Battery 101 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This makes no sense.

When the starter just "keeps running" is it cranking/turning over the engine or does the starter just spin/make noise and the engine doesn't crank? Does the starter stop when you let off the key?
Yes...my brother in law who is a mechanic told me he thought it was the choke hanging open and that is causing the engine not to turn over. I went out and looked and the flaps were wide open and the engine would not start. I fiddled with the flaps and got them to close and guess what the engine started up. So it seems like I need to clean and adjust the carburetor choke.

Don’t have your BIL help.

When you say "turn over" do you mean start? Did you pull the choke knob on the dash? It should close the flap. Does it have the stk carb?

Yes...my brother in law who is a mechanic told me he thought it was the choke hanging open and that is causing the engine not to turn over.

I‘m sure he is and no disrespect...but this is not possible.

Sounds like there might be a problem with the choke.

As Pin Head once said: "Cranking" and "turning over" are what the starter motor makes the engine do when you are trying to start it. After the engine starts, it "runs".

As Pin Head once said: "Cranking" and "turning over" are what the starter motor makes the engine do when you are trying to start it. After the engine starts, it "runs".
Ok sorry for the newbie not using the correct terminology. Yes the engine was turning over but did not start. Once I got choke closed the engine turned over and ran.

The more I think on this, it looks like pb4ugo is on track. Perhaps a short in the 'electric' choke. It may even be time to slap a stock carb on it and a manual choke.

What a newbie error....my carburetor needs to be tuned in....so it was nothing with the starter or coil...just the carburetor.
Keep reading and learning. 👍 Terminology is critical when seeking online help.

turn over = cranking = the engine internals are being rotated by the starter

start = run = the engine is ‘going’

fire = sometime the cranking engine will fire but not run. Sputter maybe. All useful terms.

So you found a choke problem. Cool! If it’s so dirty that the choke is sticking, there are probably other things that need cleaned up as well. Dig into it!! One of the great things about FJ40s is it there totally garage work-on-able. You can learn so much and do most things yourself. Welcome to the madness!

serviece manuals for most years have been scanned and can be found here for free. Search for coolerman. I think his site hosts that resource if I remember right.

And I just noticed that this thread is 8 months old……. ! Hope you’ve figured out all of what I said above and are loving your ‘40

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom