1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Batteries

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by threatminor, Aug 20, 2006.

1. threatminor

threatminor

Sorry guys every time I try the FAQ or search option it doesn't do anything, so I had to start a new thread.

In regards to upgrading my battery, it seems it's either an optima or a odyssey battery are the best ones. What are guys using? The optima has the red top and yellow top, but are the yellow tops better?

2. Grench

Grench SILVER Star

Optima D31a bateries are the biggest baddest things that will fit IMHO.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=104630&highlight=dual+batteries

The stock size is a type 27F. If you're the 2nd owner, the odds of you still having a 27F is pretty slim as they're expensive and can be hard to find. It is the same as a type 27 except the polarity is flipped.

The Optima D31a is about the same size as a 27F and since the posts are dead center, you can position the battery fairly well.

I have three Optima D31a. Two in my trail rig (the link above has my install) and one in my wife's red 80.

Free tip: Wrap a rope or, if you have it, tubular webbing around the battery before you drop it in so you can get the battery back out next time without breaking the tips off your fingers.

3. rgsiii

rgsiii SILVER Star

I just put an Odyssey PC2150 Battery in today and it is big. It is a 31 type, but is somewhat larger than the Optima 31 yellow top. The optima did not require any modification and the Odyssey required a fair amount to fit.

By reputation the Odyssey are top of the line. Having said that I own 5 Optima's and have not had a problem.

4. desertdude

desertdude SILVER Star

I have two of the yellow top 31's in the 80 no problems - lost a red top in the FJ40 and two grp 34 yellow tops in the Tacoma - they were less than a year old - I am slowly moving away from the pretty colored batteries

5. ace10

ace10

Media:
    Albums:
    you're clicking "search", then "advanced search", then entering keyword(s), selecting "80 series tech" and finally clicking "search now" but getting no results?

6. firetruck41

firetruck41

Odyssey are one of the best, from my research absorbed glass mat technology is superior to "gel cell" technology, having said that, I haven't bought one yet, I just have a cheapy. We do use the Odysseys on our Medic units (ambulances) at work and I can not recall ever having a battery problem, with any of the 4 vehicles, and they do get a heck of a work out.

7. Tools R Us

Tools R Us

The city fleets that I deal with are or have switched away from Optima's back to conventional lead acid. Due to our hot climate and the long idling times causing very high underhood temps that their vehicles see, they dry out the Optima's. They have found that they get much improved life, performance and reliability from good lead acid batteries.

This probably only applies to hot desert climates, just a data point. Our highest battery failure season is summer, where most of the rest of the country looses them in the winter. As long as they aren't frozen cold temp performance losses recover when their warmed, overheating losses are mostly permanent, the battery looses capacity each time it's overheated.

The stock truck doesn't require as much battery as most think. Mine came with a plain Interstate group 34, 500CCA, 95RC, it has worked well for my mostly stock truck. It died a couple of weeks ago and date code showed that it was made in 5/97!:eek:

8. Grench

Grench SILVER Star

Battery ramblings...

Very true. When I did my battery upgrades I did so with the knowledge that they would run a big winch (Warn M12K), big lights (yet to be purchased), a big compressor (Extreme Air), a fridge (yet to be purchased), an inverter, computer equipment, radios, computer equipment, and whatever else I found to cram in the truck.

Besides, I have a bit of a Tim Allenesque gene. Thus, two BIG batteries. Mine is a multi-year project. I won't be 'done' building it for a very long time if ever.

For my wife's truck, I was so impressed with the Optima Yellow top I had in my truck that when I bought her's I moved it right over and put two new matching ones in mine.

My brother in law has a snow clearing operation with several trucks. The blades are controlled by what are esentially winch motors. He used a wide variety of lead batteries & other. He tried Optima red tops and toasted them quick. He claims that he has never killed an Optima yellow top with several of them being in service for 3+ years.

YMMV

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">