Battery dead, locked out, key only works in ignition. Options? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Currently locked out of my dead cruiser at home.

Bought my 1995 FZJ80 7 years ago, one of the POs had a lot of rekeying done -- the key that came with it works in the ignition but none of the exterior locks. About a year ago I went to the dealer and had them cut me a brand new key based on the VIN and it didn't work in ANY of the locks (not even the rear hatch). My only way in has been using the original keyless entry keyfob.

The battery died for some reason (either a bad battery or from some current drain) and I'm currently locked out.

Tried to remove the front grille so I could get at the hood release mechanism, but apparently my 95 has grille screws at the top that are inaccessible unless the hood is open, and it looks like the hood release mechanism is covered up by some stamped steel piece anyway. I read some other threads that indicated the LX was basically impossible to open the hood from outside, I am assuming I am in the same boat.

1) Is my only feasible option to have a locksmith come out and pick my door lock?

2) Can a locksmith make me a key that works for the exterior door locks based on how the door is ACTUALLY keyed rather than how it came from the factory? The dealer was no help before and I don't want this to happen again when I'm out in the middle of nowhere.

Yes, a 'good' locksmith can both get you into the vehicle and make keys for the door lock. That is what I would have done.

If you could get the door open, wouldn't you be able to pop the hood latch? I've never had to get my 80 unlocked, but could a cop with a slimjim do it?

It's probably the factory alarm that's CAUSING the problem to begin with. Mine was killing my battery and decided to lock me out once and disable the ignition. 6 hours later it was no more.

Fortunately I had a key to open it.

A locksmith can use a SlimJim to open the door and then make you a key to fit. If it were me, I would buy a complete lockset and ignition from a wrecked truck with a key and replace ALL of them.

If you could get the door open, wouldn't you be able to pop the hood latch? I've never had to get my 80 unlocked, but could a cop with a slimjim do it?

Yeah the hood latch is in working order (last I checked a few weeks ago), but I do want to get a working door key to carry around. I'm just imagining being on a camping trip and having my keyfob get destroyed somehow and being locked out at some rural campsite. Would probably have no alternative but to smash a window at that point.

Yes, a 'good' locksmith can both get you into the vehicle and make keys for the door lock. That is what I would have done.

Hmm, guess I'll try to find someone locally, I'm guessing that won't be cheap. I guess I'll go out and hit the exterior locks with some lube and try one more time with both keys just in case.

Really puzzled as to why the dealer cut key didn't work, I can't think of why someone would have all the doors rekeyed in the first place.

Lots of people forget the rear hatch, have you gave that tumbler a good shot of WD40 & worked it over?

Try any & all keys you have for it, you never know.

It's probably the factory alarm that's CAUSING the problem to begin with. Mine was killing my battery and decided to lock me out once and disable the ignition. 6 hours later it was no more.

Fortunately I had a key to open it.

A locksmith can use a SlimJim to open the door and then make you a key to fit. If it were me, I would buy a complete lockset and ignition from a wrecked truck with a key and replace ALL of them.

Yeah in November I parked it for a few weeks and the battery was almost completely dead, only had enough power to unlock the passenger side doors so I pulled the battery and had AutoZone charge it up again. Put it back in, noticed the alarm light stopped flashing after only a day or two. Hard to imagine the alarm pulls enough to kill the battery in just a few days so I may have some other problems involved.

No, the alarm is NOT SUPPOSED to do that. If you have the factory RS3000 alarm in it, they are known to suddenly go wonky and do stuff like this. That's why I didn't hesitate to remove mine. I never had a FOB for mine, so I could never arm / disarm it.

Check your connections in the bottom of the DS A pillar (kick panel) because they get soaked with water from the sunroof and the connections vibrate apart and can cause more resistance and use more power.

But, yes, they are known to do this kinda stuff.

cops/fire likely won't help unless you know someone or have a kid/dog stuck in a hot car.

call pop-a-lock, they generally have a lot of experience. They will probably use a couple of wedges and the "big easy" on the front passenger door.. if they take the step of using the clear plastic sleeve to protect the paint and weatherstrip inside your door jamb you know you have someone that gives a s***.

You won't get the hood open from the front without destroying the cable and/or sheath.. don't bother.

I have a friend whom this happened to in college, after a night of partying. He chose to bash out his windshield with a 2x4 and went in that way, and drove around for a few days in the dead of mountain winter, hair billowing in the wind. Insurance replaced his windshield at no cost.

crawl under with jumper cables and hook the positive to the battery cable at the starter, negative to a clean spot on the frame... my have to wire brush a spot on the frame... make sure to hook the positive up first so there is less chance of arcing... you now have 12v to everything and the remote should work... simple and easy,

pull the passenger side door lock and take to a locksmith and have a 10$ key made, there is a code on the lock cylinder where they can make a key....

then take the 40$ left and buy beer at the next cruiser club meeting...

crawl under with jumper cables and hook the positive to the battery cable at the starter, negative to a clean spot on the frame... my have to wire brush a spot on the frame... make sure to hook the positive up first so there is less chance of arcing... you now have 12v to everything and the remote should work... simple and easy,

pull the passenger side door lock and take to a locksmith and have a 10$ key made, there is a code on the lock cylinder where they can make a key....

then take the 40$ left and buy beer at the next cruiser club meeting...

Great idea! Thinking outside the box!

I've successfully "broken" into 3 of my cars due to various key issues (read: I locked the key inside). Each time I went in through the rear upper corner of the door with something thin, slightly flexible and strong. Wire coat hanger, aluminum yard stick and something else I can't remember. It can be done if you're patient and careful, a wooden wedge like a door stop helps.

I'm not advocating this approach, but am saying it can be done if you don't want to call someone.

Some locksmiths will use inflatable "bags" to push the door frame out enough to open up and slide a tool in to unlock the door manually.

20+ year-old 80s with keyless entry will almost certainly exhibit "lazy locks". The door key cylinders have gone years without being cycled. They are most likely gummed up with solidified grease and corrosion. Take WD40 or similar and work the key in and out of the lock multiple times. Gently turn the key from side to side every time it seats. This process will eventually loosen up the tumblers so they can move into the proper position.

20+ year-old 80s with keyless entry will almost certainly exhibit "lazy locks". The door key cylinders have gone years without being cycled. They are most likely gummed up with solidified grease and corrosion. Take WD40 or similar and work the key in and out of the lock multiple times. Gently turn the key from side to side every time it seats. This process will eventually loosen up the tumblers so they can move into the proper position.

I read it that the OP does not actually have the correct door key to start with?

Regards

Dave

He said he had keys cut from VIN. It is very unlikely that anyone would have gone to the trouble to replace all of the exterior locks. I have seen multiple 80s (including my very own) that have experienced the issue I described above.

Rear sliding windows will open with minimum persuasion.

Regards

Dave

There are many ways to break into a vehicle, just ask thieves everywhere. Let's not give them more ideas, though I've used something like the method you're thinking of.

Turning the key over and trying again sometimes works. We have the original keys, they all start the car, but all have real problems unlocking the doors, especially the drivers one. So either our keys are worn or the door tumblers are warn, getting a new copy of the key does not help. But giggling and flipping the key usually works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom