the 1-2 week sitting periods? It may be simply not enough use to keep the battery charged. Your numbers and info so far indicate you should go after that first, either with a cleaning or replacement.

I went back and looked at my Ring to determine how long it was between drives. The first time, in January, was just under 2 weeks apart. Yesterday, in which it experienced the most struggle, was 3 weeks + 1 day. Think it might be time to buy a Battery Tender or charger.

I just replaced a battery that was barely three year old. I was going about the same between times driving my rig. My spouse's buggy is nearing 10 years old and is driving barely 1-2 times a week and that 10 year old battery is finally showing its age.

For the OP, if the battery is a year old get the mfg to check it out. Might get a new one under warranty as most have a three year warranty.

I went back and looked at my Ring to determine how long it was between drives. The first time, in January, was just under 2 weeks apart. Yesterday, in which it experienced the most struggle, was 3 weeks + 1 day. Think it might be time to buy a Battery Tender or charger.
Yup! Noco and Ctek make good ones that won’t overcharge.

I have a Noco 2amp hardmount that works great.

Also my friend had two consecutive defective Toyota batteries in his 4Runner. I have one in my cruiser for now but will eventually be switching to the nicest flooded lead acid interstate I can get.

I took it to a battery, alternator and starter testing last weekend. My car barely starts after 1 week of parking and wouldn't start after 2nd week.
The guy tested everything and battery showed 650 CCA.
He said everything look perfect and it is expected that we start cars atleast once a week, if we dont start cars longer than 1 week, he suggested we should do battery tender or disconnect battery.

It isn’t super cold where I live but mine routinely sits for two weeks and starts as though it were two hours.

Edit: I mean it did this before the Noco. Needless to say the trickle charge only helps.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom