Battery dilema (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Already been about 20 month and my 2 pol-r batteries are about dead. I guess i have to blame my vigil (alarm gps locating device) and lack of use regularly. during the winter i remove the battery ground with a kill switch so it shouldn't use any current. Any how after 2 month not using it this winter, when i try to restart the truck it wouldn't. I don't think i have a current issue, i think it is just radio memory coupled with the alarm system and lack of usage that eventually killed the bat so quickly. I even tried to reload them with a big industrial charger, but it lasted about 3 weeks and they are weak again and barely start the truck.

They still are warrantied so i could get them replace but, i hate to replace when they can be something better, if there is....

anyone here is running Odyssey batteries?

Odyssey Batteries | Battery Specifications

Eric,
If you were able to recharge the batteries, that would mean they still work, even lasted for three weeks.
Have you checked the alternator, is it charging properly?
What about a batterie test before replacing?

what would be a good test to check the alternator, check the voltage on the 24V post of the battery while it is running. If that is good, what voltage should i expect?

I guess i should do it at idle under the most load i can put?

Last edited:
No, voltage by itself is very dependant upon the charge-condition of the batteries.
As long as they need charge the voltage should read at least round 24 V but with nearly or fully charged batteries it sould read around 28.4 to 28.8 volts.
Better is to test the amps produced by the alternator.
Don't know about the equipment you have available but this test cannot be carried out with a ordinary multimeter. Depending upon the alternator Amp's can easily be in 60 Amps range. Even if you have a good multimeter, it will hardly be capable of reading values in excess of 20 Amps.

Best is to get a batterie-store to check the system. They should be able to test the system including the condition of the batteries within a minute or so. Over here this is normally for free. Don't know about it in your area :D

Just did a test, At idle, on the battery post i get 24.3V, no load what so ever, reving it goes to 27.3-4. With head light on, at idle i get 24.3V and reving it raise to 26.4-5. But the battery are low.

I will try to find some to test the alternator correctly

Not enough euh?

get yourself a battery load tester, it applies a large load to the battery. From the result you determine whether the battery has good capacity or not. I've had one similar to this one for ages, but there are other types available nowadays.

Best is to get a batterie-store to check the system. They should be able to test the system including the condition of the batteries within a minute or so.

x2 I recommend first charging the batteries if they are low (sounds like they are) then load testing them. The load test is done with an external loading and measuring tool that most auto stores, car shops and battery stores have available.

After sussing the batteries I'd perform a full field test on the alternator and see if it's going to keep your batteries charged.

BTW, if you dieconnect your batteries for months at a time as you indicated, you will want to put them on trickle chargers to keep them pumped up and healthy!

Rick

Yes, and if you don't they will get discharged in short order. Max without recharge that I feel comfortable with is three months. I removed a battery from a car to be stored over winter and when spring came it was sulphated.

Storage requires trickle charge or regular toping up, ideally once a month

I know the batteries under severe weather conditions are prone to have less life expectancy .. there a scaly to verify it within your enviroment conditions.

Eric, check the net under "desulphator" or "desulfator". That's a device that is supposed to restore a sulphated battery back to life using high freqencey high voltage pulses sent at the battery plate resonant frequency, supposed to dislodge and disolve the lead sulphate from the plates. It may be worth a look into if the batteries are not totally bloated up (=internally destroyed) from sulphation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom