Battery draining overnight. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Truck is a 89 Fj62 with a 12HT transplant. Had some issues wit the internally regulated (12V) alternator and sent it to Mosley Motors to have it rebuilt. After getting it back I realized that some of my wiring was screwed up and had to change around the sense/trio/Lt connections to make it charge correctly and in the process of fixing those screw ups I found that the connections to my positive battery terminal were not all connected properly. As you can tell this is turning into a can of worms with my wiring! Anyway I got it charging correctly but my battery started draining overnight and would be dead In the mornings so I started checking what connection to my positive terminal was pulling amps when the neg terminal was disconnected. This connection was the culprit. It pulls about 5 amps when the truck is off and the key is all the way off and 0 amps when I disconnect this wire from the positive terminal. The truck runs and everything works when this is disconnected. Can anyone guess what this connection (fusible link?)goes to? I’m hoping I can just run without it. Any ideas? I know that positive terminal is a mess and I’ll clean it up when I get everything working. Sorry for the long post!
BC72E72A-060C-4EE1-B258-BBB8921AB5F4.jpeg

Not sure but that’s an ugly ass battery terminal and that’s a nightmare cluster of wires. I’d do new fusible links, new bat terminals, and new bat cables. Clean those bat terminals too.

The wiring for the alternator was disconnected from the battery and not from the alternator when the alternator was removed?

Have you taken the truck back to who did the engine install ?

The wiring for the alternator was disconnected from the battery and not from the alternator when the alternator was removed?

Have you taken the truck back to who did the engine install ?
Sorry for the late reply, been busy with wheat harvest. I disconnected the alternator from its wiring when sending it in to be repaired. When I got it back I installed it and it wasn’t charging. Somewhere along the way of me reinstalling the alternator I must have brushed the B post alternator wire (when the battery was hooked up) across something and caused a short that caused all these issues running back to my main battery positive terminal. Basically I’m stupid and impatient and made more work for myself than I should have . But now I’m chasing old bad wiring issues!

Not sure but that’s an ugly ass battery terminal and that’s a nightmare cluster of wires. I’d do new fusible links, new bat terminals, and new bat cables. Clean those bat terminals too.
Could you PM me with cost on new fusible links and new battery terminals? I would gladly buy them from you to try to solve these issues!

Could you PM me with cost on new fusible links and new battery terminals? I would gladly buy them from you to try to solve these issues!

I’m not a vendor. You can buy new terminals at just about any auto parts store or you can check with one of several vendors on mud if one want oem Toyota. Same for the fusible links. A marine/boat store should have some good battery cable but there are a few Mud members selling nice cable kits too.

I like the marine style terminals because they are designed for quick disconnect.

Thanks for the info, I’ll Gladly order all new from you
I’m not a vendor. You can buy new terminals at just about any auto parts store or you can check with one of several vendors on mud if one want oem Toyota. Same for the fusible links. A marine/boat store should have some good battery cable but there are a few Mud members selling nice cable kits too.

I like the marine style terminals because they are designed for quick disconnect.
sorry, I read your post wrong. I read it as “ I do” instead of “I’d do” Thanks for the help, I’ll see if I can find someone selling a kit with fusible links,

Truck is a 89 Fj62 with a 12HT transplant. Had some issues wit the internally regulated (12V) alternator and sent it to Mosley Motors to have it rebuilt. After getting it back I realized that some of my wiring was screwed up and had to change around the sense/trio/Lt connections to make it charge correctly and in the process of fixing those screw ups I found that the connections to my positive battery terminal were not all connected properly. As you can tell this is turning into a can of worms with my wiring! Anyway I got it charging correctly but my battery started draining overnight and would be dead In the mornings so I started checking what connection to my positive terminal was pulling amps when the neg terminal was disconnected. This connection was the culprit. It pulls about 5 amps when the truck is off and the key is all the way off and 0 amps when I disconnect this wire from the positive terminal. The truck runs and everything works when this is disconnected. Can anyone guess what this connection (fusible link?)goes to? I’m hoping I can just run without it. Any ideas? I know that positive terminal is a mess and I’ll clean it up when I get everything working. Sorry for the long post! View attachment 2340459

Problem solved

i also have hand mad with ALL OEM parts Custom Positive battery cables too

DSCN3224.JPG

Am I missing something? Leave it disconnected and problem solved.
I was wrong, that one wasn't it. battery was still dead this morning so something is still not right. I just don’t know why all this started after I got my alternator refurbished.

Problem solved

View attachment 2344273
Problem solved

I’m not seeing the fusible link on the website. Is there a way I can purchase everything in the picture as well as the battery to starter cable on the website link?

View attachment 2344273

either my or @Coolerman will have to rebuild your existing Fusible links with Door Or New Connectors

please feel free to hit him up for the fusible links service as well

let me know how i can help

matt

Best test you can do is when you get home from driving it for a while and you part it for the night...take both battery cables off the battery. In the morning reconnect the battery and see if it fires right up. If the battery is dead then you probably just have a battery problem. If the battery starts the truck just fine then you confirmed you have a drain problem

Best test you can do is when you get home from driving it for a while and you part it for the night...take both battery cables off the battery. In the morning reconnect the battery and see if it fires right up. If the battery is dead then you probably just have a battery problem. If the battery starts the truck just fine then you confirmed you have a drain problem
See, this is why I’m on this forum. Brilliant and simple, I should have thought of that. Thank you.

Hi, remove negative cable,hook up a test light between battery and cable. Pull breakers one at a time. Light should go off. If light stays on thats the bad circuit . Then track down wire(wires) on that circuit. Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom