battery dead - take out of PARK (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Okay lets say my battery is dead on my FZJ80 Land Cruiser. So how do you disengage the automatic transmission from PARK?

This should be a basic question, because it is real easy to kill a battery in the 80 series (thus why I have two batteries)

But no one has mention how to take the truck out of PARK so I can roll the truck to where I need it to go.

there is a overide feature (little slot) in front of you gear selector, if it has the little covor on it remove it and then gently stick your key or a small screwdriver into the slot and then remove it from park as you noramlly would.

there is a overide feature (little slot) in front of you gear selector, if it has the little covor on it remove it and then gently stick your key or a small screwdriver into the slot and then remove it from park as you noramlly would.

Yup yup!

In 7yrs & almost 100k miles of DD, wheeling/camping trips, etc, I have killed one battery and it was 10yrs old, so past time to go. It is all about battery management, don't care what type of battery you have, if you are incapable of managing it, it will be dead.

In 7yrs & almost 100k miles of DD, wheeling/camping trips, etc, I have killed one battery and it was 10yrs old, so past time to go. It is all about battery management, don't care what type of battery you have, if you are incapable of managing it, it will be dead.

Anyone can forget their lights (or any other electronic device) on :meh:

While working one of our big contracts, one of my workers decided to watch movie in my rig during while eating his breakfast and somehow managed to turn on all of my auxiliary lights (only 1200 watts worth lol) and left the key turned on so the blower fan was running :bang:

By the end of the day, the main batt was dead and if I didn't have a secondary batt, we would've been stranded :eek:

Luckily, both batts are deep cycle and everything was fine after the emergency start :cool:

I pulled small cover of this off a few weeks ago. Thought the same thing. I just stick a key in there. Did so, but the transmission still stayed locked. Will need to look a little more closely, and hear back from other who have actually tried this with success.

Maybe because I was on an incline, the truck would stayed LOCKED in PARK?

** Thanks for the tip about putting into neutral with the transfer case. Smart move. Always like an alternative plan.

Didn't know you could use a deep cycle battery for a car, thought they were marine only. What are the benefits of running a deep cycle on a car/truck?

Batteries are batteries. So long as its 12v your truck wont care if its marine or not.

And there's a small plug on the shift console, remove it, stick a pen in the hole and you can freely shift the transmission into any gear without the key in the ignition.

I pulled small cover of this off a few weeks ago. Thought the same thing. I just stick a key in there. Did so, but the transmission still stayed locked. Will need to look a little more closely, and hear back from other who have actually tried this with success.

Maybe because I was on an incline, the truck would stayed LOCKED in PARK?

** Thanks for the tip about putting into neutral with the transfer case. Smart move. Always like an alternative plan.

You may be one of the majority that put the car in park BEFORE applying (or even using) the handbrake? If you are then it is possible the incline 'loaded' the parking pawl and it would take a good yank (no pun intended) to release it.

regards

Dave

Didn't know you could use a deep cycle battery for a car, thought they were marine only. What are the benefits of running a deep cycle on a car/truck?

Trying not to hyjack the thread and of course start a 'this battery is better than that battery war' you can have starter only, long drain 'leisure' batteries or a dual purpose versions, add to this the multiple construction types it can be a minefield. As mentioned it is more about how you look after a battery because all styles/types can be destroyed without the correct care.

regards

Dave

This has been hashed out in the winch & recovery forum, check it out for your self. But a true deep cycle battery should not be used as a starting battery. You can get away with it for a while, but you will soon ruin it. The deep cycle is meant for a long slow discharge, like running small appliances or trolling motors. It's not for high amperage use, like starter motors or winches. There are much improved dual-use batteries available now that you can use for both a starter battery and a winch battery. IIRC one of the best is sold by Sears. I think it's called the Die-hard Platinum.

I have had a starting battery short the plates out before, it was only a couple of years old and did not live a hard life, so it's possible to be out of "juice" through no fault of your own. I think the better AGM batteries are less likely to have this occur, maybe?

This has been hashed out in the winch & recovery forum, check it out for your self. But a true deep cycle battery should not be used as a starting battery. You can get away with it for a while, but you will soon ruin it. The deep cycle is meant for a long slow discharge, like running small appliances or trolling motors. It's not for high amperage use, like starter motors or winches. There are much improved dual-use batteries available now that you can use for both a starter battery and a winch battery. IIRC one of the best is sold by Sears. I think it's called the Die-hard Platinum.

I have had a starting battery short the plates out before, it was only a couple of years old and did not live a hard life, so it's possible to be out of "juice" through no fault of your own. I think the better AGM batteries are less likely to have this occur, maybe?

A typical marine dual purpose would be the blue top sold by Optima, it will start/troll/wich/fridge/lights ect

Sorry but don't say I didn't warn you :D

regards

Dave

To the original question: is it normal for my '91 to have a button instead of a slot which overrides the ignition switch and lets you move the auto gear selector, or is that because of the transmission difference.

I have seen a version that has an elongated rubber 'bung' in front of the shifter lever, prise that out and insert an old key/screw driver ect. Another I have seen is a small long button which was coloured orange, if you pressed that at the same time as you moved the lever then this allowed the lever to move, which went with what transmission I cannot answer.

regards

Dave

A typical marine dual purpose would be the blue top sold by Optima, it will start/troll/wich/fridge/lights ect

Sorry but don't say I didn't warn you :D

regards

Dave

Wasn't meaning to indicate it failed because it was a "starting" battery, just that a battery can fail, even though you "take care of it".

I don't think I read any of the posts properly just noted the topic drifting and thought I would have a little fun, because the battery topic is like a fire cracker waiting to be lit, I came with the matches :D

regards

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom