Battery discharges in 3 weeks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Not sure if this is normal or not. If I leave the LC in the garage for three or four weeks with the doors locked (or unlocked - I've tried both), the battery (only six months old) keeps discharging completely. Does the security system draw THAT much power, or should I start looking for some other source of the battery drain? I recharged the battery the first time it happened and drove to AutoZone to double check the battery and was told it was still perfect.

If you remove the battery negative cable from the negative post, and place a test light between the floating ground cable and ground post, as a quick general rule of thumb, if enough power is being drawn to illuminate the test bulb, then you have a parasitic draw that requires attention. You could also use a multimeter in place of the test light to see exactly what the current draw is.

Thanks. I'll borrow a multi-meter from work tomorrow night.

While testing you need to make sure all doors are shut and if there is a pin switch for the hood make sure it is pressed in (closed).

If you do have a reading on the meter, you have to start pulling fuses and replacing them until you narrow it down to which circuit has the 'leak'.

How much current is normal, as the security system takes a little?

Do have an amp(s) not powered via ignition key possibly?

I had this same problem, except my battery would discharge after only a few days of sitting. I have lots of aftermarket electronics installed so that's where I started with the test light and multimeter. Turns out the culprit was an incorrectly hooked up relay for my NAV-TV unit that never turned off. If you have any aftermarket electronics installed, start there first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom